GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Wheels

Old May 12th 2006, 11:48

17" wheel fit on standard Beetle with 18mm Adapters

OK, I have read through just about everything here on whell fitment but seems that everyone either is doing this on a Super or has a norrowed front end. Also I see comments about ET 40 fitting perfectly and ET 50 or ET55 Porsche wheels fitting. This doesn't make sense that bot ET40 and ET55 fit. I have a standard beetle ball joint front end with discs on fron and drums on back all stock. I have a 4X130 to 4X100 adapter from a 914 that is 18mm thick and am trying to find out what offset on a 17X7 would fit under stock fenders. I have spent hours researching but it seems everyone else has widened fender, narrowed front end or some other modifications. Any help would be appreciated.
Old May 12th 2006, 22:46

I am not sure either... I have some 16X6 and 16X7 not sure of the ET but we can just try them on and see how they fit.

I am located in Sugar Land, TX (Hwy 6 and W. Airport)

I should be out in the garage most of the day tomorrow. Call me if you plan on coming over.

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexibeetle
OK, I have read through just about everything here on whell fitment but seems that everyone either is doing this on a Super or has a norrowed front end. Also I see comments about ET 40 fitting perfectly and ET 50 or ET55 Porsche wheels fitting. This doesn't make sense that bot ET40 and ET55 fit. I have a standard beetle ball joint front end with discs on fron and drums on back all stock. I have a 4X130 to 4X100 adapter from a 914 that is 18mm thick and am trying to find out what offset on a 17X7 would fit under stock fenders. I have spent hours researching but it seems everyone else has widened fender, narrowed front end or some other modifications. Any help would be appreciated.
Old May 15th 2006, 16:09

17 In. Wheels

Mexibeetle
I'm having the same problem. I have a set of MaXX struts and was told to use
7in. 55mm (6 in backspace) offset wheels with them,VDUB customs who did my 5x100 TT hubs said 38-42mm will work. Another article I read said 40-45mm. I as lost as you are. Can anyone clear this mess up. I really don't want to end up with a jacked up Buggy.

GunnyOz
Old February 23rd 2007, 08:05

Hi

I just found this post while looking for something else, I hope its not to late to help you. I have a 73 1300 Bug, it has a stock balljoint front end in it. I'm running 6x15 Cookies, these have a 36ET and fit nice. So if you add your 18 + 36 you would need a 54 ET wheel in a 6 inch to fit nicely, in a 7 inch wheel you would need a 67 ET, something your unlikely to find. So I think you need to ditch the adaptors and get you drums or discs re drilled.

You can have a play around with wheel ET on this page http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

Steve

Last edited by Steve C; February 23rd 2007 at 08:06. Reason: hyperlink not included