GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old September 19th 2016, 12:10

Saddle area

Good morning;
My piston skirt, I went to have relief machined in. I am not sure of the name of the area that the skirt relief contacts. I think it's the saddle area. I have seen members having the saddle area and piston skirt modded for better blow-by. Does anyone have pictures of the mods on a typeIV?
Old September 21st 2016, 08:00

I have a hard time picturing what exactly you mean?

There are some 'standard' options you can order on aftermarket pistons like JE's such as extra grooves between ring langs. Is that what you mean?
Old September 21st 2016, 13:09

Hi Walter, no it has nothing to do with the piston. It's a machining process on the case. It aids in the blow-bi of the skirt to where the skirt fits on. Its the area where the oil squirters are installed. I have seen cases massage in that area for a better blow by exiting from the bottom of piston to cylinder wall. I know what it looks like, but its hard to explain, it has to do with milling/grinding the oil squirter area, I call that area the saddle to skirt rest ahhhhhhhh. Sorry I don't know the proper nomenclature.
Old September 21st 2016, 13:15

Hi Walter, no it has nothing to do with the piston. It's a machining process on the case. It aids in the blow-bi of the skirt to where the skirt fits on. Its the area where the oil squirters are installed. I have seen cases massage in that area for a better blow by exiting from the bottom of piston to cylinder wall. I know what it looks like, but its hard to explain, it has to do with milling/grinding the oil squirter area, I call that area the saddle to skirt rest ahhhhhhhh. Sorry I don't know the proper nomenclature. There are three things left that I would like to have done on my case. 1. Have john Edwards shuffle pin my case. 2. Get that area around the squirters machined. 3. Have the case cyro treated.
Old September 21st 2016, 15:17

no worries, maybe you can use google pictures for that?
Old September 22nd 2016, 11:42

https://www.flickr.com/gp/40412896@N00/ZYrtZA
under here are breather windows, the main bearing saddles. some aftermarket liners may obstruct breathing and require matching to the case windows.
Old September 22nd 2016, 15:30

Thanks, I plan to have my cylinders and possibly the case window machined. I have seen it done on some members projects. They made it something like porting that window. The only thing about my project taking so long, is the many new ideals. At one point the 356 lifters was the mad science to have done; and now it's tool steel
Old September 23rd 2016, 11:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by effvee View Post
Thanks, I plan to have my cylinders and possibly the case window machined. I have seen it done on some members projects. They made it something like porting that window. The only thing about my project taking so long, is the many new ideals. At one point the 356 lifters was the mad science to have done; and now it's tool steel
its mainly a stock T1 case mod, the case internal breathing needs all the help on these sand castings, looking at wasser and T4 cases you can see the windows are huge, i just knock of the corners and radius under the liners with a die grinder. the castings are much better quality and finish on the inside than T1 so no need to go mad, go dry sump and cry once😎good luck.