GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old December 12th 2007, 23:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkdent View Post
The top mount version would provide safety if the mount failed, but would seem to make removing the tranny quite a bit more difficult, as well, when the tranny is loaded during acceleration, the top mount will be in expansion, not compression, and this force is going to be working every time you accelerate.

As well, as I recall, those mounts have a bolt running through them, not just into the rubber, so the safety is there regardless? Might want to look at more modern motor and tranny mounts, if your fabbing up might as well make use of something with a better design?

My 2 cents...

Jason
Well, that much I allready have studied that the upper version is easier installed. To install the transmission with the lower version you always have to remove the mount from the transmission before you can pull it out. (on a splitty as the splittys have the crossmember on the framehorns.)

With the upper version you just loosen the rubbermounts and pull the whole thing.

An other aspect would be that when you "motor brake" or how you say it the upper version will just compress the rubbermount where as the lower mount will expand the mount. Same thing also with no power on the drivetrain the weight of the engine and transmission will tend to expand the rubbermount.

I'm now trying to find a original 911 mount including the rubbermounts as those work differently, not just two plates with molded rubber in the middle.

If I use these I think I can make the lower type (original 911 style) with no problems...

Old December 14th 2007, 08:51
skywalker

Quote:
Not so sure that's a sound replacement for hacking out the middle of the torsion tube. The top square tube is welded to thin sheetmetal with no additional plate to spread the stress. That will fatigue in no time IMO.

Jason
You are right Jason, but this picture was taken half way the modification. The modification was made by The Bug Box in Germany and they do know how to finish it too:

Just have a look at the whole project here (in German, but the pics will tell the story).

This is how I did mount my 914 gearbox in my splitbus, with parts of Martin from bugat5speed.

My complete project is now also available in English, here

Last edited by skywalker; December 14th 2007 at 08:55.
Old December 14th 2007, 08:57

What did you do to the torsionbars? Lose them and make some other spring system, Coilovers or what?

In my case I try to not cut into the torsiontube though...
Old December 14th 2007, 10:54
skywalker

I didn't want to cut the torsion tube either, but I did want to lose the torsionbars.

I have coilovers on my splitbus at all wheels. At rear with a rocker-system.
More about suspension at page 7 in my project topic at vdubheaven.com.

Old December 14th 2007, 21:24

Skywalker, why the rocker system? I can't see the advantage of it in your application, but it does look cool!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old December 15th 2007, 03:45

I can see the advantage. I'm in the same dilemma. Lack of room, you can see that the joint that goes down to the stock shock mount is in an angle.
You couldn't mount the shock in that angle.
Old December 15th 2007, 08:40

hi

I read the build up on that webpage, wow you have really done some fine work, congratulations.

Steve
Old December 15th 2007, 09:33
skywalker

Quote:
Skywalker, why the rocker system? I can't see the advantage of it in your application, but it does look cool!

Jason
Hebster52 is right, there's not enough space for these coilovers to mount directly to the rear arms. The coilovers would simply rub against the IRS axle boots. A (small) advantage: there's less weight to the suspension.

@Steve, thanks. There's still some work to do tho.

Luuk
Old December 15th 2007, 10:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
hi
I read the build up on that webpage, wow you have really done some fine work, congratulations.
Steve
I second that!

I think there is room for improvement in the rocker though, you could redo the angles so that it acts like a progressive spring, getting stiffer when under more compression, which will let the bus be more stable on hard cornering. I'd also try to get the pivot point in double shear, could you make a bracket to reach over to the other side of the bearing?

Definitely another nice project to follow!

Rich
Old December 15th 2007, 17:57
skywalker

Thanks Rich. I appreciate you input, but I have to set a line some where... Same as with the brakes. For now a drum at rear, if it does not meet my standards I simply can go for 944 discs after the bus is finished.
The oil pressure in the shock mount is already adjustable and I 'm not building my bus for the racetrack. The suspension will be a lot better as with the torsion bars. It 'll do I guess.

Luuk
Old December 19th 2007, 02:41

The 901 frontmount arrived yesterday. I decided to use stock 911 rubbermounts instead and will now adapt that to the steelplate I have made for my transmission. This will atleast work correct from the underside too..

The two others are the rear enginemount rubbers...
Old December 20th 2007, 10:33

Several very impressive projects!

Makes me miss my old girl.

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old December 28th 2007, 04:00

Took my VW flywheel to a friend of mine who makes race parts etc. himself. I also gave him a 911 flywheel I borrowed to take measurements from. So hopefully during January I will have a VW flywheel that fits the 911 engine..
Old February 26th 2008, 02:49

Modified the 911 front transmission mount to fit the new location:

Started boxing the rear frames to give more support for the heavier engine.

Old April 17th 2008, 03:09

Last moth I got the intermediate transmission mount fitted so I could confirm that the engine woud fit inside the enginebay without cutting the decklid.

When my kid came in he shouted WOOAAAHH, COOL!!

Finally got started working on the rear engine support this week.

Here in the making. Will be reshaped some to look more "factory"..

Not much change since that until yesterday when I recieved the custom made flywheel that will attach the boxersix to the superbeetle transmission. It is made from a late 12V 200mm flywheel with a welded in custom made center. Final weight is now appr. 6.5 kg.

The boltpattern is pretty interesting..