GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old May 20th 2006, 03:10

External oil cooler/filter

Top of the morning to you fellas!

I have a question regarding external oil filters/coolers and mounting. Main question really is about the radiator itself. when the engine stops, doesnt the oil 'drain out' of the radiator back into the engine case? I can not see how this would be a good idea, unless there is a one way valve somewhere in the fitting/s? I have one here with me, but havent looked at how this set-up might work(because it is in the car at the moment, and the weather is just HORRIBLE outside at the moment!! Wind and rain like I havent seen for AGES! so I am not going out ther eat the moment hehe.)

Any insight into this might/will be of much help, before I go and strip some stuff off and drill holes onto the bodywork to mount the radiator/filter. BTW, the radiator I plan on mounting next to/above the gearbox. LAter I will fab up an air scoop to aid getting air to the radiator if needed).

Cheers!
Old May 20th 2006, 10:50

Ps. I wanted to add that after my post and thinking about it a bit more, my mechanical mind took over my dumbass-mind and figured it out(besides, I should not be allowed to post just after I wake up and have not had a cup of coffee anyway!!!). The suction starts at the sump through the 'suction cup', through the pump, through the rest of the motor and then the radiator(where the oil drains back into the sump anyway) . So there is absolutely no problem. The oil filter will always have oil(as I see it), as it serves as a 'oil pot/dam'. Lets assume that the radiator is the highest point, it will drain backwards through the oil filter(as there is no one-way valve in the filter adapter I have here) until it is empty. The rest of the oil will remain in the filter. The way I see it is that there will no oil in any of the (extra external) oil lines left. The oil in the line between the filter and the adaptor(where the original oil cooler was), will not drain out from the top(oil filter side), but rather from the bottom(adaptor side). The bigger the line for oil, the easier it is for air to enter and move up the line from the bottom (I am comparing this to a very thin and thick straw. The thick straw with fluid in will drain more easily when held upright, as the air enters from the bottom... See what I mean?).

Anyway, that is just the way I see it. Not that I wanted/assume that anyone else is not technically minded!.

I have gone on for way to long now, so I shall get off my soap box....