GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Clubs From Around The World > VolkSport Käfer Gruppe

View Poll Results: How should we organize German Look club or clubs?
Let everyone qualifying join the VKG (as a root club), then when there are enough people in there region, select a regional rep. and spin off a chapter for that region. With germanlook.com as a central gathering point. 10 66.67%
Germanlook.com will have a forum for each German Look club of the world and let people organize their own clubs in their own regions. 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old January 17th 2003, 17:39

For some reason alot of GL/Euro look cars in the Uk keep their chrome trim.... maybe if the Uk starts a chapter of VKG then can amend that rule

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old January 17th 2003, 18:26
Administrator

Talking

Hot66, that is one nice car!! If I had an oval I would keep the trim too. The color goes very well with trim. It's not every day you see a GL Oval. My hat is off to you.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe

Last edited by NO_H2O; January 17th 2003 at 18:56.
Old January 17th 2003, 19:11

sorry but its not my car, this turbo type4 belongs to UK's Mark Thurston. ( see www.lbc2.com )

Imagine the same car but painted gloss black & a cabrio with cup2's & you've got mine

project in progress
Old January 17th 2003, 19:16

Lightbulb Question

What is it you want to do with the club?
Share information? Schedule meetings? Post show dates and organizing cruises?

This is my idea.....instead of having seperate sites we could incoorporate a lot here on the main site.
We have the members ride setion. At the moment it is sorted by the year of the car. I would think that we could do it for location.

Articles and galleries are already here as well as show coverages.
Forums can be easily created. This would ensure minimum cost to run a club. It would be just distributing new letters.

It could go further that we could look into a dedicated server and give webspace to the different chapters.
The more I think about it we should close the vote and come up with some ideas first and then vote on the 2 most poplular votes.

There are still too many questions about rules, international, national or even independant clubs. I think this really needs to be discussed more before we can all make an educated decision.

What do you guys think?

Just my thoughts...

Alex
Old January 17th 2003, 21:32
Administrator

That is a good idea. It would not be the first time a group had to take a step back and regroup.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old January 20th 2003, 08:44

Alex,
I like your idea.
Vujade,
I think that what you call a 'sleeper' can definitely be also called a German Look! I thought that the thead 'what is the definition of..' had pretty much sorted that out.

Besides, the guy that would like his car to be build as an GL (in the future), should also be able to join. Supporting the filosophy behind it should be more important than 'rules'. Thats just my opinion of course.
Walter
Old January 20th 2003, 11:34

Adrian, I haven't been on this topic for a few days, sorry for the delay in answering your question.

I consider my project a GL but I don't fit these rules:

I will have the chrome side trim, just so I don't have to spend the time filling the holes! I want to drive this damn thing!

My paint will not be Euro influenced. I am planning on painting it "Honduras Maroon", it's a 50's custom color that was popular in the U.S. It's a dark maroon without any metalic.

My wheels are from a 912 but they are steel, if you don't look at the crest on the hubcap (and know what you are looking at) you would think they were VW wheels. I may get some 16" Porsche wheels for track use.....

I guess my car qualifies as a sleeper/stealth GL, unless you look closely you would never know it had so much Porsche stuff motivating/stopping it.

Do I feel hurt because I don't qualify? Not really, I'm building this thing to drive the wheels off it, not show it.

ken
Old January 20th 2003, 13:00

All these rules sound a bit DKP ish.. I thought this thread more or less ended up with people saying there are no fixed rules?
Old January 20th 2003, 13:02

I didn't vote, but I do have an opinion.
The club is a great idea (I want to be accepted).
Rules,guidelines,qualifications are very important but need to be a little flexible (and they do seem to be).
You could be a member based on your love of the GL style regardless of what "GL" state your current ride is at. (you will soon give in to the dark side anyway )
Should be international, a true fellowship regardless of geography. The chapter buisness sounds a little to fragmenting, gets away from the family feeling the club is supposed to be about to begin with.
If you want to share regional info, just start a regional sub-forum.

Just some random observations, you can throw rocks now.
:silly:
Old January 20th 2003, 14:29

all, great points of discussion and everyone has been read and discussed among us. we are having some chats to figure out what to do. we already have some ideas, we just need to firm them up.

understand one thing before hard opinions are formed about VKG (like there is of DKP or BKCruisers). these are first draft "rules". they were intended as a starting point. we view these more as guidelines than rules. as many will still have rides under construction and it is hard to met that criteria when you don't even have a car to drive. a car is not a MUST and meeting EVERY ONE of the guidelines is not a MUST. but without some standards, how is the club to have an image.

we have a few of the guidelines we are going to tweak based on feedback from all of you. and thanks for that. that said, we will have some things that we insist on to maintain the club image (and believe me, i am one of the biggest supporters of freedom of expression there is).

don't get hung up on the "rules". not just yet anyway. it is more the club structure and presence we were interested in feedback on. and i think we have some valuable input now. besides, based on the "what is germanlook" thread, there is NO way that everyone is going to meet the rules or be happy with them. there is no intent to make EVERYONE happy, just the majority.

look for updates in the next few days!!!!!

GL forever!!!!!!!!!!

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design

Last edited by zen; January 20th 2003 at 14:35.
Old January 20th 2003, 15:48

I agree with everything Zen has said in the previous post.
We did not start this club with the intention of pleasing the masses.

If we did, why not take it a step further & leave it open to all styles of aircooled VW's.
What about going further then that and allowing all vw's including new ones too?
We could even go further that and allow all makes & models of cars...

so where does it end?
where should we set the limits?

there always has to be some rules or guidelines to a club,
otheriwse you would be open to anyone & there are already plenty of VW clubs like this around the world for people to join.

We dont want to leave anyone out that wants to join, but at the same time we are trying to set a overall look & feel for our club.

I am sorry in anyone takes offense to anything we have said or done. It is unintentional.

Please be assured that we are not trying to say that this is the only way you can German Look your car. But is the way, we as the founders of VKG prefer our cars to look.

Also as stated above, if you do not fit the VKG guidelines now but intend to build your car to fit the VKG guidelines, you are more then welcome to join now while your car is being built.

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old January 20th 2003, 17:24

After reading the VKG rules again... They seem very reasonable to me.

Even Ken qualifies with 15" Porsche wheels (no clarification on steel or alloy).

The only item I can see some good debate on would be the chrome trim. As it seems the European crwod might like this look... Hey if you like to have your VW look like a 1971 Buick blinding you with chrome refections that is cool! JK Maybe gold plat the rest of the car like the Low Rider crowd? LOL

I think there is an article in the tech section on blacking out trim if you do not want to cover up the holes.

Personally I think chrome does not fit the GL look as you do not see most of the European cars fitted with this stuff. Mostly plain clean cars. Especially the later Porsche cars. Chrome bumpers are cool on VWs, but then again there are few alternatives.

I guess it kind of falls into what is considered the GL.

Again I think VKG need to get together and really decide what the scope of the club should be. Then go from there.
'96 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.5L Diesel
'99 GMC Suburban 6.5L Diesel
VolkSport Kafer Gruppe
Old January 20th 2003, 17:28

i think we are done here then. time to close the thread and we will post an update as soon as one is available. thanks to EVERYONE for the input.

FWIW, if i had an oval, i would not be deleting the trim either.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Closed Thread