GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old December 18th 2012, 12:08

As it was apart, I've gone with an RCM oil baffle plate to help avoid surge.

Coolant manifold TIG'd back together, I deleted the normal heater pipe as I found as it's new role as a manual bleed I never actually got any air out of it and this way I have more space if I decide to go with a direct turbo intake under the intake manifold

Parts to make up a large bore exhaust crosspipe. I had already ported the stock item but it was still very restrictive. Grimmspeed sell one but I thought I may as well make one myself

tacked together and now ready for finish welding

Bought a set of 740cc/min Nismo phase 2 injectors, the phase 2 fuel rail can apparently be fettled to fit the phase 1 so I prefer this to using adapter rings. Note mounting tabs are on the wrong side of the rail, I might make an adapter out of a piece of 5mm plate like this...

Shiney go-faster bits have arrived! Scooby Clinic SC46 billet turbo based on a Garrett ball bearing core, good for 460bhp on V-power and an Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator to go with an uprated fuel pump and parallel fuel rail conversion.

I've had to make a new intake to suit the front entry turbo, I could have gone under the inlet manifold but it would have lengthened the intake by a fair bit.

Engine back in the car and fired up for the first time, it sounds good! This is on the old map & injectors, mainly to get the oil system primed and make sure everything on the engine is good.
http://www.youtube.com/embed/rBhGtrmA_TE

More bits arriving soon are:
oil breather catch tank
inlet manifold thermal insulating spacers
HRC 310 lpm fuel pump

Then I'll be ready for the re-map!
Old January 20th 2013, 14:46

Oil breather tank hanging off the back, there wasn't much space anywhere else! I also made up a new bracket which supports both the oil pressure senders and the Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator

I was advised by my mapper that the old Legacy chargecooler would be limiting my performance so it was time to upgrade. I considered an air/air using enlarged ducts built into the rear wings but I don't really think I've got space for it. I eventually found a very good thread on using a frozenboost type 14 chargecooler. It is apparently good for 700 CFM / 600 BHP and one person reported that when running 22psi he sees a maximum of 10 degrees above ambiant but normally only about 5 degrees which is pretty efficient in my book!

2 weeks later and this arrived in the post:

I wasn't satisfied that the system would be working well without trapping air so I decided to drill and tap a bleed point. I drilled on a tilted table on my pillar drill very cautiously as I didn't want to wreck the core! Turns out the end tank isn't completely solid as it looks but cast and it hollowed out a bit with extra clearance to the air core so wasn't too bad to do. A small M6 bolt with O-ring will serve as a manual bleed.

The turbo pipe I made up to join to the chargecooler inlet. 2" going up to 2 1/2" with a fitting for the reciculating dump valve. I had off-cuts of stainless lying around from old exhaust system build so I'm sure it will do the job fine. The 2 1/2" end joins to the chargecooler with a 3" to 2 1/2" silicone reducer elbow.

You can see a strap supporting the weight of the chargecooler off the frame above via some rubber washers to isolate it. Just in sight is a filler cap from a Suzuki motorbike which has the correct size fittings for the water pipes.

Finally I had to some some re-shaping of the bulkead panel to clear the end tank.

Now it's ready for the running in map on an ESL daughterboard, just hope the recent snow doesn't delay things...
Old January 20th 2013, 14:59

It's looking really good Rich, just in time for spring too! looks like nyou;l have a full summer of enjoyment out of it! EBI??
Old January 20th 2013, 15:43

Cheers. I think Spa is probably a better bet for a German (ish) Looker
Old January 20th 2013, 15:55

*unfortunately* im on holiday in france when spa is on so im off to EBI. Sure il see you at some UK shows though (are you displaying at Vworld?) definately want to go to Apex this year!
Old January 20th 2013, 15:57

Shame.. I'm not planning on displaying at Volksworld, I'm getting a bit sick of spending half a day in traffic so not even sure I'll go this year.. Not sure which shows I'll end up at tbh!
Old January 21st 2013, 04:48

Same as always Rich - Looks like a top quality product. I'm awaiting seeing some figures one the map is on.
Old January 24th 2013, 15:48

Update from the mapping session..

The engine runs really well, nice and smooth with very good early turbo spool. By the end of the run the new chargecooler was still stone cold so all in fairly happy! The downside is that the clutch can't take the torque, we were limited to just under 1 bar boost pressure which is fine for running in but I'll have to sort out an uprated one before getting the final map up to full boost done.
Old January 24th 2013, 16:26

Clutches and injectors always seem to be too lowly rated somehow..
Glad to hear your engine now runs so nice! :-)
Old January 24th 2013, 16:29

Wally, did you find any other clutch options? KEP seems the obvious option but I imagine I would get seriously stung by customs. Patrick motorsports lists the pressure plate and disc at $1200...
Old January 24th 2013, 17:23

You run the original 240mm flywheel size and clutch now?
Your stuck with Kennedy parts as the least expensive then I think, all other clutch makers are located in usa as well afaik. Every other solution requires custum flywheel and machining work.
Old January 24th 2013, 17:24

Yes, running the stock clutch, KEP seems about the same price as a stock replacement. Did you come across any European stockists for Porsche KEP stuff?
Old January 24th 2013, 17:27

Nope, but even if there was, it turned out always cheaper to import the parts yourself, even at 1 piece. I think we pay similar taxes and inport duties. Dollar is still weak, pound is strong, get over it LOL!
Old January 25th 2013, 16:56

WRX/Porsche Karmann cabrio 1303

Hi Rich great to see it progressing and that chargecooler is a great mod .

I will be ordering an adapter plate soon form KEP and was wondering about clutch options.You have just answered something I've been wondering about.I think now I will get KEP to supply me a clutch.If you like we could order a pair of clutches with my adapter plate and possibly save some dosh on shipping ( just a thought )

Graham
Old January 26th 2013, 02:09

Hi

Good to hear the motor is running good

Used the KEP clutch with my installation, very happy with it but is little on or off but I think I can cure that with changing the pivot on my clutch pedal.

When I bought my stuff in I had it shipped to a friend in the US he then sent me the parts one part at a time.

We pay duty on anything over $1000 including freight.

Steve