GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old July 22nd 2008, 23:27
vwdevotee

As far as the rear suspension goes for a mid engine layout. What options are there? One could clip a boxster suspension, or custom fab some a-arm job? What about retaining trailing arms (converted to 951 of course). Could a boxter trans slide in the gap between them? The 924, 944, and 968 all had there trans moved to the back for weight distribution, didn't they?
Old July 23rd 2008, 09:07

Of course, a trailing arm solution is viable but why bother since it is inferior to double, unequal length A arms with push rod spring dampers especially since the vehicle will be a tube frame special. There will have to be a substantial amount of framework just to hang the engine and transmission off, so adding the new suspension is no big deal.

evilC
Old July 23rd 2008, 13:23

I like the idea of keeping the Type 1 pan and body fairly stock and adding on, a la WRC. So, I would cut the center of the pan in the middle and shorten the tranny tunnel to keep the VIN number, then graft in a Boxter S engine and tranny. From what I've run across so far it's possible to do a double-wishbone rear suspension, or possibly graft in the Boxter rear suspension if not too much hacking is required. Then do a bolt on double-wishbone like I've done already, and tie everything together with a complete cage/tube chassis.
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old July 23rd 2008, 13:30
vwdevotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilC View Post
Of course, a trailing arm solution is viable but why bother since it is inferior to double, unequal length A arms with push rod spring dampers especially since the vehicle will be a tube frame special. There will have to be a substantial amount of framework just to hang the engine and transmission off, so adding the new suspension is no big deal.

evilC
my only apprehension with a-arms is that optimizing the geometry is REALLY tricky. actually making them is fairly trivial by comaprison.