GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old October 10th 2004, 22:26

US built Cup Exhaust

I am thinking about building a Cup type exhaust system here in Texas for my next engine. I have a new BAS Cup system to use as an example and would use Burns Stainless components. If I end up building a jig and making them here, is there other interest? I cannot guess on price until I get materials quotes. But I would not sell them for more than BAS used to before they stopped building them. The next question would be which mufflers to use? Phase? I really like the Burns Stainless Double-slip Turbo collectors and think they would even work well on the sidewinder of a normally aspirated engine with the V-Band. Of course just this one piece costs almost $400.! Obviously I am looking for serious interested parties only and everything would depend upon cost and quality.

Let me know if you are interested, it will help me decide whether to invest the man hours into a jig and engineering the exhaust.

Comments Jake etc?

Thanks,

Randy
Meyers Manx Signature #85 , 79 Convert

Last edited by SuperRSi; October 10th 2004 at 22:28. Reason: add ons
Old October 10th 2004, 23:08

I might be interested but it would all depend on the final price of the A-1 performance exhaust being built now for the type 4. Although I do like the sidewinder design better from a cosmetic point of view. I might just want the header and use the same setup that Sandeep runs on his bug.
www.volksport.net Volksport Kfer Gruppe
Old October 11th 2004, 07:26

It will remain to be seen what Tiger at A-1 builds. He makes a fine exhaust.
The only problem I see is that Tiger has been quoted as saying he does not like to build stainless and sees little advantage. Personally I want stainless only for the lack of rust and long term endurance. I understand it will color change with heat, oh well. But even the best coatings will get rust into the metal eventually, and I do not want to have to replace the exhaust because it rusted out, ever. I would also rather build the headers and let each customer deal with their own idea of mufflers. I am researching materials cost in the next couple weeks and will keep everyone posted.

Thanks,

Randy
Meyers Manx Signature #85 , 79 Convert
Old October 11th 2004, 10:34

Thanks Randy, I personaly like the color of stainless steel. It turns a nice golden color when heated up, I had a full race exhaust on my last bike that the header was made from thin wall stainless steel. My new bike has full titanium headers and muffler and it turned all sorts of pretty colors from heat.
www.volksport.net Volksport Kfer Gruppe
Old October 11th 2004, 16:25

If the cost is right...

That seems to be the big point with all of these systems. I personally don't care where it exits if the price is right.
Old October 12th 2004, 20:12

Lightbulb

:idea:
Has anybody ever thought about using "F" pipes from a '75 or '76 914 2.0, turning them around so the outlets are towards the back, and mounting mufflers to those?

The 3 bolt flanges on those look very similar to the flanges on some type I headers. Imagine two stinger megaphones comming out from under the car and stopping at the edge of the apron...
'83 928S 4.7
Old October 12th 2004, 20:22

Can I say something?

Man that would be loud!!!
(but cool)

I had asked a similar question somewhere else. I'm sure you could take the 914 piece and either modify the flanges to fit a stock(T1) setup. But getting it under the apron....

I might give it a try when I get the engine in.
Old October 12th 2004, 20:43

True dat! it would be loud.

I started a new thread on that so's not to hijack Randy's thread here...

Back to the true header Randy was talking about, I believe a lot of folks here would be into that. Currently I think Ahnendorp is the only company that makes a stainless header. I'm not sure if the Tangerine header is stainless, or if stainless steel construction is an option. Either way $2k+ is pretty steep for an exhaust no matter how it works, or how it sounds.

The Ahnendorp header is regarded as "good enough" for most Type IV's, but not good enough for 200+horsepower. The KaferCup system was, but Ahnendorp doesn't make those anymore.

Anyhoo, There's what I think is the niche in the market, a header large enough that it will work for engines over 200 hp, made of stainless, so it won't rust, and is less than $1k to buy. I know the price will be hard to keep that low, especially if they are essentially handmade on a jig, but that's the biggest problem with the Type IV conversion, is the high price of a good exhaust.
'83 928S 4.7
Old October 12th 2004, 21:14

Yes, I think the cost is a huge factor in T4 conversions. I think more people would be doing it if you could do it all for around 2k. That seems what it takes to rebuild a healthy T1. So more power/ same cost?? Probably a little unrealistic, but I'm going to try. Paitience and good deals.

Anyhow, the exhaust is the one area that there really seems no way around. Hell, I'd be interested in a non stainless version if it was cheap enough. Ceramic coat it or something. I'm thinking of doing a one-off for my system, something like the Aussie's have done (sorry, can't remeber which one). We've got alot of good exhaust guys down here that build for nascar teams and drag cars. Maybe I can talk one of them into doing it. But if one of you guys beat me to the punch, I've got $$$