GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Clubs From Around The World > VolkSport Käfer Gruppe

View Poll Results: How should we organize German Look club or clubs?
Let everyone qualifying join the VKG (as a root club), then when there are enough people in there region, select a regional rep. and spin off a chapter for that region. With germanlook.com as a central gathering point. 10 66.67%
Germanlook.com will have a forum for each German Look club of the world and let people organize their own clubs in their own regions. 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old January 16th 2003, 11:03
Administrator

Post International Club Poll

The VKG has been started by 4-5 people to be a Southeastern US Club. But many people from across the globe have expressed inerest in joining. We don't want to turn anyone away, so we thought we would run a poll to see what the worlds German Look enthusiasts think about how an international club could be organized, or if it should be organized. Please post your opinion.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe

Last edited by NO_H2O; January 16th 2003 at 11:26.
Old January 16th 2003, 12:58

to all:

this is an attempt to "give the people what they want". the original idea of the club was so that us boyz in the SE US could hang together at shows and other places. the club will have many "virtual" benefits as well (merchandise, e-newsletters, website with club shared info, a gl.com forum for the club, sponsors, club discounts at parts and services places, etc). as no_h20 states, i also think it is up to the people outside of the SE US to tell us what they want. many have shown interest in joining even though they are outside of the southeast and in many cases outside of the US. Supply/Demand. if the demand is there, we are willing to supply the structure for the supply.

VKG can (and has for our club's purposes) set germanlook guidelines for the club cars. obviously, by the string on gl.com regarding "what is the german look", there are many opinions. VKG is just setting what the founders agree upon. i think memberships will indicate if people agree with these guidelines or not. but the rules must be followed or there is not cohesion or group look. as all can see, these rules are pretty darn open and will stay that way. no cal-look/resto strict rules here. but no vw ricers pretending to be GL either.

i am all about freedom of expression. VKG is in NO way saying there should be no other clubs. there should be and there will be. what we are asking is, do you guys want to see an international club, or even only a US club stemed from VKG? if so, option #1. if you want to VKG to stay in the south of the US and mind their own business, option #2.

and please give more than a vote. give some feedback here so we can understand why the vote was chosen.

just my $.18. god that was long. sorry.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old January 16th 2003, 13:38

VKG,
I've had experience with a club that has chapters before and I hate to say it but it was a bad experience. I did learn a few lessons from the whole ordeal.
1) Its got to be something that everyone involved believes in, ie GL. You don't want Cal Look guys in a Vintage club or vise versa. The rules are very important. I like the VKG's rules, obviously GL but not strict like DKP.
2) Since we are spread very thin, when it gets large enough to have several chapters there needs to adhession to the overall theme but at the same time each chapter will need to be fairly independent so as to survive in their own region. What works in SE USA may not work on the West Coast USA or in the UK for example.
3) and the most important one of them all. Have fun! Its a lot of hard work running a club but when it stops being fun then its time to reevaluate the whole thing. When it works it's a lot of fun.

Anyways when you guys decide if VKG is going to be international, national, or just SE I'd like to be part of it if not I'll start my own and base it off of you guys because whether you know it or not you'all have a very strong foundation for a very fresh club.

Nick
Old January 16th 2003, 14:58

At first I was all for staying in the SE US region but then have come to see that the VKG is filling a need that no one has addressed before.

I welcome all the GL world to join and from there break it down to regional levels as enough people are interested.

The big push will be to get the word out about the VKG. Stickers, e-mail signatures with the URL, t-shirts at shows, and so forth. Also if we can get some press in the mags then it will blast off as well.

This is a loose club and I think the rules are easy to follow for a GL car, so I cannot imagine too much quibbling over that part.

I say go for it and lets see what happens!

GLF,
'96 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.5L Diesel
'99 GMC Suburban 6.5L Diesel
VolkSport Kafer Gruppe
Old January 16th 2003, 15:41

agreed. well let me be the first then. see signature below we never did finish defining titles beyond our prez. i will remain a nameless title for now. :silly:

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old January 16th 2003, 15:57

Talking

At least make it "Käfer" :hehehe: :hehehe: :hehehe:

And here is your :help: : For the ä press and hold the right alt key and punch in 132 from the number keys to get the ASCII code for it.

About the club or clubs:

There are a few concerns that need to be addressed though:
It would not be a problem to create forums for the different regions of VKG. This way you could have a generic forum to address issues for the entire a club and use the location forums to discuss meets....shows....BBQs.....etc.

We here at Germanlook will support either way you want to go as long as GL.com is supported. The idea is not to start having tech articles, Galleries of parts etc on the website of the local club.
The intention of GermanLook.com was to have the information as a central access point on the net. We are only 6 months old and we have grown quite a bit and would like to continue to do so.
Actually when I think I like the idea better to have independant clubs and have the GL.com the site that puts or ties them together. But that is my personal point of view. We are still trying to find advertisers sponsers for the site and we are trying to find them around the world to give the site a more global feel to it to reach out to everyone and spread the word about GermanLook ACVWs.

We do have a strong group from the UK with cars done and cars being build.There should be enough to get something going there.
It is just a matter of deciding which route to go.

I vote for independant.
The reason is becasue the bigger you get the more complicated it will get.

Alex

Hmm I just thought of something.....what about having national clubs......like VKG for the US, XYZ for the UK and so on?
Old January 16th 2003, 16:45

VKG could be a national club, it would definitely be easier on us as the the first chapter to mail news letters & send out merchandies, etc.

I vote for a national VKG with regional chapters. This way we can serve the issues of our club better.

But this is up to the GL community.... what do you guys think?

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old January 16th 2003, 16:53
Administrator

Talking VKG Chapters

I vote VKG as the international club and chapters in different regions. This lets people be part of something bigger than themselves.

I want to join too, but don't see a huge GL presence in the GTA YET !

Sandeep
Old January 16th 2003, 17:04

I aplaud the effort to start a GL club. I did however vote for option #2. I think the VKG rules are too strict for my tastes, I will not quibble though. I will watch from the sidelines and wish you all good luck and hope this makes the GL scene more visible.
ken
Old January 16th 2003, 19:23
Superman

I like the rules also; however, I'm on the sidelines too due to rule #1 about the engine.
Old January 17th 2003, 13:56

I would be interested in joining the club, but a couple of problems with my 'qualification.'

1. I haven't found a new beetle to work on yet. (getting out of credit card and school debts right now)
2. I understand the reasons for the rules, but they might be a bit strict.

After having 4 bent 17" rims on my '97 GTI, and having to buy new ones soon, I don't know that I want to worry as much with my beetle. I happen to like the old stock VW rims w/ the 5 lugs.

Even more, I like the idea of someone rolling up to me and thinking I'm just a 'slow as ship' beetle until I unleash the mighty horses of my Type IV. So that stock stuff might be carried through to the interior also. (in which case I don't qualify there either)

I like these forums, and am learning a lot, so I'm going to continue to hang out here, and if the club gets going, I might like to meet and hang out with you guys too. I can still be a member wanna-be, right?

-Craig

*EDIT: I voted for number 1*
Old January 17th 2003, 15:01

Kdanie writ:
>I think the VKG rules are too strict for my tastes<

How do you mean? Like what would you change? Maybe our rules are missing something, but we considered them fairly loose but still trying to keep with the bare essentials to keep GL. Any input would be appreciated on this.

Craig, Personally I think that we could keep the steel 5 lugs (welded out 6"+) as long as big brakes were behind them. Discs are one of the essentials to the GL.

Again we know GL is hard to define, but if you all see something that is missing or maybe not stated quite right just let us know and we can put it up for debate.

Thanks,
'96 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.5L Diesel
'99 GMC Suburban 6.5L Diesel
VolkSport Kafer Gruppe
Old January 17th 2003, 15:19
Administrator

Lightbulb

To me (just my thoughts) the first thing that sets a GL apart at first glance is the Porsche style wheels/tires filling the fenders and that low porsche like stance.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old January 17th 2003, 17:12

I have already stated my thoughts about the definition of a GL car on The definition of a GL car thread .

I thought we had some faily loose rules. They are more like guidelines then anything else. We didnt say you had to have Porsche wheels, nor did we say you have to have 17" rims.

But we did say that the car cant be stock looking!
BECAUSE THAT WOULDNT BE GERMAN LOOK, THATS A SLEEPER!

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old January 17th 2003, 17:34

out of interest, my cabrio retains all the stock trim, something I made a point of doing, yet I still class it in the 'German Look' mould due to the performance modifications.

According to the shaved trim rule, cars like mine or the one below can not be accepted

project in progress
Closed Thread