GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old April 16th 2006, 00:40

Welcome aboard. Do you have a site?

Your project sounds freaking insane. I'm sure you'll stur it up with the vintage crowd.

Personaly I would have built a "low light" Ghia for my Subaru Project, but I couldn't find one in my price range, cheap.
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...
Old April 16th 2006, 11:34

My question is ... how does a guy from Cali end up in Columbia restoring cars? I am sure there is a great story behind it!
Old April 16th 2006, 22:08

Heres my conversion. Been running since late 2004. After owning the car for 15 years it's definantly the best thing I ever did.
http://www.superbeetlesonly.com/foru...y&cmd=sc&cat=6

regards
Jak

http://www.superbeetlesonly.com/foru...y&cmd=sc&cat=6
Old April 17th 2006, 18:35

Smile

Actually my wife is from Bogota, Colombia, her whole family is down here, I was working in Miami as the director if IT, for a friend's wood products manufacturing company, I used to put in 15, 16 hour days, day in and day out, stressed our of my mind, one day after coming down here to bogota for Christmas, I asked the wife if she felt like "dropping out" of the "dog race", she was hesitant at first, but said she would support whatever descision I made. I came down from Miami a few more times, started setting everything up, gave my 6 months notice, and have never looked back, we have been down here 16 months now, and have no regrets, I started restoring BD buses (pre 55 VW buses), started selling some, overseas as projects, started making the metal parts to restore these cars properly, I have since started importing convertible early ghias and beetles for South American "consumption" (not many were originally imported), and things are moving right along, this place is nice, it has the usual problems a big city has (7 million people), the traffic is mad, the people are ok, I have never felt threathened, or intimidated, the best part about this place is the country side, man it is amazing, that is the main reason I do not want to leave, I have been all over the world 10 times over, but this place has the most amazing vistas, foliage, wild life, plants etc. But back to cars, this situation allows me to try and build the cars that I have always wanted to build, the BD bus and lowlight convertible ghia that I want to build will blow the socks off the VW crowd, some will like it, some will hate it, some will want to kill me, but there is no way in hell you will not comment on it, you guys are the "initiated/illuminated" ones, you guys understand what it is all about, 95% of the others do not understand, screw them, they do not know what they are missing out on, again, glad to be here, glad to be part of this.
Old April 17th 2006, 20:21

Can hardly wait for more info on the bus and the ghia . Welcome aboard , gerson - nice to have ya here!
Old April 18th 2006, 00:24

What transmission you Suby guys using? I am looking into the conversion but I don't think a stock T1 trans will last long with a 220hp N/A Suby motor. Is anyone using a bus trans? Does KEP sell the bus to Suby adapter?

Mike
Old April 19th 2006, 01:55

Personaly, I'm using a 914 converted to rear engine. There are a few other tranny's being used too. G50, 915 is popular (I might end up changing to a 915, maybe) You could say mostly Porsche. But there are still a few Vw trannys. My biggest thing is I wanted a 5th(or just a tall gear) for highway crusing and, unless I'm mistaken, It would have cost A LOT more to beaf up a bug tranny.

I'm sure Kennedy could make an adapter to bus. The subaru conversion is pretty popular conversion in the water cooled Vanagons.

Last edited by Mikey; April 19th 2006 at 02:04.
Old April 19th 2006, 20:32

someone correct me if im wrong... but i believe the bus and bug bell are the same (shape anyway) so the adaptor should be the same one for either trans
Old April 19th 2006, 22:20

You're correct. They have similar shapes. But the bus uses a 215mm flywheel and the bug uses a 200mm flywheel.

I think I could have been able to just order my adaptor kit with a bug flywheel and it would have worked in my 914 tranny. I wasn't 100% sure, so I just ordered it with the 215mm flywheel.
Old April 20th 2006, 00:51

Quote:
What transmission you Suby guys using?
IRS Pro street (3.88 ring and pinion) with all the goodies, seen a guy in Australia using the same type on a WRX STI powered bug in races and the trans can take it.
Old April 23rd 2006, 17:38

On my Subaru engine I decided to turn the intake around. In doing this I had to modify the stock alternator mount and find a new way to make the alternator adjustable. I managed to make the stock alternator mount work the way I wanted it to, by supporting the alternator on the right side of the engine. But I still needed an adjustable mount. I tried useing our plasma cutter, but it didn't work as good as I hoped. After glancing in my Summit catalog. I found an alternator bracket. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku I orderd that and my coil pack. I took the bracket yesterday, and after drilling 2 holes in it. It was mounted. It doesn't look too bad either. It's a little long right now. But I'll either cut it off later or use it to mount the EDIS sensor. I ran into two problems; First, I had to space the new alternator bracket away from the alternator and the alternator mount. If I didn't the new bracket would have hit the alternator. Second, I drilled the two holes over sized to allow more movement of the alternator. If you'll notice from the pictures as the alternator moves the bracket moves.

The first two pictures are the same, the alternator is as far away as it can go. and the last is as close as it can go. Tim will help me find a belt, and once I find a size I'll post it. I thought maybe I can drill the two holes a little bigger and get a little more movement, but I'll wait to see if I can get a belt first. I'll make sure I get two. That way if it breaks or wears out, I can replace it easy. I know the questions I'll get, "What kind of car is it on?"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alternator Bracket 001 (Small).jpg (57.0 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg Alternator Bracket 002 (Small).jpg (57.3 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg Alternator Bracket 003 (Small).jpg (57.8 KB, 85 views)
Old April 26th 2006, 17:28

Is it safe to draw the conclusion, no one found that helpfull?

Anyone know where I can find a wireing diagram for my Subaru engine. I need it to go by the colour and the shape of the connectors. It's a JDM EJ20T. No clue what kind of car it's from.

I'm getting ready to start hooking up the engine, I have my Megasquirt, the harness for the megasquirt, and I'm gathering my parts for the EDIS.
Old April 27th 2006, 03:36

Keep up the updates, I'm very interested in the MS install!
Rich
Old April 27th 2006, 06:51

NZ Subaru powered bug

Hey check out my mates bug he's in NZ and has a Subaru powered bug his log in is VW1302RSi he e-mail me today with the pictures. Phil
Old April 27th 2006, 13:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey
Is it safe to draw the conclusion, no one found that helpfull?
I did. It helped me decide to go with a throttle body inverter rather than flipping the manifold around!

George