GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Off Topic

Old July 30th 2002, 12:36

Angry Upset with my New Beetle

Well, even though I am a big fan of its design....the car will be sold next week. If I look back at the 4 years of having that car......I just had too many problems with it. I am very dissapointed at VWs quality. Sensors failed and interior switches broke. A new ECU was installed. I can not even change my broken fog light because I would have to take the bumper off to get it out which means I have to unbolt part of the fenders. Both front wheel bearings need to be replaced after 71000km.
I was not easy to decide to sell it because this means a delay of my GL Split but I am sick and tired of spending money on a 4 year old car to fix it all the time. I just spend nearly 1000$ US to get sensors replaced to see the check engine light come on again yesterday. VW dealers here are crap too. And I went to all of them in a 60km radius because I am picky. They all sucked.

That is it for me. A new VW will never enter my garage again.
I know too many people with the same problems.

:toilet:

Alex
Old July 30th 2002, 20:17
Superman

LOL @ VWoA

2 things to remember about that car:

It was built in Mexico (poor quality)
The design was an after thought (concept never meant for production)
Old August 1st 2002, 07:21

Well after cleaning the car yesterday I found more items that are broken. Nothing serious but anoying anyways. There is too much plastic on that car.

It is gone in a week.

Alex
Old August 4th 2002, 22:17

If it makes you feel any better, VW dealers suck here too. I'm starting to lose faith in VW "service" as they call it. I asked a dealer near me to do a leak down test on my '96 VR6 GTI' which is burning 1 qt. of oil every 300 mi. or so, and he told me that that test was only for transmissions. I didn't know if he was joking or not. But he was serious. And that was the service manager. I pretty much called him a jackass and walked out. And forget about VWOA. VW dealerships will never see me again for "service" Every mag. I read always has something negative about VW service. I just hope they get it together when the Phaeton comes along. The way things are going now, they'll never be able to compete with the other high-line luxury/sport market. As far as the vehicles being made in Germany or Mexico. That's bull. There's no difference in quality as far as VW's go. Don't get me wrong I'd like to say different but I'd be lying. 2 of my friends have MK4 GTI's and they are crap. And were built in Germany. Same thing..... parts falling off, "we can't find the problem" is a common one. Like I said I'd like to say different but its the truth. VW better get it together. Take the money from the fancy commercials and start paying guys who know what they're doing. Gemany and Mexico.

"If you are under control you're going too slow" - Parnelli Jones
Old August 6th 2002, 22:57

It is funny when I think about my new car. It is somewhat related to the old bug too. It has a Boxer enigne...and yes it is a Scooby.
Lets hope that it will better quality with less hassles.

BTW...I know peolple too that have/had problems with German VWs.

Alex
Old August 7th 2002, 16:14

i have had mostly very positive experiences with water-cooleds (and i have owned a large chunk of them). my '98 NB overall was good. i had it two years (sold it to get into a 912E, lol) and had window reg problems and a sensor problem. my '96 jetta was almost flawless for 6.5 years. didn't change brakes until 90k miles. many different results on the many other cars.

jim ellis vw in atlanta has always been top notch for me. i have no issues with them...yet, anyway. i just sold the jetta to get the abd racing passat. passats have a great reputation. let's see if it holds up. i suspect that i may run into some issues with jim ellis on this car due to modifications (albiet minor drivetrain mods).

i love 'em either way. i love the air. i love the water. i have had pieces of crap. i have had gems. i love them all equally. our airs have as many quirks as the waters, they just are much easier to fix. i hear all of the same issues with my bimmer and MB friends. and let's not talk about the american cars.

zen
www.powerplayrocks.com

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design