GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Clubs From Around The World > VolkSport Käfer Gruppe

Old February 24th 2004, 09:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by southeastvw
Good to see it is coming right along Zen!
I WANT to see that Beetle at the show, never know what "might" happen. Both Magazines will be there you know

YOU CAN DO IT!
well there is plenty of incentive between having the opportunity to see what power i can get to the ground, hitting the first show in it and having both mags there. i just wish it would be REALLY complete for you guys. there will be a few little things that won't be done like the rear speaker box and other small things. but that's how it always goes.

my biggest challenge has been and still is getting the right pieces and parts together. i just had another set back last night. at least one of the CVs i just bought is shot. the boot was ripped and the bearings have gouged the star and shell. i still have to clean the other 3 to see what i have there.

i'm at it every hour i can though. :agree:

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old February 24th 2004, 13:32

well, found a shop to put a heli-coil in the spindle. not what i prefer to do, but seems no one around here welds cast iron and i really didn't want to have to go to a larger size bolt and reem the caliper too.

then, just to be consistent with my project, he calls me in an hour and already has it done, but dispite leaving on of the caliper bolts with him, he puts in a 1.75 pitch (should be 1.5) because "that's all he has" and never checked the bolt. so much for consistent hardware. i hate one-offs.

Old February 28th 2004, 00:11

went to GAD today and got my replacement axles. haven't broken them down yet. i did get some 33 splined axles though so i should have some CV options now.

rear brakes are on. just need shocks and axles in now. front would be done had i remember to get a bearing seal. engine wiring will be done tonight and just have to deadhead the rest in the front. headlights are in and work (parking lights don't, have to find that wire somewhere). oil lines are done (redone with sealant i should say) sans the ones on the case til i know where the header is going. header should go in tomorrow. and starting the bad boy sometime this weekend. wait til my new neighborhood hears that BAS without mufflers.

bought a fire extiguisher!

Old February 28th 2004, 08:09

I cant wait to hear it....

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old February 28th 2004, 08:55
Administrator

Me either :agree: :agree:
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old February 28th 2004, 22:54

Me neither! Hope to see that Bad Boy next Saturday! You can do it!
www.hotvws.com
Old February 29th 2004, 23:20

vrmmm...bmmm...bmmm...bmmm...bmmm...bmmm

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!

got the header installed today. i had to clearance a sizeable amount of my apron which no one else i know has had to do. could be signs of a wreck in the back, but see no indications any other place. but that was definitely a factor in the header being so difficult before.

got a little helping hand from an engine builder who happened to be in the neighborhood. don't know many willing to do house calls. (and i am sure that was not setting any precedence) it cut my time down dramatically though.

filled with fluids. checked for pressure. cranked it and...(see top of message).

one thing worthy of noting. carbon fiber is conductive. what does this mean to me? if you have a terminal block with hots screwed to c/f even on rubber mounts...and a terminal block of grounds screwed to c/f even on rubber mounts...they find their way through the screws to each other due to the carbon and tend to make smoke and a nice burning smell. luckily it was caught quickly and no real damage (just some brownish looking c/f and melted rubber mounts). so what do we learn from this boys and girls? don't screw terminal blocks directly to c/f...bad things happen. told you it was smart to pick up that fire ext. didn't need it though luckily.

also got it back down on all fours. bad news there is i get to reindex the rear. i set the plates one click below the lower stop, but the car is about on the ground and killer camber / \. i will get some pics. best guess is one click on the inside and one on the out should fix it. downside to 944 suspension is the arms have to come out to deal with the spring plates.

i also have to extend my brake pushrod. i am at the end of the threads and still have about 1" travel. has anyone else experienced this? we will see what bias looks like. hopefully good as i have no more time for errors and fixes to make it to Dyno Day this weekend.

sorry for the length.

Old March 1st 2004, 03:10
Administrator

Make a new brake rod from a long bolt(cut the head offand round it with a grinder). You will still be able to use a jam nut.
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old March 1st 2004, 08:09

i mentioned that to jake while he was over and he warned heavily against that due to wear and breaking. i figure a grade 8 bolt would be solid enough, but he didn't feel it would. he recommended welding onto the existing rod and reshaping. i have no clue. thoughts?

Old March 1st 2004, 09:16

I would think a correct size socket head cap bolt that was cut down would be okay, those are pretty hard and come in about any size you could want.
948 project
Old March 1st 2004, 09:36
Administrator

I would think a grade 8 would work, remeber that 8.8 metric is a grade 5 SAE and a 10.0 is a grade 8 SAE. You will have to get it very round and smooth. I would cut it off with the ziz-wheel and then put you drill in a vice and chuck the bolt in it and use the drill as a lathe(locked at a medium speed) and round it with a file then smooth it with sandpaper.
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old March 1st 2004, 14:34

Have you tried adjusting the spring plates. They are supposed to be adjustable for ride height aren't they.

I would go with a high grade bolt for now and replace it later if it bothers you.
www.volksport.net Volksport Kfer Gruppe
Old March 1st 2004, 14:39

will look into those bolt options. i can run it as is for now. still plenty of pedal.

genius, the spring plates aren't going to make up this difference. will take some pics when i get home. i now have dropped spindles on the front and it is about 2" higher than the rear. my header is about 2" off the ground. i was WAY off. seems stock preload would have been the way to go. best guess anyway...and it better be right since i only have time for one more crack at this.

Old March 1st 2004, 14:52

Do you have beetle torsion bars or the thicker 944 torsion bars???
www.volksport.net Volksport Kfer Gruppe
Old March 1st 2004, 20:44

beetle torsion bars. never heard of them not working for people so didn't see any reason to change. have you heard of issues? i will do another search in a minute to check. i only had the plates indexed one click below the stop. hardly any pre-load.

pics never seem to do justice to angles. here are two shots of it. i already have the right side back off. just trying to decide how much i should move it. i forget what each click gives you (my second search to do). also in new light it looks like the left is defintely lower than the right. so probably an extra click there.

the camber is obviously way off.