GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old December 18th 2010, 18:39

Hi guys, the 915 gearbox is installed into the beetle, finally. I widened the original porsche front mount, and made some brackets for the rear craddle, inspired by pictures of Wally's old 915 install.
I didn't take any pictures yet, but I will. I still have alot to do untill it's gonna work, but I'm making progress.

Now here's something funny:

While I was at it, I was wondering if there's any OEM 200 mm clutch disc available on the market, to fit the original 1.6 beetle engine to the 915 gearbox, and it turns out there is!!!
I went through the Sachs online catalogue and discovered alot of cars use this type of disc! Like Fiats, Seat, Lancia, Moskwitch, and Lada! )
So I bought one of these discs, to try it on and it perfectly fits both the gearbox and the beetle flywheel/pressure plate!

Other than that, I've been gathering a bunch of shiny parts for my type4 engine, but I'm still far from installing it in the bug.

I'm so happy I got this dry sump tank on e-bay for about 90Usd incl. shipping! So the new engine will be dry sump

And today I sourced a new original Kamei spoiler for an awesome price, and I couldnt resist buying it, eaventho my bug is probably too low for it. I'm thinking about raising it a little maybe...
Old December 19th 2010, 07:14

Good progress! I like the pic with the label saying: 'Hochstgeschwindigkeit': 'Ohne Beschränkung'
Old December 19th 2010, 07:24

nice work on the clutch plate.

so many clutch plates cross over - im goin to hunt through for one suitable for my set up as im sure itl work out cheaper than a kep one! lookin forward to seein pics!

Deano
Old December 27th 2010, 19:23

Recently I have moved my bug and most of my tools to a bigass garage that a friend of mine has rented. (also aircooled owner and fan) and I keep forgetting to take my camera with me when I go there to work on the bug. I'll try to remember. In the meantime I took a few pics with my phone:
The bellhousing is about 2,5cm off to the rear measured from the trans craddle. I forgot to measure the original one, so I don't know how it sits compared to orig. position.
The disc you see in there is the lada one, I was telling you about earlier.
The drive axles are not bolted to anything and that's why they sit so low.

And the gearshift lever. It was in pieces when I got it, and it was a pain to get it all assembled but I managed.

It's probably not the nicest install, but I only hope it's going to be functional.
Old December 29th 2010, 05:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellex View Post
I'm so happy I got this dry sump tank on e-bay for about 90Usd incl. shipping! So the new engine will be dry sump
Nice progress here

I have a dry sump pump, that I've bought from ebay (from your country by the way) but changed my mind (won't use the car on track days) so will sell it. I can send you some pics, just let me know if you are interested.
Old December 29th 2010, 07:24

really? That makes me wonder who the hell is also playing with these things in secret... Because our aircooled comunity is so small here, that I could say I know almost everyone related to bugs and buses in my country.
So yes, I am interested, but is it a real dry sump pump or maybe the automatic gearbox beetle pump? Some pics would be great, in this topic or to my email adress: alexsimionro@yahoo.com
Thanks!
Old January 16th 2011, 20:04

Still working on the gearbox install. I lengthned the porsche rod and bought new bushings for it.

The bushings in the coupler were worn, so I decided to have them made out of urethane:

I made a flange and a plug to use instead of the oil pump and cooler.

And I changed the type1 CV joints on the gearbox side to the Porsche 944 ones, and I mounted the CV flanges back on the gearbox.
Please excuse the poor quality pics. Still alot to do left, but I ordered a HD gearbox craddle and a CSP Kaefer CUP brace, and I can't do anything untill they arive. I gave it alot of thought, because of my limited budget at the moment, but decided to do it right eaventho it means delaying driving the car..
Old February 9th 2011, 13:32

Yay! Today I got a package from Santa! with a small delay but no biggie :P

Last edited by Xellex; February 12th 2011 at 09:00.
Old February 12th 2011, 09:01

And it's all fitted on the car already!
Old February 13th 2011, 14:02

Been busy!!!
Old March 6th 2011, 12:37

I'm finally almost ready with the gearbox install. I've been trying to sort all the final details out.
I machined the 911 starter, by taking 4mm out of it's mating flange. From my understanding 5mm are needed, but I wanted to be safe and not to leave those 2 brackets too thin. Hope it's gona be enough.

I modified the original porsche guidance tube to accept the bug throw-out bearing. It came out quite nice.

I reversed the shift fork , re-routed the cable guide inside the tunnel to come out on the right lower side, instead of the original left upper position. Used a bug clutch lever. I wanted to go hydraulic but my budget doesnt allow it yet...
Everything fits well, but the bearing throw that the max pedal gives is immense or so it seems to me. I think I either have to lenghten that cluth lever, or make some sort of adjustable stop on the pedal.

And I've bought one more type4 engine which I intend on using for this season. It's a 1.7L. I replaced the pistons with domed ones. And I'm slowly mounting all the accesories on it. Hope to have it running in a couple of weeks.
Old March 6th 2011, 13:41

An original Riechert kit. Nice!
Old March 6th 2011, 15:40

yeah, it's the one I have bought on e-bay a couple of years ago and as of today, the kit is completed by a set of riechert air-filters and linkage that I have juuust won on e-bay
I can't wait for them to arrive!
Old March 6th 2011, 16:35

nice progress dude! did you machine off the starter where the 2 bolts go through?

ive finally got the box i wanted which comes with clutch so cant decide whether to get a conversion flywheel or same route you;re goin!
Old March 6th 2011, 18:56

yes, I took 4 milimeters off it, so it will go by that measurement more inside the gearbox bellhousing, towards the flywheel ring gear. I remember the user Tomac here on the forums was saying that you could/should use a hi-torque IMI starter, and machine 5mm off it. But in my case, having the original 911 starter, I thought about trying to modify it instead of buying another one.
If I remember correctly, those 2 brackets with the bolt holes, are 12mm thick. By taking 4mm off, it still has plenty material left to stay strong.
I don't know if it engages the ring gear well, but this week I'm gonna try to mount the flywheel, disc and press.plate on the engine, and then do some measurements.
The one thing I'm a bit concerned about is that the pressure plate would go too far inside the bellhousing when mounted on the engine, and hitting the release bearing. But that too has to be measured first.

About the conversion flywheel, I took it into consideration, because I already had a very good 915 clutch disc, pressure plate and release bearing. But it seems more complicated and more expensive for the long run. I just hope it's gonna work in this configuration, and maybe go hydraulic in the future.