GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Off Topic

Old December 17th 2005, 12:12

Welding question

I feel kinda stupid asking this, but here it goes.

I have a small wire-fed welder, but not much experience with it.
My first question is about safety: I've seen guys on TV getting a shock from the welder ? How would this happen ?
Does this happen when you don't have a good ground ? I always thought you could not touch the metal you are welding, but again, it looks like that's not a problem ?

Anybody know any good books on welding ?

Thanks,

Rob.
Old December 17th 2005, 13:37

"My first question is about safety: I've seen guys on TV getting a shock from the welder ? How would this happen ? "

Hold the earth clamp in one hand, put your tongue on the end of the torch and pull the trigger!
I always ensure I have a good ground regardless, for the quality of the weld as much as any safety concerns.
To avoid any risk of shocks, I'll physically unplug the welder if I have to do anything to it, including cleaning the spatter off the nozzle. And NEVER open the side of the welder without unplugging it!

I don't know of any welding books, but the key to it is just practice practice and more practice! Get a load of scrap steel and lay down run after run. You can tell if there's not enough, or too much current/heat etc. Don't know where you're based, but almost every college does evening courses in welding.

Keep at it mate and you'll do ok!
Old December 17th 2005, 14:34

Along with everything Mr. Destruct says add:
It is as easy to avoid shock as it is to get shocked.
If you understand the basic principle of electric welding ( and I know you do), it is using the arc to melt the metal and fuse it together. The key is NOT to place yourself in between the ground and the positive. It sounds simple enough but you have to always be very very aware of where you are in relation to the current path. If you are holding the torch with the trigger pulled, don't have your other hand on the work!
Wear the appropriate clothing. Bare skin anywhere during welding is a no-no. Gloves are really smart. Do I even have to say eye-protection? Mig produces little "pops" of hot slag that will bounce on you! If it lands on the top of your sneaker, it won't stop burning until it gets to the bottom of your sneaker!
Water and electricity, not friends.
You will know when you are in the sweet spot when mig welding, it sounds just like bacon frying. After a little fooling with the temp range and wire speed, you will begin to get the feel for the settings, as soon as it hits that wonderful, even, frying sound, you know. Just make sure the frying isn't your own skin.
Be safe, have fun, and BE SAFE.

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old December 17th 2005, 20:46

Hey Rob,

Everything said so far is good advice. I'm in school right now to be a welder. Safety is everything. Something coving your bare skin is better than nothing. But you should Idealy use tight woven fabric. A denem jacket or a welding jacket. Avoid all synthetics. 100% cotton, don't have any frays on the bottom of your jeans. They do catch on fire. Leather gloves too.

My advice about welding is take your time and be patient. Teaching yourself isn't impossible, it just takes time. Also, be comfortable, get in a comfortable welding position.

Good luck.
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...
Old December 17th 2005, 23:39

I saw a bunch of books on welding today that may help.
They are all the Monster Garage series. One is "How to weld anything" all tips by Jesse James.. i know not the safest guy in the world but probably some good tips. Theres also a few custom motorcycle welding having to do with Tig Mig and regular stick stuff. I saw em in a small bookstore and also at Borders. First chapter is always on safety so im sure there are good tips in there for that kinda stuff. Cheap too! like 12 bucks or so.
Hope that helps!
P.S. Great holiday present!
Old December 18th 2005, 07:49

Hey Mikey,
If you're taking classes, you gotta have some good stories!
Places hot slag went that it shouldn't.
Classmates on fire.
What happens when I do this...
When I took it in high school (early 80's), we were really lucky we didn't hurt somebody. Our teacher was very very safety minded but also the biggest kid in the bunch!

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old December 18th 2005, 12:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panelfantastic
Hey Mikey,
If you're taking classes, you gotta have some good stories!
Places hot slag went that it shouldn't.
Classmates on fire.
What happens when I do this...
You'd be surprised, but I don't have any stories really. Just a few helpfull hints. I've been safe, nothing on fire nothing burned. Maybe a hole in a glove or two. but nothing serious.

*If you plan on welding as hot as the welder will go. We're talking 200-300 amps. Don't use a shade 10 lense. It's like using sunglasses at those amps.
*I told Rob not to wear jeans with fays on the bottom. A few students have caught fire that way. Nothing major. The really smart ones catch fire more than once in the same day.
*A few years ago this one kid had on a pair of coveralls over his jeans. While he was welding the coveralls caught fire, but he didn't feel it because he had pants under the coveralls. By the time he realized it. He had a good fire on his legs. He freaked out. I was told it took 3 guys to hold him down to put the fire out. The inside of the coveralls is what caught fire, it was made of a synthetic material. That made for some nasty burns with that melted to his skin.
*If you plan on welding overhead with Mig, Stick, or Flux Core. Wear a leather jacket. Those little welding jackets are flame resistant, but sparks still burn right though them. My jacket looks like swiss cheese.

Our first year teacher was Very safety minded. Our teacher this year hasn't said a lot. I'm suprised there hasn't been more accidents this year.
Old December 19th 2005, 16:02

I never had any lessons of welding or whatever. I even had not worked with metal before I begun to restorate my bug. I only ones had got an little shock. And that was only an dump fault of mine. I just had cooled some welding with water and emmidiately welded after that. That wasn't smart.

But of the rest I haven't ever got any shock.

Wiebrand

p.s. Don't be stupid to weld without any weldingmask
Old December 19th 2005, 16:43

On a side note, most TV shows don't necessarily show the safest welding practices.

I was watching Xtreme 4x4 on the weekend and the chick on the show was mig welding with only a tight T-shirt on. No jacket or gloves.

That would leave a nasty scar if some slag hit her in the wrong place...

Doug

PS: Just a personal note, but I would not take any of he Monster Garage books as recommended reading, unless you were aspiring to be a hack. Just my opinion, but I could be wrong.
Old December 19th 2005, 23:21

I forgot the best safety device of all.... Safety glasses. Anytime I'm in the shop I have them on.

And we're building and working on 20-50+ year old cars. Rust is gonna fall in your face when you work under them.
Old December 19th 2005, 23:34

I agree Doug.. not the safest dude to copy that Jesse James.. i thought they may have some good tips in em is all.

Oh and extreme 4x4.. gee i wonder why SHE wears a tight t shirt all the time.... :idea:

ratings?
Old December 20th 2005, 13:22

One thing that hasn't been covered but will be really obvious the first time you weld...
The bare skin rule is more than just for keeping sparks off, welding puts out some nasty rays. You will get an intense sunburn. I have a really bad habit of just closing my eyes to do tack welds and not grabbing the helmet. Scorches my eyelids everytime :doh: .

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old December 20th 2005, 14:39

We had a welder fry the tip of his ....you know. Back when I worked at Dresser Rand they used to do some huge compressors. One fellow was inside welding on the intake flange overehead and a nice hot piece of slag popped off and fell down his coveralls that he had unzipped to his waist. Needless to say none of the safety crew wanted to touch the wound they just drove him to the hospital.
Old December 21st 2005, 08:16

Hi

All the above is good advice. I just bought myself a Christmas present, an auto darkening helment. Not a cheap one, my eyes are worth more than $50 to me. Dont know why I didnt buy one years ago.

Steve
Old December 21st 2005, 14:06

Yes Steve.. I bet ya that will be one of the best buyes that you have done.

And don't go for the real cheep ones (I have done the first time).. but go for Speedglass (that I have now) or something like that (they have the best I know). They cost more but are far more worth it.

Wiebrand