GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Off Topic

Old October 22nd 2006, 22:39

Question to those with young kids

My son has recently had to go to the ER/Get admitted for RSV, Upper Airway infections, Broncialitis.. tonsilitis.. seems like every itis that can be caught he gets..

Was born full term, and my wife does suffer from asthma..

Seems like we (Ped and Us) going to be running some more tests, and hopefully determine what the trigger is..

It always starts as a cold, or congestion in the nose, and then he starts breathing awefully hard, and has some difficulty. Then its off to the ER, then get admitted, and then many meds.. and patience..

He is 13 months old.. and we are concerned.. Maybe its allergies, or something, we will be heading back to doc to figure this out..

Anyone have a similiar story.. or suggestions..

We have a dog, and it doesn't seem to be her, except she did go to the parlor to get cut and cleaned. Maybe the dog shampoo?

We have tried to see what was different, but can't figure it out..

VR
Alex
Tele: 973 204-5463
Old October 23rd 2006, 12:35

Sorry to here about your son. My youngest son had food allergies (so they said) when he was about five months. He was breast fed, and the Doctors had my wife on some strange diets to find out what it was. After changing Ped's the new Ped checked his digestion system and found a blockage in his lower digestive tract. It was a thin membrane from birth that wasn't completly cleared by the Doctor when he was born. Once the membrane was broken all the way, no problems eating what so ever.

So, I guess what I'm saying is get lots of Doctors opinions. Make sure they check everything, no matter how simple it might be. Have you checked the type of detergent his clothes, and sheets are washed in? It's no fun when someone you love is having health issues, and you feel helpless. Sorry again.

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG
Old October 23rd 2006, 16:02

hey my girlfriends has been a nurse for about 6 years now and is just starting Med school so when I talk to her next time I'm going to ask her for help she only deals with kids too. may get you some good web sites and that too
07 Chevy 3500 Dually
Old October 24th 2006, 09:42

I second the second opinion.
Even if you trust your pedi doc, if it doesn't seem to be getting resolved, another set of eyes never hurts. Even the best docs don't know every angle or procedure. Be comfortable with your pedi doc and always have them explain anything that doesn't ring true.
I always go home after an office visit and get on the net, look up all the big words, medicines, proceedures, etc. It makes me tons more comfortable when I have to discuss it later.
My wife has lived with undiagnosed allergies for years. Takes suppressors, inhibitors, blockers, you name it. Impossible to find the trigger in her case, has had all the tests without luck. Some days are rough, some without symptoms. Nothing as severe as your son has.
Usually a reoccuring infection is a sign of a diminshed immune system, but he's so young, he may not have much of one to start with?
Sorry, I'm just an EMT with no kids, but still my sympathy goes out to you guys. Respiratory stuff is one of the toughest mysteries to crack.

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old October 24th 2006, 10:00

It sounds like allergies that turns infectious from the symptoms you describe. Once there is an infection, it can manifest itself in many ways. That is terrible that it is happening with a 13-month old.

If the doctors are going with antibiotics and steroids, they are trying to delete the problem. With a patient that young, it is probable they are keeping the doses very low and will step up as necessary. If it the type of infection I am familiar with, the symptoms can subside but the infection is lying dormant waiting for the next allergic episode.

Once the infection is totally eliminated, the doctor can more easily address the allergy itself -- likely an environmental allergy that may be seasonal.

I am not a doctor and I am only pontificating from our family's experience.

It is important that you address this through your pediatrician, family doctor, an ENT, or an allergist (if that is what is being determined and solutions are ellusive). The ER is good for that specialty only -- a single event -- not necessarily for a lifestyle prognosis.

Good luck.
Old October 24th 2006, 12:51

NO kids here yet (just 23:P) but had two rough times in hospitals.
first one when i was about 50-60 days old in Saudi Arabia (dad worked there and mom took me after giving birth to in Athens, Greece). got sick from another kid and went straight to the hospital with 40.5 C fever after a day or so. fever lasted a few days and the only thing to get it down was peniciline...
second when i was 6 or 7 got laringhitis (air stream infection) of the worst scenarios. woke up cos i was suffocating, parents got me to the hospital. stayed in for about a week. 24-7 inside a specialy covered bed with a humidator ?correct?, in order to "soften" the irritation in my throat. given mainstream medicine.

I come from a country with great doctor's culture and im proud of it (Greece) . What im trying to say is get a few opinions. and try to get opinions of doctors from different ethnicities. no offence but is the best way imo, because in some countries a certain practice would be an extreme act, while on another could be everyday's.
personally i hate medicine. My advice is take the less u can (ex dont when u have just a funny headache) so they can have a full effect when u really need them.

IMHO the american way is wrong because they give u medicine for nothing. so your body learns to live with them and becomes even more vulnerable to diceases and infections. IMO the best way to develop a fully functioning defence system is to live in a clean environment, but not hystericly clean, so your system comes to constant "battles" with potentially harmful bacteria.
its the only way to have your system constantly "upgraded"

PLEASE do not take what i say for granted. Im only 23and only child, so i cant say i have too much experience. Only sick-free the last 7-8 years.

Chris

1973 1303 going towards GL
Old October 25th 2006, 08:17

I love it when there are those from "the rest of the world" who make general statements about Americans -- meaning those from the United States -- the most diverse country in the world. They typically just show how little they know.

Our daughter had "just a fever" and my wife and I delayed doing much about it. When we did contact the pediatrician, he was not particularly alarmed and proceeded with caution when it came to treatment. This attitude almost cost our daughter permanent hearing loss.

So, yes, by all means ... get extra opinions. And if you get the extra opinions in the USA or in our great neighbor to the north, diversity will be built in.

And get the opinions from doctors, not a naive foreigner who views 300 million people with diverse backgrounds and heritages as one.
Old October 25th 2006, 09:47

Im really sorry if i didn't make it clear (oasis). Of course seek profesional advice/ care if the symptoms wont go way or at least fade. Its true though that a constant use of certain medicines may cause other problems (ex. antibiotics can cause stomach problems because they reduce the natural "bacteria" that live inside a persons stomach, so a special diet is required along with another pill that protects these "bacteria" and even sometimes this isnt enough.Mom has this everytime she gets antibiotics.)

Many times a headache may be caused my improper eating ( low- protein, and very low cabs) and can be overcome with a proper meal and some rest instead of painkillers. Every person's systems acts and reacts differently so many things can't apply to the same extent to 2 persons...

Probably u didn;t understand what i said about peniciline on my incident. Its one of the world's heaviest antibiotics that has caused many dismorphia to many kids around the world. Consider my parent's anxiety when they gave the go to the doctors to give me this. Fortunately in the family there isn't any known allergy to peniciline, but could have it. So what could happen if I was allergic to it? add the condition i was in and at what age ( ~50 days old and on 40+ fever) and use your imagination. Even for an adult this kind of fever is considered lethal.

Anyway, I dont find it proper to argue with anybody after a friend of ours asked for help for a medical issue of one of his family member ( even if it was a pet).
So Alex, I hope that the doctors can find the reason for your son's thing, cure it properly and quick and that he will be ok for the rest of his life. Positive thinking and trying to pass positive energy to others helps imo, even if its an infant... Its amazing how many things a kid can understand, even if it doesnt seem to understand a spocken language.

Chris

1973 1303 going towards GL
Old October 25th 2006, 15:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle1303 View Post
Im really sorry if i didn't make it clear (oasis) ... Probably u didn;t understand what i said about peniciline on my incident.
I didn't address your incident. I addressed your statement from the soap box:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle1303 View Post
IMHO the american way is wrong because they give u medicine for nothing.
I am sorry you didn't understand ... and your apology is accepted.
Old October 25th 2006, 18:30

Thanks gents.. Took the advise of seeing different doc or in this case started with an allergist..

Some of the basic test proved negative.. so we are still searching.. I think it was oasis you mentioned allergies that turn infections and manifest themselves in the worst way..

Appreciate the sounding board.. lot of good thoughts to go on from everyone..

Keep them coming.. since I still haven't resolved the issue and unfortunately we are one allergy away from a repeat..

VR
Alex
Old October 25th 2006, 19:07

bug@5speed I'm sorry it's taken some time but the past few day haven't been the best me and the girlfriend broke up so I'm sorry that I can't get anyhelp from her for you. but ya just keep at it and good luck. I'm going through something that they still don't really know what's going on, but that's a huge story to type lol.
07 Chevy 3500 Dually
Old October 27th 2006, 15:10

Kids and colds...

I've been a nurse and worked with kids in hospitals and this isn't all that uncommon. Your child sounds like he might have "reactive airway disease." It's not a "disease" but a non-specific term for "asthma" and a few other respiratory problems. Many small children experiencing symptoms are classified as having asthma but some doctors term it reactive airway disease at this stage as the child is still young and not every wheezing attack is asthma. There is specific criteria for asthma and some kids eventually outgrow this phase. Not all children who wheeze have asthma and many children under three years who wheeze are not predisposed to asthma.

Basically, as adults, we can fight infection and deal with the common cold/RSV. Small children have a hard time with infections because of the fact that their immune systems are not fully developed yet. Breastfeeding helps because mom's antibodies become some of the baby's antibodies so the baby can fight infection much better.

Also, as adults, we have large airways. Little children have tiny airways and that causes a lot of problems for them. When a bacteria or virus or even an allergen enters a body, the body tries to fight it with inflamation of the airways, mucus production and sometimes hyperresponsiveness of the airways (the muscle around the airways constrict). This slight narrowing of airways in adults usually isn't a problem as we start off with large airways but with kids, this slight narrowing closes most of their airways. Kids with this present with respiratory distress ranging from mild to severe shortness of breath, wheezing, cough, the snuffles and fever.

Many times, children have a common cold and then develop the asthmatic symptoms. Often, the cold is precipitating trigger for their symptoms.

So your child may or may not be asthmatic. Time will tell. If there is a specific trigger, you'll find it eventually. Hope this helps. And remember, don't take what I have written here as perfect, please talk about this with your pediatrician
Old October 27th 2006, 17:14

Bug Byte..

Thanks for the info.. From what I gathered, it coinsides with what you have mentioned.. except you were kind enough to put it all in one area..

As you mentioned colds seem to be a trigger.. just have to be extra, extra careful..

Thanks for taking the time... appreciate the insight, and its comforting to know I am not the only one..

Now if they only put a chapter in the Parent Handbook I would be a little better
Thanks
A