GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old January 30th 2004, 23:11

Exellent! Thanks for following my advice. You got a spankin deal just like I did!
What brand is the linkage, and is it from a dude in arizona?
Old January 31st 2004, 03:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by craazy Cooter
Exellent! Thanks for following my advice. You got a spankin deal just like I did!
What brand is the linkage, and is it from a dude in arizona?
Yeah, i liked the deal aswell now the question is if they are going to be in good condition once they arrive :O Im sure they will be so im not to worried, but ya never know with used stuff.
The linkage and manifolds i think are just stock weber stuff. The add is on the samba. they guy is close buy to. hes in Salem, Or
Old January 31st 2004, 13:41

This is a pic of one of my 36's out of the box, roughly assembled on my new engine. You can see the two vacuum ports that you turn counter clockwise to open and connect a manometer to sync them. Only euro models have these, and also air bleed screws...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Engine side.JPG (70.2 KB, 14 views)
Old January 31st 2004, 13:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by craazy Cooter
This is a pic of one of my 36's out of the box, roughly assembled on my new engine. You can see the two vacuum ports that you turn counter clockwise to open and connect a manometer to sync them. Only euro models have these, and also air bleed screws...
So the ports are to sync them?
They do look clean BTW!

Anyways, whats a good filter to use? K&N seams to be a option used A LOT...lol so thats what im thinking

BTW here is the linkage and manifolds:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...01241559052198

So what do i do about the stock vacuum stuff when i use dual carbs... i think i have a stock distributor what is vacuum advanced (74 super beetle) do i need to get a centrifical advance distributor?

Later
Jonathan
Old January 31st 2004, 13:52

They also come with these levers on the fan shroud side of the carb body that are an enrichment circuit that you attatch a pushpull cable to, like chokes, only without the plates. The alfa guy supplies these blockoff plates but no gaskets. I made mine from some simple grey gasket paper. Easy! Also there's this little black piston thing protruding from the top of the carbs. You have to take it out and use a dremel tool to cut it flush with the top, otherwise you can't mount the linkage plates ans filter bases. As for the studs that come with the carbs, they are too long, and I used 20mm long button head hex socket bolts inside the air cleaner to hold down the plates. Hope this helps. :agree:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carbies.JPG (64.9 KB, 11 views)
Old January 31st 2004, 13:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by super vw
So the ports are to sync them?
They do look clean BTW!

Anyways, whats a good filter to use? K&N seams to be a option used A LOT...lol so thats what im thinking

BTW here is the linkage and manifolds:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...01241559052198

So what do i do about the stock vacuum stuff when i use dual carbs... i think i have a stock distributor what is vacuum advanced (74 super beetle) do i need to get a centrifical advance distributor?

Later
Jonathan
That's the exact same kit that I have! Cool! I It is exellent quality.
The left carb you see in the first picture has a vacuum port for the distributer, so hook it up to that. The right carb has none. Use a good quality cotton gauze air filter with k&n oil. Every few weeks pull out a filter and look through it form the inside to the sky and look for pin holes. if you see hundreds of bright white pinholes of light shining through, replace them. When the carbs cough they blow the cotton out more with each cough. Also fuel reversion in the carbs washes oil out of the filter down into the filter base. Re oil often. Probably once a month.

Last edited by craazy Cooter; January 31st 2004 at 14:04.