GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old November 5th 2007, 23:50

Best 1/2 cut to buy

I have been ripped off on my EJ20T Suby engine, and now decided to buy a 1/2 cut from Japan to insure I get all the parts I need, and know the number of Km on what I am buying.

I have heard that 2005 and later have some electronic security issues that make conversions an electrical nightmare. I am in Thailand and the knowledge pool of people that can unravel such mysteries are nil.
Is this an issue with 05 models and if so what year did this begin in Japanese models

Do I need to specify a car with manual gearbox, or does the ECU even care?
I suspect so but need to be sure.

Is the higher octane rating of Japanese fuel a concern? All we can get here is 95 and it is being phased out in favour of E-10 gasohol 95. I suspect that it will not be long before it is E-20
There are 2 ways of measuring octane RON and MON. I get them confused buy Thailand uses the more optomistic method.

I have a Suby 2.0 to 915 KEP adaptor kit in hand and want to use this on the new engine.
I think the back end of the 2.0 and 2.5 is the same - correct??

Naturally I want a turbo engine to salve the need for speed. Any specific model that I should import? I imagine that the WRX will cost more and most likely driven a bit harder than the family version

Robert
Old November 6th 2007, 00:40

Hoghead, if memory serves me correctly..

You are right about 2005 that is when they started to utilize the immobilizer feature.. so safe bet is 2004 or ealier..

Your KEP plate will work with 2.0 or 2.5.

Yes on higher Octane.. Here in the US we run 93 and JDM ecu's need to be retuned via ecutek, Cobb protune or simillar.. otherwise you may need to utilze octane booster or race gas..

Incidently there is a freeware that you can use and tune yourself.. check NASIOC.. I ran into a guy last month at the track, and he had tuned his saab 92x with that stuf..

Regarding Manual or Auto ECU, can't remember, but I think you need a manual..

Not sure what your goal is but I assume you did not get the motor..
If mild a nice 2.5 NA from an impreza is good but it seems like you want turbo.. so either a wrx or sti motor would be your best bet.. if you can get Saab's the 2004 I believe had the same motor as the wrx 92x aero or something..

Hope that helps a little
A
Tele: 973 204-5463
Old November 6th 2007, 01:13

Hi

Local people using 98 ron fuel have had tuning problems (pinking) with JDM motors.

STI motors are the pick, but they will be tuned for higher octane fuel. I'm not sure about where you are, but see what sort of after market tuning can be done on a JDM STI motor local to you.

I have a 2003 AuDM STI 2 litre motor for my bug, they are detuned for our 98 Ron so they only make 190 kW. I will use my stock EFI computer to get the car running, but as I've changed intercooler, exhaust and will be upping the boost I expect to factory tune to be bit off. So I will most likely fit an Autronic SM4 plug and play unit after I get it running.

I had a local fellow trim down my stock wiring loom. But for it to work I still need to have the key in the ignition switch to override the immobiliser.

Steve

Last edited by Steve C; November 6th 2007 at 01:16. Reason: more info
Old November 6th 2007, 01:54

This will be a Japan market car, and likely imported specially, so I can order whatever model I want. Saab is out due to availability.

Interesting that the 03 Aust model has an immobliser
Does reflashing the ECU get around the immobiliser?

If the ECU can be reflashed, does it matter if I get an auto or manual ECU. This will open up the model choices.
Not clear if this is reflashing the existing ECU for our fuel or a new aftermarket ECU?

The wrecker knows nothing about these and I need to tell him exactly what I want. Given that I am only a half step ahead on him it is challenging
Old November 6th 2007, 04:28

I would go with a 1998-2002 model if at all possible.

My button
Old November 6th 2007, 08:25

Hi

If I went straight to the after market Autronic ECU I wouldn't have needed the immobiliser, it would have been bypassed. We have very strict anti theft laws, I guess that's why we have immobilisers, WRXs are the favourite weapon of choice for ram raiders.

My motor has variable inlet valve timing and it needs a suitable ECU, that's why I have to go for a ECU like the Autronic SM4 plug and play unit. If you go for a "normal" WRX motor you can get away with a less sophisticated "cheaper" ECU

Autos usually have a softer tune and smaller turbos, my STI motor came with the a VF 30 turbo, apparently its the pick of the bunch for VF series turbos.

If your motor has the incorrect tune for your fuel and it pings or has pinking it wont last very long, in fact Subaru's with pinking motors ruin bearings.

Do you have any Subaru tuners in your country that tune after market ECUs or reflash stock ECUs, you need to ask there advice.

Steve
Old November 6th 2007, 11:34

Yes it's true that most autos will be making slightly less power than the manuals but if you're reflashing that doesn't matter. In regards to whether it matters that have a manual or auto? It doesn't, there is a pin on the ecu that you can either gnd or put 5v to to tell the computer if its a manual or auto. If my memory serves me correctly the computer is happier in these conversion being a manual, since it doesn't need a signal from the tranny and it uses one less signal from the MAF sensor.
Mike
Old November 6th 2007, 21:41

If an STI motor with a VF-30 turbo, and VVT, is the pick of the bunch, which Japan market model do I specify?

If reflashing will work, the ECU can be posted to Oz or the States, and this is not a big deal.

Mike
Thanks for the ECU manual/auto trick
Getting chilly in Sask yet?

Robert
Old November 6th 2007, 23:00

Hi

I'm not sure about Japanese models. In saying that the STI motor is best as it has a semi closed block and forged internals, the variable valve timing needs an ECU like the Autronic SM4 plug and play unit. These are about $2,500 AU (about 2333.00 USD),the Au$ is on a high compared to USD at the moment, so I'm buying in lots of parts from the US lately.

Reflashing of the ECU will usually need the car to dynoed.

Steve
Old November 7th 2007, 10:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post

Mike
Thanks for the ECU manual/auto trick
Getting chilly in Sask yet?

Robert
No problem.
Snowed a little and was -8C when I biked to work yesterday. So to your answer your question? No, not really . Its funny when -8 feels like -20 though when you're not used to it.