GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Brakes

Old February 25th 2018, 16:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Oh, do tell! Are they also 5,5 x 15" ?
They're about 10lbs per wheel (not sure what that is in Kg). Incredibly light. Yes, 15x5.5 with the same offset as your wheels. Only, they're made of unobtainium and incredibly expensive. If you happen upon a set for a good price (well, more likely, individual wheels), they're worth it, but unless you have a Porsche owner income, you'd be well ahead to just get custom race wheels made. https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ver-spare.html First wheel you see in this thread. Holy crap, if you read through the thread with the wheel pic, one guy sold a wheel to the original poster for $10 plus shipping. He could turn around and resell that wheel for $500 in the right place.

Last edited by H2OSB; February 25th 2018 at 16:20.
Old February 25th 2018, 16:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2OSB View Post
I asked "why would you re-invent the wheel, so to speak, when Porsche rotors are readily available?" He had no answer.
Interesting!
I think all porsche rotors (except the 914 rears) are vented and they wanted something for the type 1 market?

I'll try to measure the bolt spacing ;-)
Old February 25th 2018, 16:09

Quote:
Interesting!
I think all porsche rotors (except the 914 rears) are vented and they wanted something for the type 1 market?

I'll try to measure the bolt spacing ;-)
Their source for un-drilled rotors has dried up so they needed something to offer a 5x130 pcd for the front. A lot of potential...which I don't think they realized (well, perhaps not until I started bugging them about it)
Old February 25th 2018, 16:21

Quote:
Their source for un-drilled rotors has dried up so they needed something to offer a 5x130 pcd for the front. A lot of potential...which I don't think they realized (well, perhaps not until I started bugging them about it)
Interesting indeed.
I just measured it, but was difficult to do. I needed to sort-of eye-ball it a bit, but I think its about 112-113mm bolt spacing. What is the 944 n/a ?

They are big bolts however, like M10, not the M6 of the original 944 n/a front hubs.. (on which 911 3,2 rotors in 24mm thickness also fit BTW, but you may already know that).
Old February 25th 2018, 16:26

Quote:
Interesting indeed.
I just measured it, but was difficult to do. I needed to sort-of eye-ball it a bit, but I think its about 112-113mm bolt spacing. What is the 944 n/a ?

They are big bolts however, like M10, not the M6 of the original 944 n/a front hubs.. (on which 911 3,2 rotors in 24mm thickness also fit BTW, but you may already know that).
I suspected it wasn't the same They didn't even consider the Porsche rotor when they created those. The n/a 944 bolt circle is 126mm. I did know the later rotors would fit. Flat told me that some time back (in the event I could use those 44mm 964 C2 rear calipers on the front). I wonder if n/a 944 rotors could be re-drilled in the off spaces to fit the CB hubs? 944 rotors are dirt cheap (I bought my set for $13 per side). I MAY try experimenting to see if it would work.

Edit: NVM, I just went out and looked at my 944 rotors. There's not enough meat to the inside of the 126mm bolt circle to drill M10 holes, much less on a tighter bolt circle. If the CB hubs don't have enough meat outside their bolt circle for a M6 holes, it's a non-starter

Last edited by H2OSB; February 25th 2018 at 16:34.
Old February 25th 2018, 16:35

Is it that difficult to find 944 n/a hubs then? I thought they just needed two (or even just one?) adapter sleeves for the bearings to fit the beetle spindles? 944 is alu too and the CB hubs can't be bought separate iirc?
Old February 25th 2018, 16:38

Quote:
Is it that difficult to find 944 n/a hubs then? I thought they just needed two (or even just one?) adapter sleeves for the bearings to fit the beetle spindles? 944 is alu too and the CB hubs can't be bought separate iirc?
Nah, that's doable. They are getting a bit more difficult to find, but I think I have 3 sets. The difficult part is finding someone to do the machine work. Flat does that work, but he's only at it part time and has a huge que of people who want his work. Most of my local machine shops try to send me elsewhere. They don't like one-off projects and cannot comprehend why I'd put custom brakes on a Beetle.
Old February 25th 2018, 16:42

Quote:
CB hubs cannot be bought separate, but the hub/rotor is not expensive compared to, say, custom made hubs. You can buy the rotors separate. They're about $50 per side, versus the hub/rotor together for about $159 per side. Buy the set, remove the rotor and resell for $45. Cheap hubs, made for the VW spindle and in a 5x130 pcd.
Old February 25th 2018, 16:43

Quote:
They're about 10lbs per wheel (not sure what that is in Kg). Incredibly light. Yes, 15x5.5 with the same offset as your wheels. Only, they're made of unobtainium and incredibly expensive. If you happen upon a set for a good price (well, more likely, individual wheels), they're worth it, but unless you have a Porsche owner income, you'd be well ahead to just get custom race wheels made. https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ver-spare.html First wheel you see in this thread. Holy crap, if you read through the thread with the wheel pic, one guy sold a wheel to the original poster for $10 plus shipping. He could turn around and resell that wheel for $500 in the right place.
Ah, yeah, I saw a 356 outlaw or some custom coach one with these back then. That is also where I got the idea to use these. I had one set welded +1,5" for the rear only for drag racing a few years ago and they holded up fine. Welded very easy, so very good quality alu I was told :-)
I had one in 16", but without the outer holes, but still rare I think. Edit: I see this was the hot one...and I sold it for what I got it indeed an outlaw builder for 250 euro's...
Mine are older 928 spares ;-)

BTW the 356 ones are 11 lbs. Pretty close to my 5,3 kg (11 lbs or so) I think, but yeah, very rare!
Old February 25th 2018, 17:37

Quote:
I If the CB hubs don't have enough meat outside their bolt circle for a M6 holes, it's a non-starter
Hmm, there is plenty 'meat' to drill a wider pattern I think. Seems pretty solid, but the disk is still on it. I'll look sometime coming days to get you more info
Old February 25th 2018, 18:00

The trouble with drilling into the hub in the offspaces is that's where the studs are. Is there enough room inline with the current holes to drill an M6 hole? Perhaps offset betwixt the M10 holes and the studs?
Old February 27th 2018, 19:28

[/QUOTE]

Man, I really like those rims. What car did they come from? Are they 15 inch?

Last edited by effvee; March 1st 2018 at 00:56.
Old March 3rd 2018, 04:37

Quote:
The trouble with drilling into the hub in the offspaces is that's where the studs are. Is there enough room inline with the current holes to drill an M6 hole? Perhaps offset betwixt the M10 holes and the studs?
To answer that, I took a few pix for you. In short: yes, I think there is enough meat and room for additional M6 studs
In fact, the CB whole hub is dimentionally very close to the early 944 hub.

@Francelle: the answers to your question are already given in the posts above ;-)
Old March 3rd 2018, 05:26

Ok, I will read again.
Old March 3rd 2018, 09:42

Quote:
To answer that, I took a few pix for you. In short: yes, I think there is enough meat and room for additional M6 studs
In fact, the CB whole hub is dimentionally very close to the early 944 hub.

@Francelle: the answers to your question are already given in the posts above ;-)

Thanks Wally for the great pics. That hub has a lot of potential. That said, it's looking real good with my 914 caliper on 944 rotor set up. Write up soon to follow. Turned out to be FAR easier than expected...particularly with how little I've spent.