GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old August 15th 2006, 22:49

2.5 lt Hybrid, ala scooby

Well as some may know I blew my 2002 Wrx motor up at Watkins a few weeks ago trying to play with the BMW Club..

After a few $$ the car is up and running, picture enclosed still in track trim plus baby seat

I think I am about to get to the root cause for the seizing of the motor. After removing both heads (which were fine), I have narrowed it down to a seized crank bearing.

Since I have a pair of stock wrx turbo heads and essentially a complete motor laying around, I started think... Originally I was going to use a RS 2.5 Phase I or II not sure short block with some 2.2 lt heads to make a hybrid, but after reading about a fellow out in TN, I have changed my mind.

Funding permitting, since I am still in the dog house with the wife, and after I get the scooby retuned, it has to go she wants a Mini Conv.. but at least I put my 2 cents in for S/C and 6 speed. Funding perimitting will determine progress.

After a little research and a few phone calls, I found out that you can mate my wrx turbo heads to the N/A short block with no problem.. Compression will be a tad high, but depending on money will try to find some STI take off pistons and rods... to get the compression down a little.. Otherwise run it mildly tuned with high compression till it blows..

Well we will see where this goes.. Learned alot about my wrx motor, including what a pain those darn Cam Gear Bolts can be.. Broke a few things in the process, but overall happy, and it has been quite theraputic.. in crazy sort of way..

Here are some pics of the donor, parts motor and testing fitting on RS motor..
Plans for now call for low budget set up.. so most likely keep the short block together, wrx heads, wrx cams, TD-04 turbo.. and we will go from there.. Hopefully I don't kill the 914 tranny that I am rebuilding.. worst case if the 2.0 liter is salvagable then may rethink and use it, but the low end torque from a 2.5 is something to be scared of..

Ok, time to hit the rack.. and hopefully get some time this week to split the case and see how many crank bearings are seized and if anything is salvagable.. If anyone has experience or thoughts on dealing with a seized crank bearing chime in, if not I need to hit the nabisco forum for help.. May look into some race bearing if I get some funds and split the cases..

Take care
Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Donor Vehicle.JPG (72.5 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg To be split short block.JPG (77.1 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Pile of Junk wrx and rs parts.JPG (83.5 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg RS phase I or II.JPG (63.3 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Misc wrx motor parts and bad turbo.JPG (73.8 KB, 61 views)
Tele: 973 204-5463

Last edited by Bug@5speed(US); August 15th 2006 at 22:54.