GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old April 27th 2009, 18:27

A crazy Idea, the result of alot of Beer

I am soon getting a 1303 'project' the car is pretty much ****ed, so under the influence of a few Beers I have come up with the Idea of cutting out pretty uch everything that makes the car solid and implanting a space frame, leaving the body there to look good, and mid-mounting a 964 engine and G50 gearbox, or of a cat B Carrera 4 comes up, then rear engine and 4wd I've also thaught about using a scooby engine and drivetrain with flipped Diffs.

I have a pipe bender can bend tube accurately with sand bending techniques, and have made wishbones for other projects, but this will be the first time I've done something on this scale. can anyone offer any good advise?

Cheers
Dan
Old April 28th 2009, 15:36
Administrator

That would be a large undertaking. If you could pull it off it would be something else. STI drivetrain would be easier on the wallet.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old April 28th 2009, 17:21

I've started the planning and design stages of a similar project. I would say stick with 964 4wd drive train and an STI motor in the back for easy fab. For 2wd domination, grab an ls6 and a g50 mid mounted and call it a day. For good tube chassis brain fodder start with the rorty design chassis and aim towards the ultima gtr chassis. For grins I've considered hacking the side pods off an ultima gtr chassis and tossing it under a 1303 body, maybe that will be my next setup
Old April 28th 2009, 17:33

Humble, I see finances play no roll in your plans. haha I am struggling to buy the window seals for my ride and your talking about hacking a GTR Chassis. Man I am in the wrong buisiness.

Altough I do still have that EJ20T v3 sitting in the garage....hmmmmmmm
Old April 28th 2009, 21:12

Oh I have a budget all right, but it helps to be in the right place at the right time. I know of a chassis right now that's up for grabs for $3500 which is what you'd pay for a used g50. You just gotta keep your eyes open, ear to the ground and have a little bit of luck