GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old October 5th 2003, 01:13

Sorry, but I need some reminding...944 brakes, etc...

OK, so from what I understand, you can buy Kerscher rotors, and source some 944 calipers, and have vented discs up front?? It sounds to easy. I know that you have to get an adaptor to hold on to the caliper...does someone already make this......will the ones from Topline work?????? Also, are these calipers HUGH?? Will they fit under 16X7s?? I would really like some VENTED discs up front, but dont want to lay down $600+ for the kit from CSP. Will this all work this way on a 1302??

Someone please get me going straight here, I'm a little confused....

Oh, i also would like to go with CB rotohubs (see other post) out back, so this then requires a different m/c right?? Suggestions?
Old October 5th 2003, 05:14

Re: Sorry, but I need some reminding...944 brakes, etc...

Hello-

OK, so from what I understand, you can buy Kerscher rotors, and source some 944 calipers, and have vented discs up front?? It sounds to easy. I know that you have to get an adaptor to hold on to the caliper...does someone already make this......will the ones from Topline work?????? Also, are these calipers HUGH?? Will they fit under 16X7s?? I would really like some VENTED discs up front, but dont want to lay down $600+ for the kit from CSP. Will this all work this way on a 1302??

You could also use all 944 parts and spend a little time in a machine shop to make some adapter pieces to fit 944 hubs onto a VW spindle, if desired.

Oh, i also would like to go with CB rotohubs (see other post) out back, so this then requires a different m/c right?? Suggestions?

Well... one suggestion...

If you're going through the trouble of vented discs on the front, why not put them on the back, too? The 1983-85.5 944 vented rear disc to VW IRS conversion is ridiculously simple. It is 99.5% bolt-on with zilch modifications... all you need to do is put new 944 cable ends on VW e-brake cables, and you are done.

Personally, I can only see two reasons not to do this:
- don't want track width increase
- don't want 5x130 Porsche bolt pattern

Take care,
Old October 5th 2003, 06:22

Thanks Shad, yea that is the only thing, I'm going with 5X100bolt pattern, so the porsche rotors wont work. I found a site that has 944 calipers for sale, $200, that with the cost of the rotors, $265ish, it just makes sense to go ahead and buy the vented kit from CSP,close enough to the same price, with less hassle. Unless I just plain find some 944 calipers for real cheap, this is what I'll probably do. Thanks though, for your help, I appreiate it.

One quick question, do you know any info about volvo discs up front. I know the Aug 03 issue of Hot VWs had a super (the Grey Ghost) with front and rear discs from a Volvo, and was wondering what had to be done for this kind of conversion. Thanks again.