GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

View Poll Results: do i go FI or Dells?
Dells 3 33.33%
FI 6 66.67%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 18th 2002, 13:16

woohoo!

i just got me some more ponies. looks like i just cut a deal on a 2.0l 914 engine. has FI, but i last week just bought a set of 45 Dells. not sure which way i will go there. not sure of the history on this engine, but there is only one way to find out. pics are attached.

now to figure out what to do about cooling since i will eventually have to pull it and rebuild it. that is when i will consider porsche cooling. in the meantime, it is either DTM or T1.

i am way excited here.

hey, let's play with the poll function. what do you guys think. do i stay with FI, or go with the Dells?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motor-914-74.jpg (38.9 KB, 27 views)

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old October 18th 2002, 17:07

I always like a good score. Good luck with the new toy. I'm a fan of FI, but I don't really know much about the factory Porsche. I have aftermarket. I'm gonna poll for FI just because I'm not a fan of carbs.

"If you are under control you're going too slow" - Parnelli Jones
Old October 18th 2002, 18:18

The factory FI won't stand any upgrades, is not easily compatuible with an upright engine, and the parts are EXPENSIVE to replace..I pulled it off my 914 and 912E for carbs...better power, simpler and easy to fix on the side of the road.

The factory FI was great from the factory, now its 30 years old and sucks.

Those 45s are way too big for a stock 2.0 engine, make it big from the beginning, they are great for a 2270 and 160BHP@6500:-)
Old October 18th 2002, 19:20

I would love to say go FI but if you use a DTM or type 1 shroud it won't fit. Do the Dells.......Wait Jake is correct, they are way too big for your engine.....you need to ship them to me so I can find them a good home......
ken
Old October 18th 2002, 22:16

cool. i have been leaning towards the dells, but i don't know squat about FI so it is nice to have the reassurance. i am going T1 or DTM for now. plan is to run it stock until it is time for a rebuild, then go big.

jake, these are tony river's dells. i bought them a week or two ago. he told me he went over them with you and they had 32mm venturis and were jetted down a bit. they were on his 2100cc T1. do you remember those? if those numbers are true, would they be suitable for now? my long term plan is to go 2270 (not sure if i am going kit or having you build it) after i have run it down in stock form. would love to do it right now, but finances are not going to allow. i still have paint to go and quite a few other items as it goes back together.

what do you think i can get for the FI? i believe all of the parts are there.

zen

Old October 18th 2002, 22:40

I don't know Tony Rivers....I don't remember helping anyone in Atlanta with Dells lately.... a 32 vent in that big of a carb makes it really hard to tune.

They should work okay, just don't open the throttle all the way or it will kill the performance...

I used 44 Webers on my 2.0 in the 914, since I had 3 dyno sets, it drives great at 3/4 throttle or less, but when you open it all the way up it kils the power, even with 34 vents.....

The Dells are a great set up for the 2270 for sure, you need to come up and see me sometime now that you have a TIV.
Old October 20th 2002, 11:20

jake, thanks for the info. tony said (only met him once when i bought the carbs) that you are building a 2.8 for him. ???? dunno. anyway, i was buying for the future, so it sounds like i did the right thing and just have to deal with the interum.

early looks at the engine, it looks like it has been blowing oil from one of the #3 push rod tubes near the head or from the head. i will get a better look when i tear down some of it. i really need this to be a runner for now. i need at least a year out of it.

i was right in your area when i got it, but was strapped for time. i will contact you in a few weeks and drop buy. trying to finish up a few last things on the body to send it to paint and have to decide on someone to paint it.

Old October 20th 2002, 11:24

Okay, I know the Tony you are talking about....

But, I'm not building an engine for him now, maybe not ever as he flaked out on his end of the deal early on, thats a warning signal to me to stay away.....
Good luck with it, gimme a ring and set up a time when you know you'll be here....see ya.