GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 8th 2008, 22:38

well I'm not 100% convinced, but if I have it, why not give it a try... If the results are not gonna be ok, then I switch back to the stock steering and try to source a late 1303 rack.
Yes, I've read about the bump-steer problem alot all over the aircooled forums, but I've never actually heard it/read it from someone who has really done it.
The pivot point is actually not that far out, compared to the stock 1303 pivot point (not r&p version). I'm gonna get exact measurements, and yes, I realise only a few mm could matter for a good or bad setup.
Right now, it looks like everybody is saying "don't do it, yo're gonna get bump-steer!" based on calculations, maybe engineering studies or experience, or just a hunch (did I spell that right?) ....At least I'm gonna be the one to say "Don't do it, I've already tried that and it sucks!"
There's a subaru powered bug featured in the 2008 Kaefer Revue Magazine that has this conversion, and it looks like it's working.
And yes, mine is the power steering unit, but w/o a pump, it should be just like the normal one. I'm not planning on using a pump for the start at least.
I've read everything I could find on steering setups and the bump-steer effect, but it's not much. If you guys can point me to some more info, I would be grateful.
I'll take into consideration everything you guys might have to add, pros or cons. The first thing for me too is safety.. That's for sure!
The only other porsche rack setup, I found, besides the one in that magazine would be in these 2 pictures, but I can't remember where they are from:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg racksteering.jpg (65.5 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg 65_12_s.jpg (38.2 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by Xellex; December 8th 2008 at 22:51.