GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old December 5th 2007, 08:17

That's pretty innovative tucking the radiator up under the front like that. It should work (in my mind anyway) ALA you've got the front side sealed to the inlet air opening and lower high-pressure creating flap under the car. I gather that's what the flanges around the perimeter of the rad are for. And leave plenty of exhaust room on the backside!

FWIW, *F-*C, generally F is about double the C number: so 100C would be close to 200F (212F). The exact calculation is F = (C x 1.8) +32, or C = 0.56 x (F - 32). That's according to my old physics book.
I've got an old TI-60 calculator that worth it's weight in gold to me - as it has all the english - metric conversions built in at the push of a button!
Jeff
Old December 5th 2007, 18:00

Hi

I use a conversion tool from coade.com or conversion buddy freeware. Celsius and Centigrade are the same, don't know why they use different names.

I find the metric system very sensible i.e. 1 litre of water = 1 kg

Steve

Steve
Old December 5th 2007, 22:24

its called Celcius, after the physics guy and centigrade cos its based on a scale that water freezes at 0 and boils at 100 degrees. centi means 100 in latin

The Farenheit scale's zero is the absolute zero where something else solidifies fully if i remember correctly

Chris

1973 1303 going towards GL
Old December 22nd 2007, 21:22

A little video my dad shot for me. I edited it on the windows move editor and it was pretty easy! My first real video.

Shakedown Dec. 22, 2007

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old December 23rd 2007, 00:07

Sounds and stops nice! Good work!
p.s. your dad is a good cameraman!
Old December 23rd 2007, 00:39

Coolness!
VKG Bastage child
Old December 23rd 2007, 09:29

nice one! all done then. how do the brakes feel? i realise it's not full weight yet but is it locking up the rears?
Old December 23rd 2007, 09:32

ah, no worries, just read your brakes thread
Old December 23rd 2007, 12:27

Nice...
One thing I've never seen any mention of: are there general guidelines as to what sort of caster to run when moving the struts to the rear?

How fast do you think it is? Looks pretty nippy on the video.. Gone round any bends a bit faster too to see how the front end is?
Old December 23rd 2007, 16:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricola View Post
Nice...
One thing I've never seen any mention of: are there general guidelines as to what sort of caster to run when moving the struts to the rear?

How fast do you think it is? Looks pretty nippy on the video.. Gone round any bends a bit faster too to see how the front end is?

Yeah, uh, I really don't know. I just kind of set it up arbitrarily, I do have tons of camber adjustment, both at the top of the strut and where the strut meets the bearing carrier, and there is about 1.5" castor adjustment in the strut mount bracket, but I really don't know where it's going to end up. I'm going to take it to some race shop and have them go through it, it might even end up needing a total rear suspension redo. It's definately not ideal right now, but it works, and for around town I suspect it will be just fine, it will be when it's pushed to the limits at speed where the weaknesses will show up. I imagine it handles better then a Chevy Citation right now!

As far as quickness, it's quick! I really havn't even revved it up yet. The tuning is not done on it, so I'm kind of nervous that I'm damaging it if I run it too hard. I don't have seat belts hooked up in it right now, so it's kinda scary how quick it is. Spinning the tires doesn't take any work at all, but that may be a product of poor geometry too. The engine should have around 200hp as it sits right now, and I can't imagine it weighs more than 2000 lbs at this point, so I would imagine around a 5 second 0-60 time shouldn't be a problem. Straight line performance should be pretty crazy, but it's really handling that I'm concerned with in the big picture.

It has not seen a corner at speed, I don't want to fly out the open door!!! I'll get the door on and the seatbelts in before I do any cornering, but I'm not optimistic at this point, aligment and general geometry needs some attention before I get serious about it's cornering ability. It's only run up and down my street here, and the next big trip will be on the back of a trailer to 034 Motorsport to have the engine tuned. Then I can run it without fear of doing any motor damage.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run

Last edited by volkdent; December 23rd 2007 at 16:41.
Old December 24th 2007, 20:01

Man, that's awesome. Well done.

Always cool to see a project coming to life !

Must be a great feeling to drive it after so much work has gone into it !

Rob.
Old December 30th 2007, 22:15

Thanks Rob, still working out the millions of niggles. Today I found out the body moves around alot, enough that a little dent is appearing where the passengers strut mount is banging against the body. Next up it will be making stiffening mounts that tie the body to the rear superstructure.

This is my latest creation, maybe I should be working harder on the bug!

Bad Dub Racing

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run

Last edited by volkdent; February 22nd 2008 at 16:19.
Old January 23rd 2008, 02:05

Some brackets I made with the help of my Christmas present from my dad, a lathe. The back end of the bug was so wobbly that it was banging on the strut mounts enough to dent the body.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run

Last edited by volkdent; January 25th 2008 at 01:11.
Old February 22nd 2008, 18:03

She's been out for a few runs now. I don't have a water temp guage, and the laptop I use has bad batteries, so I can't use the virtual dash to watch them, but the fans don't come on unless I'm stopped for awhile regardless, so that sounds about right!

It's a little twitchy at at any speed, not unstable, just twitchy. I think it's the almost bald 255/40/18s out back tramlining, so I'll put the new 235/45/17 Pirelli PZeroNero's on and we'll see if that feels better. I don't know how fast I'm going, the speedo get's pegged, but I do know that I'm passing people on the freeway very quickly, I'm thinking 80 at least, maybe faster. It corners great, none of the push it had as a BJ front end. I did have one incident on an inclined cloverleaf off/on ramp as I neared the end of it and was accelerating to merge there was some rough road repair and the front kind of jumped sideways then hooked up again, probably the compression settings on the shocks and maybe even the A-arm bushings are a little tight still. Regardless, it hooks up. I did get the back end sliding out a little on a fast braking then hard hard right turn offramp, but that is to be expected under those conditions with a mid-engine car.

The brakes aren't to my liking yet, too much pedal pressure and not enough bite generally, especially from the front. I think the pads may be part of the problem, but I'm sure one of the master cylinders will have to be replaced to reduce rear braking forces or conversely increase the front braking force, the rears are still the ones that want to lock up first. Hopefully that will give me a little bit more pedal at the same time. I talked to a Wilwood tech, and he gave me suspicious info, first saying one thing then the opposite, I'm really not sure how well the guys understand the fluid physics of what they are "teching" with, but it sounds like I need to get a smaller front MC.

Got the static alignment done, and it came out amazingly well. Apparently my fabrication skills are not terrible, as the specs came out better than new factory alignment. It will need to be looked at from a dynamic geometry standpoint in April at Huffaker Engineering at Infineon, he's going to pull the springs and look at toe changes during travel as well as camber changes. I think it will require a rear suspension redu, but we'll have to wait and see.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old March 6th 2008, 14:47

Finally have a dyno appointment at 034 Motorsport on March 17, so I can finally rest easy getting on the gas hard. Spoke with Javad who is the owner at Laguna Seca this last weekend. We were there with the Audi Club and had an amazing time. He thinks things will go smoothly and that we should be done tuning in a couple of hours, but I'll be leaving it there for the week so they can be sure it's cold starting well.

Having a little issue with the battery dying, I have some sort of drain somewhere, but don't know where it is yet. It might be related to the resisitor in the 12-6 Volt adapter for the windshield wipers, I'll have to investigate...

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run