GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old December 30th 2002, 13:06

pics of a BAS with custom muffler(s)

anyone have pics of a BAS header with a custom muffler setup? would like to see what some others have done. only one pic in the gallery.

i am also trying to figure out what is going to be the best way to run the pipes with a single muffler but without a 180 turn.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old December 30th 2002, 13:21

why dont you want a 180 turn?

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old December 30th 2002, 16:33

i guess it has to make one eventually, but their system spreads it out over a several 90s. thought one 180 right at the muffler might be a little restrictive. no?

Old December 30th 2002, 16:46
Administrator

Post Muffler

Zen,

Here's a pic of the BAS with a muffler, like you describe. I just happened to stumble accross it while looking through some old mags...

It makes a 180 deg turn.... and its on a drag bug. This is nice because then you can put the oil cooler on the other side and not have to worry about the heat getting to the cooler.

One question Zen... looks like the oil filter in stock location will not work with the BAS like in the picture... Whats your solution ?

I'm going to be ordering my oil cooler parts next week so I need to address this.

Sandeep
Old December 30th 2002, 17:47

i thought it looked like it might work. for the price, i decided to just go ahead and order a blockoff and remote mount. so i will go from the cooler bypass to the filter to a term (which i have already bought) to the cooler (which i don't know what to buy yet, if with a fan, the switch would preceed the cooler) then back.

maybe the 180 is not as bad as i thought. i was thinking of a setup just like this one save maybe using one of the small spin tech mufflers and i need to bring the exit out underneath the apron. i may even add on a momo tip since i am using momo stuff everywhere else, but that is a last thought.

Old January 4th 2003, 21:14

ok, another angle i would like everyone's thoughts on. what about a BAS header with a LA Performance turbo muffler?

the header in the middle of this image...

and this muffler...

the LA muffler is $144US vs. $269 for the BAS Silencer System. has anyone had any experience with the LA's backpressure and sound? other thoughts? looks like LA would have most, if not all, the piping needed.

Old January 4th 2003, 21:28

hello
if the pipes are the same diameter then this would be good ive not used that silencer but if you had the header going into the muffler then a long tail pipe doing the 180 to the rear that wouldnt be so bad.

as for the noise go to la performance and you can see and here lees car in action should give you a good idear what to expect sounds good if you ask me.
Old January 7th 2003, 16:08

Do you guys have any idea how the Straight thru mufflers sound on type-4s??
The LAperformance muffler sure sounds good but its a turbo 'S' muffler not a Straight thru...I see that people do not use this kind of mufflers on aircooled engines why?
'61 1200
Old January 7th 2003, 18:44

i can't really help there martice. i just don't know enough. based on some advice, i pulled the trigger and got a BAS setup WITH their muffler system. i am told the backpressure from these is really not an issue for my application and it is just that it is very quiet. i may drop a muffler to get a little more noise out of them.

Old January 7th 2003, 19:43

hello
of the straight thru exhaust systems ive heard in my life fitted to other various makes of car they are loud on a par with a stinger nearly .

ok if you live miles from anybody else in the world but if you got neighbours and dont want relationship with them to turn too sour you need to keep it a bit reasonable especially if you like to tune it 8-) a lot .

why dont aircooled tend to use them add this noise to the fact that our cars a noisyer (sp) than h20 motors and i think it boils down to excessive noise.

one possible way around this would be a straight thru design with two outlets this will reduce volume a bit.

some straight thru exhausts will be quiter than others dependent on the perforations (hole) sizes in the tube as it passes thru the box that has fibre stuffed around it also the type of stuffing and density will play a role .

the loudest will be just pipes with no stuffed boxes passed thru on the way..

im not very tecnical on this subject and boy is it a hot subject .

at the moment i have no problems with a stock bus 2ltr exhaust that has had the flanges where my la performance header joins it opened out to 40 mm.

it is quiet enough unless im on it so that when i go swimming in the mornigs at 6.30 i have had no complaints.

the stock box is just plates with holes in it that pushes the gases from left to right right to left then out .

ive just got hold of another and im going to do a full autopsy on it to get a full understanding of what goes on inside it.

i have thought about drilling the holes in the plates you can see thru the inlets too it out so the gases can short cut the route it must take so to speak.

with this there is no scavenging of the exhaust and as i understand it this can be more imprtant than actuall flow .

at the end of the day we probably are makinhg a lot of compromises .

if i really get in the mood soon i may make my own!

lert us if you try a straight thru how it gos i am interested in this gues if i got one id just have to pull out real slow till im out of my own neighbours ear shot!!
Old January 8th 2003, 19:51

If you plan on just using one muffler, I strongly advise against using straight through types as they are way too loud for every day driving. On T1 & 4´s up to about 140 hp there is no need to go further up than a good 2" expansion muffler. Thrush for one makes a reasonable prices good muffler of that type. I have been using that on f.i. 2 liter buggys w. up to about 130 hp. Of course you can hear it if you floor it, but for everyday driving it works, without the neighbours turning at you.
2 straight through in extension 2" mufflers as f.i. SIMONS, APPLE or similar works great and are my favorite setup, as you can make it almost as silent as a modern car, yet still get THAT sound when you floor it.
It takes a full day for two people to build one like that so it fits perfectly, but it is worth all the work.
Everyone I made one for loves them. I normally use SIMONS mufflers because of easy acces + they are not so big in outer dimensions.
Old January 9th 2003, 10:01

What do you mean by using two mufflers?
The way I see it there are two ways: two like the double quiet packs.
or, what I am building, 4>1 header(similar to LAperformance 'green monster' s header) then the pipe will go back sorrounding the engine, first muffler next to the valve cover and second muffler next to the other valve cover and then out....:silly:

Hope you guys understand my explanation...
'61 1200
Old January 18th 2003, 16:21

Quote:
Originally posted by Martice

or, what I am building, 4>1 header(similar to LAperformance 'green monster' s header) then the pipe will go back sorrounding the engine, first muffler next to the valve cover and second muffler next to the other valve cover and then out....:silly:

Hope you guys understand my explanation...
That was what I meant with 2 straight through mufflers.
Old January 19th 2003, 13:38

i ended up getting the two muffler BAS setup. someone semi-local had one for sale. i will probably run both of them, but i am a little ways off from having to make that decision. will let all know and of course post pics.

Old January 21st 2003, 05:54
VW consumer products reseller and researcher

Leave the first muffler off and make a straight pipe instead of it into the muffler setup. It would be too restrictive! That's all!