GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Clubs From Around The World > VolkSport Käfer Gruppe

Old September 25th 2011, 14:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
There are some parts that are not. I am sometimes almost embarassed to take pictures of the sub-standard parts. That's why the updates are so far and few. I really want this car to be perfect, but at that rate. I'll never finish it.

Thanks again,
You make what you can how you can. Sometimes you go back and re-make a part to get better function, sometimes you pretty it up. Everyone doesn't have a five-axis or the ability to tig like a robot. Be proud of the parts you can afford and what you accomplish!

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old September 25th 2011, 21:31

Thanks for the comments.

Thanks panel, I have made a few steps back here and there to made things better, or improve their function. The water lines are a great example of an idea or design I really liked that proved to not to be the best.

Steve,
I did consider using 1-1/2" pipe for the coolant lines. I actually had 1-1/2" pipe from the start. But the original location of the coolant lines were simply not practical for the location of the engine coolant hoses and the radiator.
The original design was a pipe on each side of the tunnel.

Since the engine's coolant lines were only on the passenger side. The decision was made to just put the coolant lines on the passenger side.

Then I had to decide on a size. 1-1/2 seemed a little big to me. I asked around my work for opinions on the size of the coolant hose. I was under the assumtion that a larger pipe would have more volume but less pressure. So the smaller pipe 1" would have less volume but more pressure. I'm also counting on the coolant pipes under the car to act as a second radiator. That is why I welded the two together. I even placed rubber pads under the pipe to help hold the pipes off the chassis so air can circulate all the way around the pipes. The fact that 20AN fittings cost more than twice as much as 16AN fittings helped me choose 16AN. And given the restriciton in space under the chassis, 1" seemed to fit better. In the end my decision to use 16AN is a balance between, size, location, cost, and maybe a little trial and error to keep it interesting.

Sorry, I tried to make my answer to the point without missing many details.

New progress.
I had to reshoot the trunk, I used a late model bug master cylinder bowl bracket to hold the mc bowl. I used pop rivits to hold the bracket in place.

Another shot, I just set the tank in for the picture. It still needs refinishing.

I would have bleed the brakes today but I need brake light switches.

Thanks again for the comments. I'm really excited to get to drive this thing soon.
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...
Old September 25th 2011, 22:08

Looking good Mickey, lots of progress since I last checked your build
Old September 25th 2011, 22:37
Administrator

The car, and work, is looking good. Build things to the best of your ability now, and go back and upgrade down the road as skills improve.

I've laid over 190 inches of welds on my new project, but still think my welding is embarrassing. It's improved 10-fold from my '69, but doesn't meet the robot-like abilities of some here. Ah well, I figure, there will always be another shell

Keep it up, it will all be worth it when you get to fire it up and take it for a drive.

-Dave
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap
Old September 26th 2011, 22:08

Thanks guys.

Dave, I weld for a living and I still find ways to improve everyday.

I found my brake switches tonight. That's all I needed to bleed the brakes.
Old September 26th 2011, 22:53

nice work Mike, I finally finished my.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 082.jpg (41.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 080.jpg (69.7 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg ghia 1.jpg (42.8 KB, 31 views)
Old September 27th 2011, 20:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by brujo65 View Post
nice work Mike, I finally finished my.
Nice, it looks really good.

I am getting closer and closer to trying to wire the engine and car. How easy or hard was it to wire and hook up the vacume lines?

Thanks,
Old October 9th 2011, 22:43

The wife and I have been working on our Ghia.

We mounted both driver's and passenger seats last weekend and front hood.

The passenger side is a little closer to the dash because lack of forsight in the placement of the waterline bolts under the car. It actually helps because the passenger doesn't need to sit as far back. Also if I was any taller at all, I think I would need differant seats. They are as far back as possible. And at 6ft tall, I'm almost out of leg room. My head comes close to the roof.

This weekend...
Welded 6an fittings to the bottom of the tank, both send and return. I still need to seal the inside and paint the outside.

Made a bolt on spare tire mount in the trunk.

Spare tire bolted in, the plastic peice holding the spare tire down is out of my new beelte.

Both hoods w/pulls and both doors. Also the rear apron is bolted in too.

I removed the seats so I can park the car outside. The rear is still high since there is no engine.

I'm ready to drive this beast!
Old October 10th 2011, 14:50

It may work out ok, but I just wanted u to be aware of a possible cooling issue. U welded the hot and return lines together in an attempt to help cooling is what it sounds like u said. Unfortunately that's the reverse of what u accomplished, as cool side coolant returning to the engine from the rad will be heated by the hot coolant leaving the engine. I don't mean to rain on ur parade, and hopefully it works out ok, but it may have defeated some of the cooling potential of the system.

Jason

Quote:
Thanks for the comments.

Thanks panel, I have made a few steps back here and there to made things better, or improve their function. The water lines are a great example of an idea or design I really liked that proved to not to be the best.

Steve,
I did consider using 1-1/2" pipe for the coolant lines. I actually had 1-1/2" pipe from the start. But the original location of the coolant lines were simply not practical for the location of the engine coolant hoses and the radiator.
The original design was a pipe on each side of the tunnel.

Since the engine's coolant lines were only on the passenger side. The decision was made to just put the coolant lines on the passenger side.

Then I had to decide on a size. 1-1/2 seemed a little big to me. I asked around my work for opinions on the size of the coolant hose. I was under the assumtion that a larger pipe would have more volume but less pressure. So the smaller pipe 1" would have less volume but more pressure. I'm also counting on the coolant pipes under the car to act as a second radiator. That is why I welded the two together. I even placed rubber pads under the pipe to help hold the pipes off the chassis so air can circulate all the way around the pipes. The fact that 20AN fittings cost more than twice as much as 16AN fittings helped me choose 16AN. And given the restriciton in space under the chassis, 1" seemed to fit better. In the end my decision to use 16AN is a balance between, size, location, cost, and maybe a little trial and error to keep it interesting.

Sorry, I tried to make my answer to the point without missing many details.

New progress.
I had to reshoot the trunk, I used a late model bug master cylinder bowl bracket to hold the mc bowl. I used pop rivits to hold the bracket in place.

Another shot, I just set the tank in for the picture. It still needs refinishing.

I would have bleed the brakes today but I need brake light switches.

Thanks again for the comments. I'm really excited to get to drive this thing soon.
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old October 10th 2011, 20:24

Well Jason, when you're right, you're right.

So, if the water lines were not attached and separated by some distance. My assumption would hold that the water lines would act like a radiator?

Hmmm, well played good sir. Well played.
Old October 11th 2011, 23:51

Quote:
Well Jason, when you're right, you're right.

So, if the water lines were not attached and separated by some distance. My assumption would hold that the water lines would act like a radiator?

Hmmm, well played good sir. Well played.
Sorry man!!! Just didn't want you to scratch your head raw if things weren't working the way you planned. Yes, aluminum is great to diffuse heat, so it should be OK with the amount of coolant volume and the length of the runs. The key will be to make ABSOLUTELY sure you can bleed any high points, speaking from experience that will make more difference than almost anything else.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old October 13th 2011, 00:13

Quote:
Nice, it looks really good.

I am getting closer and closer to trying to wire the engine and car. How easy or hard was it to wire and hook up the vacume lines?

Thanks,
I am using stinger ecu and no to many vac lines. let me know if I can help you out
Old October 17th 2011, 10:33

I'm using a LINK ecu which I'm putting by the battery under the rear seat. I ran the wiring to the passenger compartment from the engine by fishing it up through the upper right side of the engine compartment. It comes in behind the right rear interior panel next to the back seat.
Old October 23rd 2011, 23:32

Well Jason, I havn't decided what to do about the waterlines.

This weekend and last, I installed the headlights, turn signals, front bumper, mirrors, wiper motor, tail lights... when I installed the mirrors, I wanted a frim mount instead of having only the two bolts holding on the sheet metal. So I cut a peice of aluminum and drilled two holes in it to act like a big washer. I forgot to take a picture.

I cleaned and put the rubber on the front and rear windows. I also set them on the car for a picture. The front glass is new but the rear is the original.

I worked on cleaning the windows while the fiberglass filler was curing. I needed to shorten the rear bumper on the sides where I widdened the rear fenders.

Getting closer.

Final mount before paint.

Ghia bumpers also mount on the ends of the blade, I had to replace 1 missing mount in the rear bumper and both missing mounts in the front. They turned out really good. I mounted the ends of both bumpers.

My help (wife) was sick this weekend. So I had to do everything myself.
Old October 24th 2011, 07:56
Administrator

Nice work mikey. Keep inching your way forward.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe