GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old July 4th 2003, 01:14

basic upgrades to start with?

Hello everyone. I just brought home my new (new to me ) 1964 Bug tonight. I have been looking for a while now, but didn't have the money for a really nice restored one. I snagged this little beauty for $675 and it runs good, doesn't smoke. Has a dual port motor, and is converted to 12 volt. Needs a passenger side floorpan. Other than that, it needs mainly cosmetic stuff.

Me being the person I am, I have to modify the engine . I want to start out with the small stuff that will help with driveability, gas mileage, reliability, etc. It needs new plugwires and a regulator. I figured while I was at it, I would replace the cap and any other ignition related item that would not be to expensive. I also thought about doing something with the stock exhaust, but not sure. I like the stock exhaust sound, but I want something that maybe will free up a few hp...?

Any suggestions on the first things (inexpensive things) you would do if you just bought this bug?

Old July 4th 2003, 09:37
Administrator

Post Nice Score

First thing I would do is really clean up the engine. A clean engine will help you spot any leaks and also may help cooling a bit.

I would firstly give it a tuneup and then I would check the brakes for dragging and possibly repack the wheel bearings. This way, you would know the engine is running its best and all friction points have a minimum amount of drag.

From here, I would go with a header and muffler ( a few hp).

Sandeep
Old July 4th 2003, 11:45

I would do just what you planned, Tune up, turn key, and drive on.

Congratulations on a great find!

Yetibone

P.S.
For giggles, imagine Herbie on Cup3's, and dropped 2". Of course you all know I'm kinda stoopid like that.
'83 928S 4.7
Old July 4th 2003, 14:39

The only decent thing you can really do without pulling the engine and spending too much cash is get a decent exhaust. Makes a nice difference. Maybe think about saving the cash for a while and the drop and rebuild the engine, along with a few mods, or just replace the heads and carburation. Dont forget that the exh has to be changed if you want to modify anything, the stock exh doubles as a sort of rev limiter
Old July 5th 2003, 03:07

Thanks for the replies everyone! Who makes a reasonably priced electronic ignition kit? I thought about going ahead and replacing all that while I was at it. I don't have a lot of extra mula to spend so an "economy" kit would be nice.

Also, just out of pure curiosity, what does it take to fit a set of newer rims like these?

I love those rims!
Old July 5th 2003, 10:46

Petronix Igniter is about $50, or worth about 6 points, and condenser sets. (that's how I justified buying one) They are available most anywhere VW spares are sold.

For the wheels, have a machine shop drill and tap that wheel's bolt pattern onto your brake drums. You may need spacers to get the right offset, but it's far less expensive than converting to late model L/C VW brakes and hubs.

Yetibone
'83 928S 4.7

Last edited by yetibone; July 5th 2003 at 14:57.
Old July 5th 2003, 13:13

One thing that always get me is that there are so many people who have to modify a stock ignition system to get it to electronic. Why not just get hold of the stock electronic ignition that VW made for the later cars??? You hear all these things about modified ignition systems failing and people saying that you should alway carry a spare set of points and condensor for WHEN it fails, but the VW one is 20 years old and still going strong.
Old July 5th 2003, 14:56

Hmmm... I agree. If it fits, Tony's idea is better.

One selling point for the Petronix Igniter is no modification nessesary to your distributor, but I have heard of some reliability, and drivability issues from friends.

I am one of the lucky ones.

Yetibone
'83 928S 4.7
Old July 7th 2003, 16:11

It is a pure bolt on item. I will try and get a digi cam once my engine is back together and show you guys what I am talking about.