GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old April 3rd 2008, 14:21

5-speed LSD Thing

I apologize in advance for some of this being open-ended. I am still deciding my new direction after the 1302. A pseudo-GL Thing is one of my thoughts currently in my Top Three. (I say "pseudo" because I am still at the envisioning phase and haven't figured how hard core I want to be -- perhaps, similar to my former 1302.)

What would any of you suggest the best route to go to get a 5-speed with a limited slip differential for a Type 181?

It will most likely have a Type I engine in it when purchased, so that is a consideration. Unless the engine is something very special, I would likely go to a Type IV engine later.

I sort of envisioned a fairly low first gear with two-through-five being driving gears. I also envision setting it up for handling and highway speeds (the GL aspect of it) but I wouldn't want to delete going off-road entirely (although it is not a big concern, and it wouldn't be hard core if I did).

The Thing would most likely be an IRS. I did look at an earlier model with swing axles and trailing arms but the sale of that one is pending. Still, the latter set-up isn't totally out of the question -- just unlikely.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by oasis; April 3rd 2008 at 14:22.
Old April 3rd 2008, 15:28

How about a Porsche 901 or a 915?
Old April 4th 2008, 08:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by DORIGTT View Post
How about a Porsche 901 or a 915?
Did either of these come on the 914? And, if yes, did they come on a 1973-76 914? From what I have read so far, these are the better years for trannies on a 914. And, if not, with what Porsche did they originate?

Would either accept a Type I and a Type IV engine? (No, not at the same time. ) Can both be built (or rebuilt if not new) with a variety of gear options, with an LSD, and be suited for a Type 1 vehicle.

This is an area too new for me to gain much from reading other threads as they assume a base knowledge I don't have. With my 1302, Dave (NO_H2O) suggested the specs for one with my 2056 and I simply fetched one for his install. That was fantastic but now I need to learn more.

Thanks.
Old April 4th 2008, 10:01

The 901 can be primarily found in the 914 though some early 911's had them as well.

I believe the reason the 73-74 was more highly regarded was due to the change in shifting linkage/mechanism. That fact doesn't really matter due to the nosecone being changed to allow it to be used in a rear engine application.

Virtually any engine can be mated to these transmissions. Kennedy Engineered Products can mate virtually anything to these http://www.kennedyeng.com/. But to mount a T1, TIV or WBX doesn't require anything more than the right combination of clutch, pressure plate and flywheel.

Browse the transmission section here and you'll be amazed at what you find.

Bugat5speed here in the US and Germany have been exceptionally helpful in supplying mounting options for us to be able to install these with minimal 'sex-change operation' antics.

Good luck!
Old April 5th 2008, 01:22

That's all the answers I need to know for now. Thanks!
Old April 6th 2008, 23:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DORIGTT View Post
The 901 can be primarily found in the 914 though some early 911's had them as well.
Only "some"? What other gearbox do you think early 911s had?

In fact, all 71 and earlier 911s and 912s came with a 901 gearbox. If you are going to install a 901 into a VW, the 914 is not a good start. The side shift 914 gearboxes require a bunch of parts from a 911 gearbox to make it tail shift, so why not start with a 911 version to begin with?

LSDs for 901 gearboxes are quite rare and very expensive. If your project requires a LSD, a stock Thing ZF is the one to get. If that is the route you choose, and you need 5 gears, the Berg 5 conversion of an existing 73 or 74 Thing gearbox will produce a great gearbox.
Old April 7th 2008, 07:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce2 View Post
Only "some"? What other gearbox do you think early 911s had?
Sport-o-matic.

Anyway Oaisis, I have an early 914/901 in my Superbeetle and it works fantastic. The ratios were already correct for the Type IV, and the only mods necessary were replacing the front housing, and shiftrod with 911/901 peices, and flipping the diff. Bug@5speed makes the front housings now, so you don't have to beat the bushes for a hard-to-find 911/901 piece. I thought that making those changes were much easier, and less expensive than changing gear ratios in a 911/901 to work best with a four cylinder engine. Using either 901 is cheaper than a Berg 5 speed.

You'll need to find a 914/901 gearbox with a 'tailshifter' configuration. They were used in the earlier 914 cars.

The limited slip will be ungodly expensive any way you do it in a 901, unless you luck up, and find a gearbox that already has one that the race car guys haven't found yet.
'83 928S 4.7