GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

View Poll Results: Suspension set-up options?
Red9design coilovers 7 50.00%
Koni (which ones) + adjustable beam 4 28.57%
Bilstein (which ones) + adjustable beam 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 20th 2005, 18:52

Unhappy RED9DESIGN heeeeelp!

I have send 3 mails to Red9design and did not get any answers from them so I'm turning to you guys. I live in Quebec, Canada and would like to know the approximate price for a red9design coil-over kit, and shipping, for my 1974 standard beetle. Anbody from the GTA knows about it?

For the ones that already have such a kit, does it worth the expense or should I go Koni (or Bilstein) and adjustable beam????
Old September 22nd 2005, 03:02

Small body bilstein coil-overs!

I did my homework on the same thing and talked to bilstein for hours trying to come up with a small body shock with a stem mount and this is what i came up with.

Front shocks from a 69' camaro. (has similar valving) (which to me is rediculous because of obvious reasons) $70 each
Coil over sleeve add on kit for small body shocks. $40 each
1.9" springs. $50 each
Clips to hold sleeve $1
Machining to shock body to accept clips. $?
Adjustable for ride height only

Total=$320 before machining

Also, Aldan eagle makes custom shocks and with springs a small body single adjustable setup is only $420 for the pair. Call them and they'll set you up with some shocks made to your exact specs.

Or you could go the typical adjustable beam, dropped spindles with bilsteins. Which by all means when used with a thick sway bar, handles pretty well.

98' Audi A4
93' T-Bird (oh yeah!)
90' 911 C2
74' beetle
Old September 22nd 2005, 08:46

Thanks Lazy or should I call you the "overkill king"?! I've checked aldan eagle but it looks like "regular" coil-overs. What I mean is that red9 removes completely the torsion bar leaves with rods. Also, they are FULLY adjustable. Do you have any pics of the El camaro set up? I'm curious about that. The reason why I wanted to go a similar Red9 design way is because I wonder is in the end it cost less: I don't have any adjustable beam (150$), no dropped spindles (200$) and no performance shocks (200$) = around 550$ at the least!!!

By the way people, DON'T BE SHY: THE POLL IS OPEN!!!!!!!!!
Old September 22nd 2005, 09:05

Your right, typical applications that aldan provide are 3 1/4 inch springs. The ones that i'm talking about are a small shock body that they will custom make for you with a 1.9'' spring that appears to be of better quality than the red9 setup. Also through rods can be found at quite a few vw shops. I purchased some from pacific coast customs for $50 and they took 30 mins to install and get everything together. Easy.

I don't have any pictures of the camaro setup because I don't think that it's been done. but haveing a coil over bilstein would be pretty nice.

98' Audi A4
93' T-Bird (oh yeah!)
90' 911 C2
74' beetle
Old September 22nd 2005, 15:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinporsche
Thanks Lazy or should I call you the "overkill king"?! I've checked aldan eagle but it looks like "regular" coil-overs. What I mean is that red9 removes completely the torsion bar leaves with rods. Also, they are FULLY adjustable. Do you have any pics of the El camaro set up? I'm curious about that. The reason why I wanted to go a similar Red9 design way is because I wonder is in the end it cost less: I don't have any adjustable beam (150$), no dropped spindles (200$) and no performance shocks (200$) = around 550$ at the least!!!

Wouldn't you still need the dropped spindles with the coil spring setup to avoid crazy angles on the ball joints? At least when you lower the car at the front end... I'm trying to decide what to do on a Ghia front end and have thought about the Red9.
Old September 24th 2005, 13:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesayso
Wouldn't you still need the dropped spindles with the coil spring setup to avoid crazy angles on the ball joints? At least when you lower the car at the front end... I'm trying to decide what to do on a Ghia front end and have thought about the Red9.
I have dropped spindles but it doesn't depend on that. It only depends on the length of the shocks eye to eye. It's a good idea to get long travel ball joints though. They help out a lot. $50 from Mid america motor works. The shocks aren't mounted so thats why there is such an angle (I couldn't wait to get the brakes on [can you blame me?])
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Angle of ball joints and oh yeah, my brakes (Medium).jpg (73.6 KB, 207 views)

98' Audi A4
93' T-Bird (oh yeah!)
90' 911 C2
74' beetle
Old September 24th 2005, 13:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinporsche

Every option I listed is taking advantage of losing the torsion bars.

When you say FULLY adjustable, it means ride height and rebound/compression. Correct? Cause thats what the Red9's are.

Aldan offers a coilover with Ride height (4"'s!),seperate compression, and seperate rebound adjustments.

The bilstein setup would only be ride height adjustable, unless you magically fabbed up a way to fit a PSS9 setup into your car.

98' Audi A4
93' T-Bird (oh yeah!)
90' 911 C2
74' beetle
Old September 24th 2005, 15:29

That's right Lazy, I want something ride adjustable and rebound adjustable. I'm impressed by what you say about Aldan's set up; is it still the $420 set up?!?! That would be great. Also, while looking at some different options I thaughtabout Spax G616 coilovers: I've read these are the same red9design uses. I'm I right to say that buying those spax with rods from Pacific Costoms, or what not, would basically give you a Red9design kit? Only thing is, I cannot find a source to buy Spax in the Canada or in the US... I heard they're pricey aswell.

The Spax thing led me to a whole reflexion. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you could use pretty much any rear golf coilover socks for your front balljoint beetle.
Old September 25th 2005, 04:02

From what i've heard and seen, Aldan is a great quality shock. Also the prices are fair. I can't speak out of expirience because i don't have any, but from the times that i've talked to them and what i've heard, they have great customer service. I'll probably end up doing their shocks up front so I can get my car going sooner then add the 993 front end. I don't know?

420 is what they quoted me a month and a half ago.

98' Audi A4
93' T-Bird (oh yeah!)
90' 911 C2
74' beetle
Old September 25th 2005, 14:48

QA1 double adjustable

click on "Coil Over Shocks" under Part Type

then "Yes" under Universal application

then "Double adjustable" under Coil-Over Shock Type

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old September 25th 2005, 21:18

Volkdent!!!!!!!!! $%#@$?%&?@ It's about the same price as a set of Konis!!!!!!! Totally impressed. Are they good? And which one do you use? Since it's universal.
Old September 27th 2005, 00:41

What I do know is that I own a pair, they are well built, adjustable, and rebuildable. I have the single adjustable version. I'm going to assume they are entry level, but they are adjustable and I really think that most things are going to be better than stock, especailly at this price. Volume is the key for the price, and if their quality control is in check, they should be fine. I bought mine from a reputable motorsports suspension shop who deals with the range from bottom of the line to Ohlins, and they thought they were a very good value for the money. I have no comments on usage, as I have yet to have my car on the road, but I really think that especially the double adjustable has to be such a good deal for the money and compared to the competition. QA1 is either owned by or purchased Carrera, to give you an idea of what level they are at.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old December 7th 2005, 17:40

Volkdent, do you know which QA1 coilover kit would fit the front of my ball joint standard beetle?
Old December 7th 2005, 22:21

I think it will depend on what your ride height will be and what sort of travel you want. I think they make a combo shock that has an eyelet on one side and a rod on the other, so you should be able to make that one work. Look on Summit Racing's website under suspension and look at the different shock styles they have. They are quite adjustable, so valving shouldn't be a problem.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old December 7th 2005, 23:32

I thought about adding coil overs to the rear and Maybe the front, I just don't know which ones. I saw the QA1's in my summit catalog.

Any help?
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...