GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old November 7th 2008, 10:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatoniashoprat View Post
................................... Although I think its going to snow in the next few days so it might get finished and then have to sit until May.
Why, do you get snowed in or are you hiberating?? Get out and drive it - you'll enjoy yourself. Snow tyres at the ready........................

evilC
Old November 7th 2008, 10:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilC View Post
Why, do you get snowed in or are you hiberating?? Get out and drive it - you'll enjoy yourself. Snow tyres at the ready........................

evilC
Haha, Well I will probably take it for a drive or two even if it does snow, but I don't think it will be enjoyable ploughing it through snow drifts, thats what my winter car is for (92 jetta turbo diesel). Plus I don't exactly trust other drivers not to smash into it, especially at the beginning of snow season when everyone is learning to drive on ice all over again.
Old June 25th 2009, 09:21

There are no more updates on this beautiful thread??
Old June 25th 2009, 11:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
There are no more updates on this beautiful thread??
He's still hibernating!.............or stuck in snow!
Old April 26th 2010, 14:01

Hey guys, the project didn't move very far last summer. I was having some tuning issues, ended up the MAF was really dirty and throwing everything off.

Then I was having oil pan issues, still am actually. The pan I was running originally had no baffles in it so turning or stopping under small g-forces I would lose oil pressure! I took it apart a few times and built some baffles into it, and I'm still not completely satisfied. Under hard braking it still has issues. I installed an oil accumulator (like an accusump) and it helped but I want that as a back-up and not a crutch.

I'm going to cut the factory pan down like the outfront motorsports pan and try that, the lost oil capacity is made up in the oil accumulator which adds 1.5-2L.

Then I can drive it like it was meant to be driven.

Anyway here are some pics from a carshow a few weekends ago. I didn't build the car to 'show', more to drive, but one of my goals was to enter it in this particular show because it was the show we went to growing up. Sort of a rights of passage for me to have entered a car in it, and ended up winning best modified VW!

Take care

Mike

Old April 26th 2010, 14:53

Very cool and it looks fantastic, nice to see some updated pics
Old April 26th 2010, 16:25

Thanks! Here is another pic I found

I've got a decent tune on it right now that will run and drive the car quite well, and runs up to about 11psi. The timing isn't optimum (conservative and not very smooth) but I'm waiting for dyno time to really dial it in. The motor should be fairly reliable up to about 18 psi, but for mainly street driving (some auto-cross and some drag strip) I think 15-16psi with careful tuning it should be plenty fast enough .

Old April 26th 2010, 17:22

I'd be worried about the tranny at 18psi, hell even Jack's killed a few with light boost Are you using Albins/Weddle gears?
Old April 26th 2010, 20:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble View Post
I'd be worried about the tranny at 18psi, hell even Jack's killed a few with light boost Are you using Albins/Weddle gears?
1,2 gears are stock, 3,4 are coarse tooth bus gears (late splined 3-4 shift hub that uses factory 002 gears). These gears have the syncro hub welded to the gear from the factory.

Ratios are 3.78, 2.06, 1.26, .82

944 CV's

The tranny is the late 'zig-zag' case with the extra ribs on the top. I won't be running slicks on it, and if I do they will be small (7") so I'm not too worried about gears breaking.

Tranny life will depend on traction (shockload) and sometimes moreso the guy behind the wheel. I'm not one to dump the clutch or anything so I'm confident it will stay together. We'll find out!!

I just remembered theres a guy on the samba with a +400hp turbo'd honda motor and last I checked his trans was still alive.
Old April 27th 2010, 21:49

that things sexxy
Old April 28th 2010, 18:19

Yeah, Jeff helped to build that k20 bug and I think stupid fast is a good description of it. As far as I know he's using a rancho pro-drag swing axle tranny, also without weddle gears. I'm trying to convince the same guy to give me a hand with my swap and possibly "the next big project" down the road.
Old April 28th 2010, 19:55
Administrator

Nice ride.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old July 21st 2010, 14:39

Update

After a bunch of tuning I've found that my intercooler solution (I should have known) is not the greatest. Although it fits nice and looks impressive it can only handle about 11 psi with the current setup before temperatures go through the roof. I'm using a GM intake air temperature sensor and datalogging it. I've bought an air to water Spearco unit good for upto 500hp, but I don't want to stop driving the car right now so it will have to wait until next winter to get installed. I plan to put it in the luggage tray behind the rear seat so it will get no heat soak at all, then put a cooler spaced a couple inches in front of my rad up front. hopefully it will handle 300hp, which is all I'm after .

In other news:

I installed 150lb/in 10" QA1 springs in the front as well as bilstein dampers. My first regret is buying 10" springs instead of 12", I'm at the highest adjustment slot in these pics.

On the street I find the 150lb/in to be on the edge of being too harsh, keeping in mind that the streets around here are not smooth and there are giant potholes to dodge everywhere. If the roads were nice and smooth with the occassional bump I wouldn't hesitate going even stiffer. I just saw that QA1 has a 12" 100-200lbs variable rate spring which might be the perfect balance. Anyone wanna buy some 10" springs lol?

On the track it handled as expected, even more understeer than before. I found a set of 944s torsion bars and anti-roll bar that will be getting installed when I have time but for now I'm stuck with it pushing reaally bad in the corners. The only way I could steer is by doing all braking in a straight line and trying to use the brakes to compress the front right before the corner. I'm new to all this in cars so its been a learning experience.

After seeing the picture below I'm going to have to go and check that the front k-frame bolts are still there because it looks like the body is lifting off the frame. A couple guys mentioned that the front tire was getting 3-4" off the ground.

Comments welcome

Last edited by Eatoniashoprat; July 21st 2010 at 14:46.
Old July 21st 2010, 17:39

Cool action shots!!!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old July 22nd 2010, 13:35

Understeer and lifting the inside front tire could be caused by the same thing, rear springs/TBs that are too soft. I'd look into stiffer rear bars or coilovers before you touch anything up front.

Other than that it looks fantastic and seems to take a flogging well. I'm sure it pins you to the seat pretty good too