GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old April 29th 2008, 21:52
Gosterman

help and advice needed with project, newbie

hi guys iam new here need some help and advice on this conversion, which when done will get me shot my names Mark Hopley have a company called gingersbuses
www.gingersbuses.co.uk.
I am in a dilema have an old girl which i have some mad ideas for, my Barndoor panel... Ex KcW Silver Bullet. Been around awhile. Its a ****ta to drive been straight axled, narrowed beam. Slammed, just not a pleasent driving experience, as should be.... to a degree.
To justify keeping her i need to transform her, to daily driver status, well its the plan.
So far i ve got top of the list, steering rack and clutch as its so narrow the shorter tie rod is so short and at such an angle its firstly interferes with the clutch cable badly, also its srubbed out 2 new 50 profile polenza tyres in less than 400 miles..
second job is IRS, have a complete rear sub frame of an aircooled type 3 for that.....
So Iam thinking subaru conversion, kinda 2 ltr imprezza sport engine.
What Can I do people . Was thinkin cant do it to a barndoor, wont cut any bodywork, but no issues with running gear. I was an original aircooled die hard, was going with a 2.4 fuel injected type 4, but lets look at the sensible reliable alternative, with an AT beetle box and others need to be sensible and keep cost down as much as possible any help please.
As the rest of the plans will get this bus talked about forever lol and me hung an be great to have a bit of reliable water in her too.
Any help and constructive ideas please, get me motivated to do it
All help will be gratefully recieved, not a person who takes all the credit
i tell of and where my inspiration has come from
cheers mark

still doin me rack conversion, not far off now
Ive bought an engine which is a EJ 2.2 from a automatic legacy estate
done just over 95,000 miles.
Was gonna mount rad in between chassis rails, somethin bigger (landrover or similar, jaguar maybe) any advice again.
Need advice on transmissions I have in the loft 5 tansmissions, 2 a.t trans,
2 a.h and a.m, ruinning on 15" rims, 185 x 15 rear an 155x 15 front (slams up front)
Need to keep the cost sensible as Iam at the tail end of a messy divorce.
so was lookin at the A.T for cuising, not saying it wont get alittle bit of stick/acceleration but when rollin and in gear, no launchin it, after crusing at sensible speed 80 ish, mid range and nice top end. running 15 inch wheels
what do u guys think....
Also best kit for the conversion.... ideas again
Again help on mods to get her going better, to help was going to dump the cat, power steering pump, aircon pump (not sure it aircon is on it)
custome exhaust and K&n type induction kit, will this increase overall H.P
If so an ideas ish on what she'll produce and if its worth it or any tweeks to boost her, Totally green on the subaru conversions and wanna kinda help fuse the interest, if iam not shot.. would really apreciate any constructive help. Richard at rjes has been great so far and a couple others on vwkd but i get side tracked need to get this nailed in before i go onto other brainwaves.

The 091 trans was an option with type2 split nose cone but its proving too pricey and i dont wanna be cutting bodywork to get in 091, dont mind adding mods but not chopping out too much....
so please help guys its sendin me round the bend

cheers mark hopley

Last edited by gin23deluxe; April 29th 2008 at 22:00.