GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old March 10th 2011, 08:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Turbobug View Post
Cool! Am I reading this correctly? 4703rpm and the throttleposition is WOT / 100%?
Correct!
Quote:
The other 2 graphs are going downwards after that except the throttle-it remained opened?
No, you have to read it from right to left: the car ' drives' from the right to the left, then you see that the rpm is climbing and boost is rising, all under WOT till I take my foot off.
Hope that will make things more clearly?
Quote:
Sorry...I´m still learning how to read these things.Or ist that just what the peak was?
The vertical line is just a point in time I choose in this example to let the values show. At 280 kPa (1,8 bar or 26,5 psi) boost the wastegate begins to open as boost gradually climbs less from there on. That was about 55 or 60% wastegate duty cycle (not shown or logged). Boost then rises a little further to 1,9 bar (28 psi) but you see the boost control taking boost out and adding it very quickly. Thats the effect of the EBC in action and explains the wavy line at that point onwards.
Hope this helps a bit?
Old March 10th 2011, 10:16

Quote:
No, you have to read it from right to left: the car ' drives' from the right to the left, then you see that the rpm is climbing and boost is rising, all under WOT till I take my foot off.
Ok now I understand reading from right to left and the vertical line being your chosen point of reference, thanks! Now it makes sense How were your temps and afr at 1.9 bar?
Old March 10th 2011, 15:21

I'm curious to see temps too and turbo response at lower rpms 3k-4.5k (when it starts spooling to max boost). I have to remember to read your logs right to left (backwards btw ) is that a "feature" or an option with your ecu?

Other than that it looks good, you've got me looking at the bw turbos now, specifically the EFR 8374 with a 87mm turbine and .90 a/r for my 2165cc @ 25psi (current boost limit w/o intercooling).
Old March 10th 2011, 16:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Turbobug View Post
How were your temps and afr at 1.9 bar?
Dude! What do you think is going on in a bug at 1.9 bar boost and 5K rpm on a public highway (german Autobahn)?
I was lucky to check the boost gauge and notice that too high setting at all , let alone watch other gauges

The log direction is stock and non changable...It constantly adds log info to the left, so everything shifts to the right as the log info builds.
Its not that strange if your used to it I guess

I agree, the new high tech BW EFR (engineered for racing) turbo's are the shiznizz! The EFR 8374 would have been my choise as well. Pity the twin-scroll version is not due untill a few months, so we have to wait for real-life results. I think the ultimate hp that that one supports might be close to mine. So, its plenty probably
Old March 11th 2011, 10:56

Wally,

With your DTA are you running it with MAP as the load for the main fuelling/ignition maps or TPS with MAP multiplication?

Cheers
Paul
Old March 11th 2011, 11:14

Paul,
I have only ever ran TPS.
Now with the turbo motor I use an additional map-sensor for fuel and timing compensation when under boost.
Old March 11th 2011, 13:59

Thanks for that!

A friend is switching from an E48 to a S60 on his turbo bug and is currently using TPS and were weren't sure whether to switch to MAP as load instead of TPS. We will stay with TPS
Old March 12th 2011, 06:40

Quote:
Dude! What do you think is going on in a bug at 1.9 bar boost and 5K rpm on a public highway (german Autobahn)?
I was lucky to check the boost gauge and notice that too high setting at all , let alone watch other gauges
LOL...I meant the log files Or is that not recorded? You must overcome your fears young Padawan and drive on the autobahn every day..
Old March 12th 2011, 09:52

Ah! No, those temps are both measured with a thermocouple and the ecu doesn't have the ability to register those. Unless you have an expensive adapter box...

Today was a dyno day, but on the way there, I had almost no boost anymore. Engine runs very well, but no boost
I checked and even removed parts of the intake and downpipe (turbo spins fine, no play), but couldn't find a leak or anything, so I returned home. Still no clue as what the cause is.
Old March 12th 2011, 15:13

I wondered about the machining on the turbine space, the gap around the wheel. Is it possible that one of the faces needs to be machined more to tighten up the seal around the wheel?

I am not a turbo guy per se, but it looked like you just added a larger housing to your existing piece, and I wondered if maybe they needed to be matched somehow?

Lame question, but I think you might understand what I'm thinking. It's not like you to do something wrong, and the engine still runs so it's not like you left a rag in there or something, but low boost could be that the air is not being channeled well around the turbine wheel to create boost? Just a thought.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old March 12th 2011, 16:01

I understand your question and its a very valid one. This extra turbine house is however meant for a small series of same-size frames.
Most turbo's can be ordered with a variety of turbine A/R's so they all have the same 'form' so to speak.

After some wrenching today it turned out I had an exhaust leak from the complex part where I made the twin exits into one for the wastegate.
I have welded most of it shut now (saw some black traces) and had full boost again Not the same respons I had on my trip with this housing to germany last week, but close enough. Maybe I missed a spot, will have to look lateron some more into it.
Pfft..
Old March 13th 2011, 13:59

Specially for Sandeep, my compensation for removing one side of the Cupstrebe as it was in the way of the turbo (inlet):

Old March 14th 2011, 02:07

Glad to hear it wasn't a problem with your turbo. It's strange that you had no boost though, sounds like that leak was not that small?
Old March 17th 2011, 15:59

Luck and badluck all in one...

This was the perpertrader that made he resonance and had the turbo spool 250 rpm later then before: A piece of the divertor wall I had welded in there broken off and got loose:

Turbo wheel looks fine and not hit ops:
Old March 18th 2011, 04:26

that was a lucky escape, not worth thinking about the damage it could of cuased.