GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old August 13th 2006, 02:42

Why 944?

I just finished flipping through 11 pages of 944 axle information and I haven't found a nice reason to upgrade. What am I gaining by going for a 944 conversion over stock type 3 IRS with Porsche pattern (5x130) CB Disc Brake conversion? This is on a early swing axle squareback that will be getting a 2056 Type IV conversion with 16" wheels.
Old August 13th 2006, 09:52

There are a number of benifits to the P-car parts over CB's disk brake kit, but the differences may not matter if your plan is to use your Type III as general transport, and not a rice killer, auto-x, or track car.

Stronger forged rear hubs from the 944 vs. the cast steel Roto-Hubs from CB. The 944 stuff includes vented rotors, a little bit better caliper, and you can find it all in a junk yard for low $$$.

Nothing wrong with CB's stuff, just that 944 stuff looks stronger, and was designed for better performance, IMO.
'83 928S 4.7
Old August 13th 2006, 15:39

That's kind of what I gathered. Plus a wider track for the wheel conversion. Thanks Yeti. Anyone else have anything to add?
Old August 14th 2006, 09:14

P-parts all the way. More pad surface, vented rotors, thicker pads (less frequent changes), OEM quality vs aftermarket, proper hub center, lighter and sexier.

Also, the price of the P-car stuff will be about equal to the aftermarket.

Lanner
Old August 18th 2006, 04:05

38mm piston cup in the 944 caliper will give you more rear bias that is very wanted and can really be used in a rear-engined car. You will still not lock-up ever.
And the 944 caliper bracket is a nice alu part!

Look up the piston cup diameter of the CB caliper... Then you will understand
Old August 18th 2006, 08:10

Wally,

What is the rear piston diameter on the CB?

Lanner
Old August 18th 2006, 08:38

Is this a trick question?
If I knew, I surely would tell right away. It wasn't meant retorical anyway
I only know for 99% sure its (much) less...
Old August 18th 2006, 11:16

Wally,

I was just curios. I remember taking a look at the 'Empi' rear disk kit, and they use Ford Taurus rear calipers. If memory serves me right, they were 36mm. The pads were tiny though, and they don't cover the disk properly.

Lanner
Old August 25th 2006, 02:51

Mark, you have discovered their secret. There is no good reason why you need to use Porsche parts. Strength is not an issue since the CB parts will never break. Stock VW trailing arms will not bend.
The reason most guys waste their time with Porsche parts is so they can boast about their "exotic" Porsche parts.
Old August 25th 2006, 03:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce2
Mark, you have discovered their secret. There is no good reason why you need to use Porsche parts. Strength is not an issue since the CB parts will never break. Stock VW trailing arms will not bend.
The reason most guys waste their time with Porsche parts is so they can boast about their "exotic" Porsche parts.
Secret? No Good Reason? Waste Their Time?
This is an interesting post. I havn't seen anyone saying he needs Porsche brakes, just some advantages of Porsche brake. In the end, it's his desicion. It's like you're ignoring every advantage Porsche brakes have to offer. Porsche brakes have several clear advantages over the CB kit. Yet you're ignoring all of them. In the end, the prices are close enough to concider Porsche parts. Sure stock vw trailing arms won't bend, but maybe he wants aluminum trailing arms for the weight saving benifits, Or he wants the increase in track. I'm also lost why you think the ones that "waste their time" with Porsche brakes are only looking to boast about their "exotic" Porsche parts. I tell people about the brakes I'm using, but it is not the main stay of my entire project. I did concider a CB kit for my car, but after waiting a few months for their company to get the caliper tooling fixed. I asked for a refund. I'm sure it's fixed now.

Mark, like I said, in the end, it's your choice. I just feel you should be given the facts clearly and with out bias.
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...

Last edited by Mikey; August 25th 2006 at 03:53.
Old August 25th 2006, 07:03

Quote:
Mark, you have discovered their secret. There is no good reason why you need to use Porsche parts.
No? People don't have to order Porsche rotors from California.

Quote:
Strength is not an issue since the CB parts will never break. Stock VW trailing arms will not bend.
CB parts may not break, but they do warp. Roto-hubs don't re-surface very well because they tend to chatter a lot on a lathe. Strength sought in the control arms is torsional rigidity, not tensile strength. It's a matter of flexing, not bending, or breaking. Remember, some people do drive their cars hard enough to warrant those considerations.

Quote:
No. They boast about what excellent brakes they've obtained for less cabbage than what CB wants for a kit with non-vented rotors, and Ford Taurus equivelant calipers.

Chist man,...Don't get so arrogant every time you're not part of the general concensus.
'83 928S 4.7

Last edited by yetibone; August 25th 2006 at 07:08.
Old August 25th 2006, 07:39

I don't want to really get involved in the 'hateration', but you can put together a Porsche setup that is financially very competetive to the 'regular brakes' out there. Performance will be in a different league.

It's about driver confidence, and that's worth the investment. I drive the bus as a daily through city/highway traffic, and the 944NA setup has probably saved my skin a couple time whereas I know that a drum setup would have me crashing into the back of the car infront of me. In a lowered bus that is a huge concern! If I ever crash that thing I'll lose my legs, literally.

I'm getting my 944 Turbo brakes ready for my bus because I'm rolling in cash and like to brag.

Lanner

Last edited by flat; August 25th 2006 at 11:50.
Old August 25th 2006, 10:46

Everybody likes the wow factor, whether they are willing to admit or not.
I've got the CB stuff on the rear of my bus and 944 up front, so I know both sides.
Next project I hope to use all Porsche because I like the look of the parts and respect the performance heritage they come from and hope to be needing some serious brake power!

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old August 25th 2006, 11:24

Don't forget, factory parts have better R&D backing than after market parts will ever have. They have certain standards they must meet in order to be approved for safe public road use.

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG
Old August 25th 2006, 13:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchnride247
Don't forget, factory parts have better R&D backing than after market parts will ever have. They have certain standards they must meet in order to be approved for safe public road use.
That is my reason, 100%. I use that justification everywhere in my project (scooby engine, 996 brakes ), if I can fit a higher performance standard part from a VM I will do, it makes getting spares MUCH easier too.

Rich