GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old April 26th 2003, 04:22

A question about Oil?

Hello

What is your opions on the best temperature for oil? Meaning whats too hot, whats too cold? Stuff like that.

Thanks

Clint

Hopefully Soon!!
Back home in Port Orchard, and saving for the Bug

Last edited by BigPhattyVW; April 29th 2003 at 16:28.
Old May 4th 2003, 16:38

Howdy all, Im back!!!!!

OIL, that what was what the whole war was about wasnt it?? Sorry, please dont come arrest me!!

We have been through this many times before, and the conclusion is that there is no oil that is good enough, or one mans idea of what is good is bad for another man.

BAsically, there are two, maybe three schools of thought out there. The old school and the new school.
Go to the Callook forum -no dissing here, love and frequent that forum, and you find out that the only oil that works id a W40 single weight mineral oil. You get a few guys who swear by diesel oil, also single weight 40.

My engine runs a bit hotter than most, living in africa, 30deg c on the average day, I burn through oil like you cant believe, well, at least, I used to.

I am new age when it come to oil. I used to run a good 20W50, and would burn through that on the freeway in 20 minute. I was told to use single 40, was just as bad, but was worse on startup.

So I moved to semi-synthetic, 20W60, which I swear by. I can run it forever and it doesnt burn through. But that is just me.

If it was not good to run new types of oil, why would they have developed it. AND, the Porsche engine is probably the closest to our engine now-a-days and they will only guarentee their engines if you run Mobil 1 (in our country anyway), which is the best oil in the world, and fully synth. Why dont I run Mobil 1, simple, too many oil leaks and too expensive.

More????
Old May 6th 2003, 17:45

Too hot, too cold, just right....

If you run dino oil, 210 is about max you want to go on oil temp before it will start to break down.

If you run synthetic, 230 is about max.

Oil needs to be at 180 to lube best. It's not a coincidence that oil thermostats are set at 180. I feel if your oil is over 190 or so you need an oil cooler and maybe a better air cooling system but that's just me. My engine has a 911 fan/alt, high tech heat sheading coatings on the cyls and heads, remote oil filter/oil thermostat/cooler with fan (if the oil is over 180 coming out of the cooler the fan will switch on to cool it some more). Excess heat is your enemy and is not that hard to defeat.

All engines should be thoroughly warmed up before being run hard, that includes the oil temp.

I can't believe how many people rely solely on their low oil pressure light as their only indicator. I have an oil temp and pressure gage along with a CHT on each cylinder, I want to know exactly what is going on back there!!

I believe in synthetic oil. I like the RedLine oils. I run cheap 10-40 dino oil in my trash bug but it leaks and it is a temporary car anyway (almost 3 years of temporary so far!).

ken
Old July 23rd 2003, 10:51

oel

I use castrol synthetic 10 w 40, and with decklid standoffs, on the
freeway, I run 150 to 180 degrees. Anything over 212, and the oil gets reddish brown and leaves sludge deposits. Castrol syn smells like lemon cleaner
Old July 23rd 2003, 11:02

i ran castrol gtx 20W50 and was seeing temps of 130ish and would climb to 215 on the highway reving at 4k.

this year running rotella T 15w40 and it's also at 130ish and has yet to hit 200 on the highway.

in about 500 miles or so, i will switch to amsoil synthetic 20W50 severe service racing oil.

i need to get more heat into my oil.
Old October 6th 2003, 01:05

i run 15-50 redline and i can swear by the stuff. i run my car at about 4000rpm for about 40 minute commute with just a 1.5qt sump and standoffs and my oil temp sits right at 185 all the time. plus i drag race my car and drive it quite car. it hasn't even really lost any hp's after about 40000 ive put on it, mostly around town and always seeing redline of 7000 rpm atleast a few times a day. it is a 1776cc with 44 idf's and ported 044 heads. oh and my oil psi stays at about 55 psi when cruising unless its a really hot day over 100 F. my two cents.