GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Wheels

Old November 5th 2009, 13:03

Backspacing on a Super

I understand the differences between backspacing and offset. Unfortunately, I do not currently have a 1302 or 1303 yet to do some measuring. I have a potential wheel deal -- which I know is putting the cart in front of the horse, so to speak -- and I'm trying to figure if these wheels are worth getting. (I'm not interested in flipping them on eBay although the thought crossed my mind.)

Does anyone know what the max backspacing (the mounting surface to interior edge measurement of the wheel) there is on a Beetle/Super Beetle for rear wheels?

Same question, but for the front wheels of a Super (1302 and/or 1303) while assuming TopLine MaXX struts, Kerscher struts or some other similar struts are being used.

From there, I can figure the wheel's width, offset and any spacers (if necessary) that might be needed with each wheel being considered.
Old November 6th 2009, 03:27

standard guards & narrow springs +40 to +50 offsets work on a 7" rim 2" wider i have 8" wide & +6 offset yet to see how much more can be squeezed under the rear but i think my mounting face is further out than stock on the rear now so it wouldnt help

oh, those 7s fit VERY close to the spring around 3mm, slight decrease in steering angle before rubbing the body, the 8s however have about 20-30mm before spring, makes a decent diference to the turning circle id imagine, not sure what stock was like in comparison though, sorry, that may help though
Old November 6th 2009, 09:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIDUB View Post
standard guards & narrow springs +40 to +50 offsets work on a 7" rim 2" wider i have 8" wide & +6 offset ... oh, those 7s fit VERY close to the spring around 3mm, slight decrease in steering angle before rubbing the body, the 8s however have about 20-30mm before spring
I can use that to compare and contrast the front to the wheels I can have access to if I want them. (I am also assuming "guards" are the same as "wings" and "fenders.")

There happens to be a 1303 "hot rod" on the Samba in the classified section. It may give a clue to the rear.

Thanks.
Old November 6th 2009, 22:45

it also depends whether its a 2 or 3 bolt front end
the 2 bolt front ends have about 15mm per side wider front track

ive got 17x7 all round on my bug which has 3 bolt topline front end and et40 rims are a perfect fit
ive got rear discs on the back which add about 10mm per side but even before these were on it didnt look any different

but if u had a 2 bolt front end u would need et50-55 on the front
Old November 8th 2009, 01:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis View Post
I can use that to compare and contrast the front to the wheels I can have access to if I want them. (I am also assuming "guards" are the same as "wings" and "fenders.")

There happens to be a 1303 "hot rod" on the Samba in the classified section. It may give a clue to the rear.

Thanks.

correct, same things different names, oh, my wheels, similar to joels, post above this, because i have rear discs sit about 8mm further out each side, & with the same 17x8 et+6 i have about 2" clearance from tyre to spring plate/upper bump stop bit, they should sit just inside the guard, havent had the body on the floorpan to see just yet though but by calculations its pretty close

** note, theres no floor under the body with those shots, thats just loose measuring of where they will sit

I have photos of narrow springs with +45s on the strut to compare to the +6's if you like, also think i have comparisons for the rear also
Old November 9th 2009, 09:04

Thanks, both, for the replies. I will see the pics when I get home as my work computer doesn't let me see certain hosting sites. These measurements should help me a lot on deciding on the wheels that are available. They're a bit extreme.