GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 10th 2006, 08:53

Type 3 porsche front brakes

As my new front disk on my Type 3 squareback got warped just after 10.000 miles of daily driving, I really wanted to investigate the possibility of upgrading the front brakes with vented disks and slightly bigger calipers.

Here's a pic or two of the progress on my square front brakes so far:

The caliper is an alu 964 rear one (Brembo) with 44mm cups. Stock '71 type 3 is 42mm, so it balances nicely with the upgraded rear 944 N/A disk/calipers (38mm).
Disk is a 944 turbo rear rotor, 24mm thick, just what the 964 caliper needs.

I will now go design/make the adapter for the calipers, because only now I can measure it accurately, but it already fits nicely.
To my surprise, the stock backing plate can remain, although clearence is (very) tight. It may have to go if it drags while driving, but for now, it can stay:

The center pieces were the remains of my 'original' 5-bolt rotors. They serve very nicely as hubs for the rotors. The hubs is turned down just enough, so that it centers in the disk. Very cool.
I went through the entire porsche (Zimmermann) disk catalog, so its not really by coincidance that the disk fits the way it does, but you will always have to wait and see...

The original edge for centering the porsche rims, is also still high enough (tried that already), even with the extra 5mm thick rotor against it.

I am very pleased with the results so far

Greetings,
Walter

Last edited by Wally; January 10th 2006 at 08:58.