GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old October 21st 2003, 02:42

Which type IV engine?

I've found two needles in an Alaskan haystack. A '71 411 and a '73 412. Will do the usual engine checks (compression, etc.) but was wondering if one year is better to convert and install into my '56 Bug. Both cars are in good condition (considering Alaska's winters) and are both worth restoring to get on the road. Is the 411 more "unique"?

Also, both cars are running the 1.7L engine. Can these be bumped up to 1.8L, 1.9L or even a 2.0L? What sort of case mods are required to fit larger cylinders?

I'm excited about owning a type IV. It'll be a great addition to the local VW club.

Thanks for your advice.
John A.
Old October 21st 2003, 10:47

Pick the body style you prefer. The engines are just about identical.

It is easy to get more displacement, you will need to have the heads cut for the larger dia. of the 1.8 or 2.0L cylinders (easy/cheap). 1.8 cylinders work with your exhising crank/rods. there are 96mm piston/cylinders avialable to work with your crank/rods and give 1911cc. 2.0L crank/rods/pistons/cylinders bolt on and give 1971cc. Aftermarket 96mm p/c sets for the 2.0L crank/rods give 2056cc.

Your fuel injection will not work with large increases in displacement.

ken
Old October 21st 2003, 12:10

Smile

Thank you very much Ken for your information and help. The Arctic Aircooled VW Club meeting is tonight. I'll pick they're brains too.

Since I plan to convert the engine to an upright and install it into the '56 bug I'm restoring, the fuel injection will need to go anyway

Thanks again.
John A.
Old October 22nd 2003, 03:21

John,
IMO, the 412 is more interesting to restore because I believe it is only made in 1973 and 1974 (for a short period, last year of production).
Consequently, it is the most 'modern' of both cars and personally, I like the head lamp arangement of the 412 better than the 411 (fish bowl headlights).
Good luck,
Walter
Old October 22nd 2003, 16:04

hey John, i was wandering if i could buy the fan shroud and rubber duct that connects to the body. i have a T4 in my notch and i need to seal off the cooling intake air. how much if so and how much do you think shipping would be to utah. thanks.

SAM