GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old August 23rd 2003, 14:07

newbie engine builder questions

i have heard that it is best to build a stock 1600 engine fr your first engine, so you can see how everything goes together. i this a good idea?

also, would it be better to buy a kit from someone like SCAT, Bugpack, or someone like larrys offroador just piece the parts together from here and there?

would using any remanufactured parts at anytime be wrong? if so when shouldnt you use them and why?

i have an old engine i want to build from. i will be taking the case to a machie shop for inspection. if its good is it ok to reuse?

could i bumpthe 1600 up to a 1641. if i shouldnt why not? or should i jut go and build like a 1776?

what heads are good? 041, 042 , 044, eliminators? and what valves woud be good to use with what engines?

i know i have askd a ot but i want to do it right the first time!!!!

please help me learn.

thanks

neil
Old August 23rd 2003, 23:51
TitoRay

I learned a lot from www.aircooled.net as far as building a high performance engine. Go check out their help section. Great site, great guy, great parts.
It is the most informative site I have been to as far as parts information etc.
After soaking up all the info you can from their, I'd say go to www.cbperformance.com for more parts.
These are the two aftermarket sites I'd say that I trust the most. Good reps and great people.