GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old April 30th 2004, 00:25

Flared fenders, opinions

I have been thinking a lot about what im going to do for new fenders for my 1303, im not a vintage purest who needs to use stock fenders, im looking for somthing is fiberglass.
CCC is the ticket for quality fiber fenders from what i here.
Anyways, im fairly set of using Porsche 16" Fuchs. I have a set of four 16"/6" Fuchs right now, i was plaining on selling/trading two of them for some 16"/7" ones for the rear.
I am going to use early Porsche 944 brakes front and rear (Rears done, need parts for front setup).

I have a combo question here. First off, do you guys think Fuchs and flared fenders are a good combo? now a day i only see late model porsche wheels...ect with flared fenders so i dont have any examples of this combo. Accually for me, there was this one black 1303 with ATS wheels and flared fenders that got me hooked to the GL style way back when i was 13 (im 18 now). the wheels where deepdish 15 inch ATS wheels. it looked hot for sure, very old school, but non the less "Sick".
Also is this size combo i was looking for a good combo with flared fenders (16"/ 6"&7" Fuchs) or would it look funny with some what mid sized wheels in flared fenders, even if i spaced them out if needed to be close to the fender lip?
Does any one have examples of flares and Fuchs, super beetles or not (a 1303 would be premo)?

OR.... should i look for a different Wheel combo that works better with the flares and early 944 brakes? If its going to look to wack, then i wont hesitate to use normal wider fenders and Fuchs, its just that on some cars flares look way cool and mean, but i have seen some that are just uggly or not exicuted well. I dont really want to go with heave/expensive 17 inch rims becuase this is also a Auto-x car, aswell as a track car and daily driver for the summer months (We have snow on the ground for over 5 months of the year most winters, Thats where the Audi 4000 Quattro comes into play

So... Opinions?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Current cars:
-74 Super Beetle
-86 Vanagon Syncro
-64 sunroof bug
-73 thing
Old April 30th 2004, 00:57

If you just want the look of flared fenders I would flare them out a little. I like the look of flared fender as long as the flare isn't too large. If you stick to less than 3/4" flare so it's just noticeable I think it will look good. Anymore flare than that and I think that it looks like your car is going to flap it's wings and fly away. Anyway I think that the 3/4" flared fenders lowered on 16" fuchs that are pushed out to the lip of the fender would look bad a$$. That is just my opinion.
www.volksport.net Volksport Kfer Gruppe
Old April 30th 2004, 08:17

I think the biggest consideration with flared fenders is where the wheel/tire combo is in relation to the flare itself ... more so than what wheel is being used.
Old April 30th 2004, 13:26

1303 with flared fenders and Fuchs just looks cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1303blue.jpg (19.7 KB, 151 views)
Old May 2nd 2004, 00:22

Alrighty, so i test fitted some 6 and 7 by 16 inch fuchs today with 205 and 225 tires.
It looks like i will need a 3 inch flare in the rear and a 2 inch flare in the front.
So the question is who makes the best flared fenders? for a decent price to.

Thanks!
Jonathan

Current cars:
-74 Super Beetle
-86 Vanagon Syncro
-64 sunroof bug
-73 thing
Old May 2nd 2004, 01:48

Mark V in the US http://www.markvfiberglass.com

In Germany, Kerscher Tuning http://www.kerscher-tuning.de
or Customs Speed Parts http://www.csp-shop.de
Old May 3rd 2004, 13:25

Flared fenders from Mark V are for standard Beetles only.
Old May 3rd 2004, 16:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis
Flared fenders from Mark V are for standard Beetles only.
Sorry man, I'm looking at their website now and they have front, and rear super beetle fenders for sale, I know the rear is the same as a standard, but they do offer front super beetle fenders.
Old May 3rd 2004, 17:49

The ones by them seam to not flow as well, they have more of a lip and dont buldge out like some i have seen.
The ones on the silver GL 1303 thats featured on this site are the ones/style im looking for.
I think Kerscher has them, but those are WAY expensive (somthing like 200+ Euro each)

Thanks,
Jonathan

Current cars:
-74 Super Beetle
-86 Vanagon Syncro
-64 sunroof bug
-73 thing
Old May 3rd 2004, 21:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by super vw
Alrighty, so i test fitted some 6 and 7 by 16 inch fuchs today with 205 and 225 tires.
It looks like i will need a 3 inch flare in the rear and a 2 inch flare in the front.
So the question is who makes the best flared fenders? for a decent price to.

Thanks!
Jonathan
I don't think that you will need fenders that wide. I thought that 6" and 7" wheels would fit under the stock fenders.
Old May 3rd 2004, 23:56

almost, with the early 944 brakes it makes them stick out. the 6/6 combo works in the rear almost by about 1/2 inch the front is about the same i think.
I dont have all my parts (no 17mm ball joints) so i had to just mock up using the stock ball joints and such. i know its not real accurate, and once i get the car back on the ground i can then make a final judgment call on what wheels im going to use, and exactly what size fenders i would need.

Current cars:
-74 Super Beetle
-86 Vanagon Syncro
-64 sunroof bug
-73 thing
Old May 4th 2004, 11:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey 1972GL
Sorry man, I'm looking at their website now ...
Yep, you're right. When I did the search the first time, I didn't notice a page two with items 11-19. Although I know I want/need fiber fenders with width, I haven't decided on flares or not. Thanks for the correction.
Old May 4th 2004, 11:52

Hi Guys,
I'm not a regular poster on here but do lurk a lot. Flared fenders - I have to tell you the most awesome Bug I ever saw with flared fenders was an old Hot VW's article (or maybe it was VW Greats? - dating myself here....) - I think it was called Down Under Ground Pounder or something like that. Mind you, this was back when the Cal Look style was just getting started and you just didn't see any tricked out Bugs in any other style, at least any other "tasteful" style!
This Bug was built by a company in Australia, and the flared fenders had a fully formed lip. I mean the flare not only extended out wider, but then rolled down to have a sort of semi-vertical outer surface. Kind'a hard to explain, but the look was "it"! Can't remember if it had ATS or Porsche alloys, but the stance was low and mean. It also had a front bumber cover that extended back on the top to near the body surface, with a simple air-dam lip extending down below. On the rear, the ubiquitous whale tail - but a tasteful size, not the overbearing size of the CCC version. Custom seats and gauges inside, with a take no prisoners 2180 under the lid. This car looked right, and was set up for the curves. Porsche red on the outside, black interior. If any "old timers" here were into VWs back in the early 70's you'd probably remember this car - it was definitely unique at the time. Now That's the kind of fender flares to run!

Jeff
Old May 4th 2004, 18:58

www.eastwood.com has a fender roller. Part # 31158 and it costs $249.99 but I don't know if it will roll them out far enough.
Old May 4th 2004, 19:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS guy
This Bug was built by a company in Australia, and the flared fenders had a fully formed lip. I mean the flare not only extended out wider, but then rolled down to have a sort of semi-vertical outer surface. Kind'a hard to explain, but the look was "it"! Now That's the kind of fender flares to run!

Jeff

Like these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0581[1].jpg (29.5 KB, 116 views)

Last edited by boygenius; May 4th 2004 at 19:30.