GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old September 4th 2010, 15:18

Went for a quick jaunt this morning with a friend manning the laptop from the passenger seat and got some good logs (scary logs too). I'm still sifting through it but suffice to say 65F ambient, 130F-170F under moderate (10-15 psi) 180F-200F under heavy boost (15-24psi). I see a water/air intercooler in my very near future. The good news is that even at 24psi/6.5k rpm injector duty cycle was around 84% so I think the 750cc were perfectly sized. I'm really impressed that the water injection keeps detonation at bay and cools the heads effectively with intake temps like these.
Old September 6th 2010, 16:42

Got a little work in this weekend even though I intended to relax. Funny how that works out. I pulled the bumper out of storage to see how it would fit, then made a few measurements and next this you know I've got a cutting disc on the grinder... Then this happened

This is a very preliminary setup but I think it gets the point across. I went with the ronal spoiler because I has a flat bottom and a good clean profile. I feel bad for cutting it up but I hadn't seen anything else that would do. I widened the bumper 10" and the ronal spoiler by 13" to get the perfect fitment. I'll fill in most of the hole in the spoiler leaving an opening for the air/water radiator. Next it will get a splitter/front under tray which will support the air dam and give it a lot more strength. Eventually I want to use this setup to make a master to pull a one piece bumper/air dam from so spares are easy to make.
Old September 7th 2010, 09:13

Hi

I thought you were showing a photo of your car with a roof rack at 1st. When I read further I realized my mistake

Steve
Old September 7th 2010, 11:03

I thought he was going to talk about the no headlight ring look
Old September 8th 2010, 02:44

Putting the FAT back in "Fat Chick"!
Old September 8th 2010, 07:20

Looking good and functional there!
I do hope your ground clearence is enough; it does work better that low otot
Let us know how the difference feels with/without the air dam when you have finished it. I have an idea already tho
Old September 8th 2010, 12:31

I'm not sure if the headlights will stay or not since this is a race car first and foremost. I may just put aluminum discs in place to eliminate a couple pounds of glass.

I will definitely need to raise her up in the front at least 1-1.5" because the down force from the air dam and splitter will pull it back down at least that much. Talking to a few US touring car teams, I might need to swap in heavier springs to compensate as well.

I've learned a few more aero tricks that I'm going to try and implement on the car before the race season kicks off next year. I've also got a friend who's willing to do some paint/body work for me so hopefully that happens in the next month or so.
Old September 28th 2010, 11:32

First race in the race car! She's fast, but had grip problems up front and I didn't realize why until I got home. I was trying to chase down the buggies and got within 2 seconds of them on a short technical course. I think 1 second of that is suspension (it wasn't anywhere near dialed in) and 1 second of that is tires (they are on real slicks and I'm on grooved semi-slicks).

I spent the entire autox run in first gear, topping out at 52mph when bouncing on the rev limiter. During the 4th run I hit 24psi max but built so much case pressure it blew out the 1-2 valve cover gasket. Even though there was no rear sway bar there was much more body roll than I expected. I may do some more trimming down (doors especially) and corner weigh the car again, to make sure my springs aren't too soft.

On the way home, about a half mile from my house, the rear passenger lower shock mount broke with a loud bang. The bolt just sheered in half. I know of dozens of 944 track cars using these racers edge bolts so I didn't expect mine to fail. After looking at the pics I'm pretty sure I was bottomed out on the rear coilovers, which would explain the excessive understeer I saw, and all that force went into the bolt.

Now for the good stuff

I was only able to get 1 video, because I thought the camera was on during the other runs and it wasn't :P This was my quickest run, finishing in 58.5.

http://vimeo.com/15360537
Old September 28th 2010, 13:28

hi love the car

cheers andy
Old September 28th 2010, 22:07

Wow,

Never seen any of those Racer's Edge bolts break..

Looking good BTW..
VR
ALex
Tele: 973 204-5463
Old September 29th 2010, 03:04

Cool report! Thanks!
Good pics, but they do show you need more sway bar and/or more spring for a racer imo. I agree, it must have bottomend out and hammering the bolt. Can't you get some snubbers mounted somehow (inside the shock or in the original location)?

What rear coil-overs did you use there in the rear again?
Tnx,
Walter
Old September 29th 2010, 11:43

The biggest front bar I've found is a 7/8" I'm not sure if there is anything larger. I have an 18mm rear 944 bar to go in but I didn't want to add it until the springs were close to final. I honestly didn't expect the rears to bottom out because the general consensus was the rear springs were much to stiff. Looking at the pics I thought even the fronts were overkill but they're a bit too soft as well.

Right now the springs are 300# front and 550# rear and I think I might add 50% to that and run 450# front and slightly more 900# rear. I talked to a porsche racer at a track day and his car weighed in at 2200# and he was using 1000# front and 1350# rear! The same porsche was also on 17x11 front and 17x13 rear wheels w/ slicks.

The rear shocks are QA1 single adjustables, which I'll swap out for double adjustables, and put the singles on the street bug. I'll have to find some snubbers that fit in the shocks to hopefully prevent them from bottoming out.
Old September 29th 2010, 14:45

I agree I haven't seen ever more then 7/8" front sway bar.
The spring upgrade steps you plan are very large! I think I have 300 front too and they could be more too, but I was more thinking of 350 as a first upgrade... you made me doubt, so very curious what your experience will be as I am not ready for that yet.
Maybe the porche guy had 1000 front for both springs together haha!

Tnx for the infos.
Old September 30th 2010, 08:47

I can't believe that you need such high spring poundages!? The video and the pictures don't give the impression of a soft suspension. Have you checked the tyre temps? If so, are they fairly even across the tread? From the temps you should be able to see if the suspension s working correctly. How much stroke do you have on the QA1s? They should be set for approx 40% up and 60% down and the springs should be coil bound (without bumpstops) before you hit the top of the stroke.
You can get poly bumpstops in all configurations and I would invest in those because relying on coil binding is not to be encouraged.
The roll does not look exaggerated but are you losing traction anywhere?
As you go higher with the spring rates you will need to valve the dampers to match. I much prefer softer springs/stiffer dampers rather than the otherway around.
Old September 30th 2010, 13:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble View Post
The rear shocks are QA1 single adjustables, which I'll swap out for double adjustables, and put the singles on the street bug. I'll have to find some snubbers that fit in the shocks to hopefully prevent them from bottoming out.
As I recall QA1 actually sells snubbers that go onto the shaft. That's what I've got up front on mine.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S