GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Electrical

Old December 1st 2005, 16:16

Watson Streetworks Vw wiring instructions

Okay since no help on the fuse box conversation. Does any one have a copy of the "Watson Streetworks VW wiring instructions"? I've done some research and think I can figure out the OEM Wiring with Updated blade fuse box, but I need to see a couple of changes that are included in the Watson instructions. Any help out there.....

Thanks
Old December 17th 2005, 16:37

Yep I can help , what do you want to know.

I've just fitted one with some mods. In fact I produced my own wiring diagram too.

I wanted a copy from Watson to play with but they were very unhelpfull.
Old December 18th 2005, 01:40

How did you like the kit? How much was it? Thanks JR
Old December 18th 2005, 07:54

This is on my list to do to my bus so any info shared would be appreciated.
Maybe somebody could put together a walk through how-to kinda thing??
I just basically want to add a modern fuse panel in place of the original.

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old December 18th 2005, 19:39

I'm going to install a WSW kit in my car over the winter (once it's back from paint and reassembled ). I'm planning to do a tech article on it...
Old December 19th 2005, 11:56

I wouldn't recommend it as a straight fuse box relay unless you are going to do more.

The kit has a few features on the fuse box itself like the indicator and horn replay so tidies things up but a small gripe is that it does't contain a headlight replay so you end up having to put a relay box in any case.
What is really nice is that the cables are named and are primary colours. If you could buy these by the lenght it would be even better.

I've had to create my own wiring diagram to add some additional components which I attached small samples to this thread. http://www.germanlook.com/Forums/sho...&highlight=85K
I wanted to keep the oringinal Watson diagram intacked and they would not supply another without paying for a paper copy. They don't have an electronic version!

I don't beleive there is a UK reseller or anyone that stocks it. Mine came directly from Watson. (I can't remember off hand what it came too including shipping)

I must get in the habit of taking pictures while in the process , I always leave it until the job is complete , I'll get clicking. I've still to wire up the DTA for the fuel injection.
Old December 19th 2005, 14:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Cabby
Yep I can help , what do you want to know.

I've just fitted one with some mods. In fact I produced my own wiring diagram too.

I wanted a copy from Watson to play with but they were very unhelpfull.
I forgot about this topic. It been a while.

I would like to see if I could see a Watson diagram and figure out a way to upgrade my OEM fuse box with a bladed fuse box. I like Watson’s kit, but I found out about their kit after I had bought and installed an OEM kit on my 69. If you know how to upgrade the fuse box that would be great, from what I gather though I guess its not a easy upgrade.

I have:
Sony Receiver
Amp
Sub-Woofer
Component set
5 Auto Meter gauges (Speedo, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, Volts and Gas)
MSD Box
MSD Blaster Coil
Red Optium Battery
then all the other regular stuff.

Last edited by elev8_dude; December 19th 2005 at 14:08.
Old December 20th 2005, 05:35

elev8_dude:
The neatness or simplicity of the installation would be down to the wires going to the fuse box, that sounds almost too obvious. But what I mean is that the watson main fuse panel really only saves you the spaghetti of the wires from the fuses to the replays and gives an idiot like approach to connection.
When the kit is going in afresh all the connecting wires are going to be the right length and routed accordingly. When you are retro fitting it will certainly require extending some wires and the untidiness comes back. Maybe that is too much of a pure view of the problem.
As far as connecting all your items up it wouldn't be an issue, there are 3 spare fuse locations and the MSD would be run off a relay anyway. The kit expects all gauges to be run from a single fuse so that would be straight forward.

Although rereading you post, why not just change the just the fuse panel and relay with something like this.
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.c...hotos/lfb1.jpg
Or go one step further
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.c...o/1520demo.jpg
Old December 20th 2005, 15:33

You’re right on the retro fit. I defiantly don't want to splice and add more wire. I like your "link" ideas. Would those be hard to wire up or are they pretty straight forward. I like the second link the best. Thanks for all the help.
Old December 20th 2005, 17:25

I have the watsons instruction but unfortunately don't have a scanner at the moment (plus the pages are A3 size) - being in Australia doesn't help much either (can't exactly zip around to have a look!).

Here is a link detailing some of my installation (I used the full kit though rather than retro fitting)...
http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/album228

If you are really stuck I guess I could take a pic of the insutructions with the digital camera then email them to you? Let me know.

Cheers
Alan

Old December 20th 2005, 17:34

Its good to tqalk to you DASDUBBER. Its your car that got me started on the whole idea. I've been tracking you for about 3 months maybe more. You did an excellent job on the wire install. I'm afraid though that my OEM wiring won't be easily retro fitted to a GM type Blade Fuse block (like Watsons). My goal to to have my wiring clean and tighty (like yours). I might look into the links offered above.

I would love to see Watsons instructions, however if its to much trouble don't worry about. Thanks for the info. Love the car, I show everyone over in the states your gallery.