GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old February 25th 2010, 02:04

kerscher camber adjust problems

so every now and then my kerscher front struts top bolt will loosen where the cars camber is controlled. then my camber goes all out of wack.
will these help fix this problem. they are for a 944/
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...250&perfCode=S
like put those through the top bolt hole to keep the camber where it should be.
Old February 25th 2010, 05:42

They should work if the Kersher adjustment is similar to the 944 struts. TBH I can't see why the adjustment should go off. Are you using the eccentric bolts or plain bolts? If you can a photo would be useful.

Clive
Old February 25th 2010, 05:46

Hi

I'm using a similar thing but it was standard on a Mk1 Golf.

Steve
Old February 25th 2010, 07:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilC View Post
They should work if the Kersher adjustment is similar to the 944 struts. TBH I can't see why the adjustment should go off. Are you using the eccentric bolts or plain bolts? If you can a photo would be useful.

Clive
well the top hole where the coilovers bolt onto the spindal, the top hole is oblong so you can loosen it up and adjust camber then retighten. but somtimes under hard driving the bolt loosens causeing my camber to go all ape crap. Im using my og hardware. i was thinking the bolt i posted will like fill in the oblong hole and get rid of my problem.
Old February 25th 2010, 07:10

see how the top hole for the struts is a oblong shape. my kerscher are look very similar. those are 944 struts btw
Old February 25th 2010, 09:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by alindeman1989 View Post
well the top hole where the coilovers bolt onto the spindal, the top hole is oblong so you can loosen it up and adjust camber then retighten. but somtimes under hard driving the bolt loosens causeing my camber to go all ape crap. Im using my og hardware. i was thinking the bolt i posted will like fill in the oblong hole and get rid of my problem.
Hi,
The 944 struts as an example use a bolt with an eccentric washer under the head and the nut. So as you rotate the bolt (not the nut) the bolt eccentric washer presses against the little flange on the bracket and moves the spindle in and out along the elongated hole. Therefore, if the nut is tight the washers are jammed against the flange that stops the bolt rotating. A drop of thread locker would add double security.
The beetle doesn't use this adjustment because it uses the same system at the inboard end of the TCA. You could simply buy the Porsche or Beetle eccentric bolt assemblies or the advertised one. If it were me I would make two eccentric bolts:
Cut a 2 discs of 14g/3mm plate. Put a pilot hole offset from the centre though both of them, the amount of offset being governed by the amount of elongation in the strut bracket. Drill one of the discs through the pilot hole to the size of the bolt. Place this on the bolt under the head and tack weld or braze it in place. Now cut/file a flat on the threaded end of the bolt long enough for the second washer to sit up against the shoulder but clamp the damper bracket tight on the spindle. Then cut/file a D shaped hole in the second washer to the size of the threaded end shape of the bolt using the pilot hole so that when the 2nd washer is on its position matches that of the 1st washer. Hey presto! an eccentric bolt. All you need now is another one for the other side.
Remember that the bolt needs to be the appropriate size for the holes in the spindle. You are also best to use 12.9 grade bolts

Clive
Old February 25th 2010, 10:57

H&R also makes a camber bolt for our application..

May be worth looking at also
Alex
Tele: 973 204-5463
Old February 25th 2010, 11:03

Kerscher's older front coilovers came with welded stops for the bolt so that it wouldnt move, like in you case hard driving, but they have ommited the stops when I ordered a new set from them, I've not used the new set yet.
Old February 25th 2010, 20:37

well what im really looking for is a way the coilover bolts wont loosen on me so my camber does go crazy. is there any way to make it for the coilover not to get loose on me. use thread lock? maybe get some new lock washers?