GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old March 24th 2005, 14:49

My German look revamp - progress report and pictures....

Been a busy bunny the last 2 days.

wirebrushed under both wheel arches, treated a few little bits of rust and painted both under arches (will be re waxoyl'd when the wings are back on), painted various bits under the car, replaced spring plate covers (both were quite rotten), rewired lots of the engine bay (didnt like the layout of the wires or the braiding used), wirebrushed passenger footwell, kurust'd a few little patches and painted it all, relocated the MSD 6AL to under the rear seat on standoff's, wired it up, filled a few bits of exterior bodywork that I am sorting, sanded and refilled (few little air bubbles). Built the seat brackets and started measuring up where the new seats will need to go...

Previous to that I have taken the existing engine and gearbox out and sold them to make way for the new powerplant.. 2270 T4 from Jake

There has been talk of the need for rear disks, uprated front disks and I have been eyeballing some bigger wheels....

Cya,
Sam C
Raby 2270, B spec gearbox, Lots of carbon fibre, Wolfrace Octane Black 17x7.5, Goodyear Eagle F1's, Kerscher suspension front and rear, kamei airdam in carbon, corbeau seats, momo millunium steering wheel.
CDT eurosport 6.5 front speakers, IDMAX 12D2 sub, rockford old school amps.
Old March 25th 2005, 00:49

looking pretty good.. i thought those were some wide wheels.. then i saw you wanted to go WIDER...

did you make a removable rear clip or is that just open?
Old March 25th 2005, 06:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakarottt
looking pretty good.. i thought those were some wide wheels.. then i saw you wanted to go WIDER...

did you make a removable rear clip or is that just open?

Wheels will fit with no issue. Have done my maths and the offset is spot on...

They are looking quite likely.

Rear clip is fully removable, makes life much easier when playing engines Taking the old engine and gearbox out was so easy because of the removable rear.

Cya,
Sam C
Raby 2270, B spec gearbox, Lots of carbon fibre, Wolfrace Octane Black 17x7.5, Goodyear Eagle F1's, Kerscher suspension front and rear, kamei airdam in carbon, corbeau seats, momo millunium steering wheel.
Old March 25th 2005, 08:40

Hi Sam,
What gearbox will you be running and what bhp?

I'm trying to work out what box to use with 260bhp of WRX RA power

Rich
Old March 25th 2005, 11:31

Looking good Sam. Feels good to freshen up, huh? Nice seats and wheels.

Just wondering how you routed the ignition box trigger wire from distributor to the uder the rear seat... After reading the instructions that came with mine, I routed the trigger wire seperate from the high voltage coil +/- wires. I ran the trigger wire through the firewall, under the luggage compartment, and through the rear bulkhead to under the rear seat. The coil wires go through the left rear quarter panel passage. Appearantly, the coil wires can cross-talk over to the trigger wire and cause miss-fires. I don't know if this is a reality, but thought I would mention it.

I see you have a 3-bar Kafer brace, but have you welded the frame horn seams and added a intermediate trans mount? RAT T4 torque can wreck the gearbox without support...
Old March 26th 2005, 05:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricola
Hi Sam,
What gearbox will you be running and what bhp?
I'm trying to work out what box to use with 260bhp of WRX RA power
Rich
I have a Raby B transmission fitted, will be about 150-160bhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K.
Looking good Sam. Feels good to freshen up, huh? Nice seats and wheels.

Just wondering how you routed the ignition box trigger wire from distributor to the uder the rear seat... After reading the instructions that came with mine, I routed the trigger wire seperate from the high voltage coil +/- wires. I ran the trigger wire through the firewall, under the luggage compartment, and through the rear bulkhead to under the rear seat. The coil wires go through the left rear quarter panel passage. Appearantly, the coil wires can cross-talk over to the trigger wire and cause miss-fires. I don't know if this is a reality, but thought I would mention it.

I see you have a 3-bar Kafer brace, but have you welded the frame horn seams and added a intermediate trans mount? RAT T4 torque can wreck the gearbox without support...
Cheers Bill, feels really good to freshen up and finally do some of the things I have been planning for a while.
Currently the wires are all routed together from under the rear seat through the bulkhead thats under there too, up under the parcelshelf and through another grommet into the engine bay.. After you have said it may cause crosstalk I will be rerouting and using some braided stuff I have to surroud the wires, I will then earth the braid. This should remove most of the risk of crosstalk.

The 3 bar system stiffens the rear end up enormously, I can stand on the end of the frame horns and bounce up and down the gearbox WONT move seperatly to the car.... And I am not the smallest of people.. I have been looking at adding the two additional bars to turn the 3 bar into a 5 bar system, and I think I will be getting the intermediate mount for the gearbox too... Perhaps I could tie that into the brace bars too and have myself a 7 bar system!

Anyways, got to go... Got uprated antirollbars to fit today, along with a small mountain of urethane goodies! Will be taking more pictures, so if theres anything good in there I will stick them up here later

Cya,
Sam C
Old March 26th 2005, 13:57

Todays work:

Bolted passenger seat in (work out where it needs to mount first, mark it, drill, bolt it down). Need to fit some reinforced box section, weld it in and bolt the seats through that, they are a little too low and the floor isnt very strong...
Removed about 8ft of unused wiring!
Fitted some carbon bits to the dashboard that I have had for a while.
Worked out which bits of the antiroll bars are for the front, and which are for the rear.
Removed a 52mm tacho and 52mm cylinder head temp gauge. Cyl head temp is now mounted in the dash.

Tomorrow I should be removing the fuel tank and adjusting the play out of the steering box... It was a NOS one and has done 250 miles or so since I fitted it, need to just tighten it up a touch.
Bit of wiring for cyl head temp gauge, might fit up one of the anti roll bars too

I also managed to get a bit of a sun tan, sitting out in the blazing sun all day working on the car. Successful day all round!

Cya,
Sam C

Last edited by samcat; March 26th 2005 at 14:06.
Old March 26th 2005, 16:42

Awesome looking dash!!
Great job as usual! :agree:
Old March 26th 2005, 20:52
Administrator

Very nice Sam. A Raby 2270/trans will be a nice kick in the shorts. A nice upgrade on seats, suspension and wheels too. I bet you are pumped up,,,,,,, I would be. :agree:
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old March 26th 2005, 21:25

looking good Sam....cant wait to see when its done

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old March 27th 2005, 16:40

Ok, Done a small load of rewiring behind the dashboard today... Managed to remove several metres of unneeded/overcomplicated wiring! Took a while as I was checking where each wire went to/from as I was doing it. Lot less wiring and its all now nicely tie-wrapped together. Still more to do behind there, but I manged to wire up all the new dashboard bits (moved gauge, extra warning lights and the two switches).
No pictures as I forgot my camera! Doh!

Here's some pictures from a few days ago, showing the work I am doing on the front wing... was involved in a crash a few years ago and the front wing still had crazing in the gelcoat from that... So I followed EVERY crack with a screwdriver to open it up enough to get filler in there... Its now almost flat and ready for paint. Theres other bodywork going on with the outside, as any imperfections are being removed and made good.

Also you can see where I shifted the MSD to, under the rear seat. Black paint was still wet at this point!

More to do tomorrow, and I will remember my camera! Then its back to work on tues Good job we are now on BST so get an extra hour of light each evening (clocks go forward 1hr).. Gives me light to do work on the car when I finish work!

Going to use this thread as a sort of project log

Cya,
Sam C
Old March 28th 2005, 17:31

Busy day today, got plenty done!

First off pics of yesterdays work...

All this wire:

Was behind here:

Check out the original colour. This was previously a rats nest of wiring, with some strage and unneccessary wiring thrown in for good measure... found one switch where all the terminals were connected to different earths... no wonder it never did anything!

Heres the carbon glovebox stereo liner I made:

Last edited by samcat; March 28th 2005 at 17:39.
Old March 28th 2005, 17:32

Today I finished up some wiring, started pulling the electric windows wiring apart so I can reposition the brain and rerun the wiring in a far tidier way.
Then we started hunting down the play in the steering, tried the adjuster on the box and it didnt make any difference, took the wheel apart to check the big nut and that was fine, then took the fueltank out and checked the universal joints... One of them was not locking in properly, so replaced it with a spare I had lying around, works perfectly again!

Under the fuel tank, all nicely wax-oyl'd. It was the Universale joint in this picture that was the cause of all my problems, so replaced with a spare one I had.

New fuel filler hose, old one was of unknown age and didnt feel like it was in great condition so I replaced it:

Also moved the fuel pump to a new home, to allow easier access to the steering box adjuster.

Old location, You can see the cap over the steering box right below it:

New location allows far better access, and is a far nicer shape for the fuel hose.

Got to go back to work tomorrow, wont be working on the car in the evening... May have some news on the engine delivery though.. Fingers crossed.

Cya,
Sam C

Last edited by samcat; March 28th 2005 at 17:39.
Old March 29th 2005, 02:49

nice work, I must say that your car was my inspriation to go GL. I have one question though. with your stereo in the glovebox, how do you unlock the trunk?
Old March 29th 2005, 04:20

T handle behind the gauges in the dash!

Simply unscrew the gauges and pull the handle
It will be on a solenoid too shortly, so I can do it by flicking a switch then pushing a button.

CYa,
Sam C