GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Wheels

Old May 14th 2007, 07:28

Wheel Spacers SOS!...stacking vs. solid one piece?

Greetings folks. Will be purchasing some Twists this week for my '72 SB as step 1 towards "Germanizing" my gal. 7/17's and 9/17s. The Backspacing on the 9's is 55mm. I DO want to go wider to fill my CCC fenders. I am looking for an alternative to gutting my rear end and converting my rear suspension from stock to 944. For example, I read that Lazarus added a 1.5" spacers to his backend with a wider fender. After doing extensive research on the Net I have found several retailers that sell "porsche" spacers and I am specifically referring to the "slip over/shim type spacers. NOT adaptors.

I found this quote on one particular Porsche parts store re. shim type spacers:

...Use individually or stack them for the spacing you need.

So my questions are:

Is is safe or unsafe to stack spacers to achieve my desired width? Or ideally should you purchase a solid spacer. (ex...2.5" in stacked vs a 2.5" thick spacer)

And is a 2 to 3" wide spacer safe? in other words can you go too wide for a particular spacer before switching to a wider trailing arm?

Thanks!

Hazen
Old May 14th 2007, 07:56

Hello Hazen,

I'm in the middle of process of a 1303 sb with many many porsche things and I looking to purchase a new replica set of Porsche twist wheels but 17x7 and not 17x7.5 because I want to keep it until 7" on the front.

Could you please provide me the distributor of yours, in order to contact them and find out if they have an extra pair of these type of wheels?

Kind regards,

Jimmy
Old May 14th 2007, 09:24

Hey Jimmy,

Don't know how much I can help. Or how much you can access from where you are living. I happen to be purchasing mine from an individual not a retailer and they are used. But there are a great deal of sources out there. Ebay, the Samba, as well as a variety of aftermarket retailers. Whose good and whose not? Well, that I don't know from experience.

I have read great things about Wheel Enhancement both from this site and SBO. I have not purchased from them and I believe you will need to email for a price:

During my searh, I found these guys Lakeshore Wheels and Tire that also offer what you are looking for:

Here's the Porsche 17" link on ebay (although it includes all sizes). You may find some here. Several are aftermarket dealers while some are guys selling outright. (its a long link...you may want to copy and paste)
http://motors.search.ebay.com/porsch...eQQsacatZ43957

One thing...I am not sure about the quality of the less expensive aftermarket retailers out there. I have seen prices from $500 (polished) to $1500 (chromed) for a set of four. Some sell individuals. Like I said, I don't know who is putting out quality stuff or not.

Best of luck!

Hazen
Old May 14th 2007, 11:17

Hazen, If your going to need a spacer that wide, it's best to use one soild spacer. To stack spacers you will be spending more money (two sets of spacers compared to one). Also stacking spacers that much, you run into trouble with wheel stud length (really long). A pair of 2.5 spacers should use the stock studs to bolt the spacer on, then, another set of studs for the wheel to bolt to. All this should be "hubcentric" of course...

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG
Old May 14th 2007, 17:33

Wow...I am psyched! Just got back from the local "german" repair shop and was asking the mechanic there about spacers, adaptors, etc. Well, as I am asking, he points to a sweet looking black older 911 with 18 twists on the back sporting 265's. And lo and behold...it was sportin' 3" adaptors! Not the "shim" type spacers but 5 lugged adaptors and what's more, they were ncredibly Beefy! Furthermore, it was his car! This is a bit of a relief for at this point, I just want to be able to fill my 3" wider CCC fenders with my 9" twists. Needless to say (but I guess I will anyway!) I was stoked to find out that I can do so without having to gut out the rear of my '72! If for no other reason, it offers me the ability to return to full stock should I want to sell her in the future. I have no desire to sell her at all but I'd like to keep her resellable!

And I agree Wrench...I will go with a solid spacer or adaptor. Once I get the wheels I will measure and determine the width of the spacer needed. Hopefully, based on the fact that Lazarus is using 1.5" spacers for his 2" wider rear CCC fenders on a stock rear, I am hoping the 2.5's or 3's will work. And by stock I mean stock trailing arms/spring plates vs. wider 944's.

What about the brakes...does it matter what type of rear discs brakes. I know Jon's at Topline are excellent rears (I have the fronts). Any thoughts?

Hazen
Old May 14th 2007, 21:36

Hazen, the rear brake choice is of course early 944. Good price with a little elbow grease and better than any dinky stockish VW that I have seen.

As for the spacers / adaptors I agree with what has been said. Small amount shim it with spacers, like the early 944s had 13mm (?) spacers I believe.

Later 911s, specifically Turbos, used bolt on adaptors to get some real fat *** rear ends going on.

All that being said check e-bay and some should turn up in short order. Usually about 100 for fat ones, less for just common spacers. If you must have new ones they are available though Porsche parts houses.
'96 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.5L Diesel
'99 GMC Suburban 6.5L Diesel
VolkSport Kafer Gruppe
Old May 14th 2007, 22:15

H&R sells some very nice wheels SPACERS, they have shim style and bolt on ones for the larger sizes, very good quality!
Performance products sells them.

Jonathan

Current cars:
-74 Super Beetle
-86 Vanagon Syncro
-64 sunroof bug
-73 thing
Old May 15th 2007, 07:13

I saw those! I also talked to the guys at Wheel Enhancement yesterday as well and they have some nice ones too. My be H&R as well!

Thanks!

Hazen
Old May 15th 2007, 08:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow View Post
... early 944 ... with a little elbow grease and better than any dinky stockish VW that I have seen.
H - h - hey, there! I am sitting right here and can see what you are saying!

Seriously, I like my dinky stockish TopLine brakes. I am looking to upgrade the fronts (another thread) since 70% of the braking goes on there and I want to nip all other issues in the bud once and for all, but I am going to keep the rears. I know I don't have to fiddle around with proportioning valves the way some people do.

Obviously, there are options out there like the popular 944 conversion that offer more surface contact for stopping.