GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Body

Old April 16th 2006, 18:22

Good tip! :agree: I will give that a shot. I hope to have some time tomorrow afternoon to work on it a bit more. Either that, or I continue grinding some weight off of my Type IV's conrods
Old May 13th 2006, 22:48

Talking

I just did this two weeks ago.. it took me and my friend, with two chisel and 8 hours of classic rock to get it off.... and i'm still not done now its just me with a heat gun and a metal brush working away at the left overs hopefully by tomm she'll be ready for aircraft stripper... all I can say is go at it till you can't anymore.. then do it tomm...
Old May 14th 2006, 00:04

Well, I have been shipping away on it (pardon the pun) and it is just about done. I am trying to clean up the patches as much as possible to do some welding. But this MIG welder of mine is really frustrating me. Cant seem to get the setting/s right. And the wire doesnt seem to want to roll/feed properly

Next appointment is with the stripper! Sandblastiung that is :agree:
Old May 14th 2006, 00:43

I run my MIG welder on #1 for amps and 20% on wire feed with .023 gauge wire for thin sheet metal. I have a Miller 135 welder. Make sure you have the right size tip in the gun for the wire size your running, and the pressure on the drive wheels that push the wire thru the cable. To check the wheel pressure put the tip of the gun on a piece of wood (so you don't arc off), and pull the trigger for a second. If the gun gets pushed up off the wood by the wire then your ok. If not, tighten the drive wheels and try again. Also some MIG welders have two different size groves on them for different size wire. You must have have a mix in your gas cylinder of 75% Argon and 25% CO2 for mild steel for MIG welding.

Make sure you have a good ground,and you have clean paint free and grease free spot you are welding. On the thin sheet metal you can't run a long bead or you will blow right through it, or warp it. You must do small quick tacks and space them out over the length of part. Then go back and fill the gaps, spacing the welds out again. This is how i've been welding thin sheet metal with my MIG welder for years. Hope this helps out.

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG
Old May 15th 2006, 14:45

I used the brute force method. I used this pry bar thing (kind of a mix between a chisel and a crowbar) and a very large hammer. I found that the stuff is fairly brittle in most areas so by place the sharp edge of the pry bar on the side of the tar and hitting it with the 3lb sledge, it broke section off.
Old May 16th 2006, 17:09

Well, the bottom of the chassis wasnt laid thick with this crap like the top was. A quick scraping motion/chipping motion removed most of the stuff at the bottom. Maybe the product kind of broke down over time, being exposed to water/mud/craop on the road etc. Either way, I am not complaining!

I am trying to get the welding done on the chassis, but the MIG welder I have got, I just cant get the settings right to weld the chassis. I am pulling my hair out here. At times, I can get a perfect seamless spot weld. Other times with the exact same settings, the weld doesnt want to penetrate and just leaves a little 'ball' on the surface(although the 'ball' fused prperly to the surface)....

I am now currently on the look-out for a better MIG welder. A mid-range welder. In the region of 175+ with independable wirefeed dial(which my current welder has got) and AMP dial(not like the buttons I have now. I have a "MIN - MAX" and "1 - 2" switch, which I just can figure out properly ). At work, I work with a mid/high range MIG welder, and I can do proper professional welds with that machine.

So wish me luck that the wife agrees to let me buy one(it is halfway there already...)
Old May 16th 2006, 17:18

Are you welding sheetmetal to sheetmetal? or are you welding the floor pan to the tunnel? About what thickness are the materials you're welding?
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...
Old May 16th 2006, 19:16

Hi

My welder has the same series of buttons, from the welders manual I worked out these settings. Make sure sure your shroud is in good condition, it can hamper the gas flow making for crap welds as if you wernt using gas at all. I also soak my wire in WD40, its a penetrating oil for rusted bolts, this stops the wire from rusting in the machine, rust will ruin the liner in the hose going to the gun. I also have a clothes peg hanging on the wire that grips cotton rag and wipes the wire before it goes into the wire feed drums.

Steve

Last edited by Steve C; May 16th 2006 at 19:20. Reason: I pasted the text for the settings and it lost its formating, the picture should make more sense.
Old May 16th 2006, 19:21

The picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg welder settings.jpg (13.8 KB, 17 views)
Old May 17th 2006, 15:34

Hi Mikey,

At the moment I am trying ot patch up little holes in my floorpan. So I am using/welding sheetmetal to sheetmetal. Like I said, sometimes I get a perfect fuse of metals, but other times, without changing anything, I get no fuse at all. Just the little 'ball' that fuses to one 'side' of metal.

Steve C,

Thanks for the good tip/s! I shall go and soak my reel in WD40 now I am being a bit daft here, me thinks. I looked at your posted pic, but for the life of me can not figue it out(forgive me, sometimes I can be a dumb@$$ ) I searched for my manual that came with the welder, but cant find it. And even if I did, I will have to figure out a table if there was one, because the Fench language is not fluent yet... I can take a pic of the AMPs etc on the front of the welding machine if that will/can help shedding some light on it?

Thanks fellas, I appreciate the input/help! :agree:
Old May 17th 2006, 15:37

PS. I wanted to mention that I live by the following motto:
"One day, I will save someone's life with WD40!"

I ALWAYS have a small can of WD40 with me, especially when I ride with my motorcycle. Never leave without it! Did you know how well it works getting bug-splats off paintwork!?
Old June 11th 2006, 23:22

I'm going to look into liquid C02 next time. Maybe that will do the trick. Give it a quick shot, then just break the crap off with a hammer.