GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Off Topic

Old April 20th 2009, 14:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO_H2O View Post
There are alot of people from this GermanLook community that paid or rather donated far larger sums of money to "keep this site up". What is or was "Superman's plan" for them? I think that was a part of why he first "offered" to give everything (everything but the domain name that HE SAID always belonged to him) back to (1st) Zen, (2nd) me then Sandeep. If someone, anyone could have put Humpty Dumpty back together again, it would clear him of that obligation. But he did not care were the forums/site was rebuilt at first. He only made the offer to hoast it on his server under "his domain name" later in the game. He has still not deleted the thread in question or recanted his remarks. Hell he still has not removed the link to my webste from "his" sorry landing page on the .com site.
I think this thread should be linked at the thread in question so that the people over there can see what realy happened. Or better yet. He should wipe out that thread, apologise for slandering the people over here and offer to square up with everyone who donated funds to keep the germanlook site up and running. If he will do that, I vote we will wipe this thread out like it never happened. That would start the healing. Could you ask him if he will do that and let us know what his answer is?

I will ask him about all this as soon as he gets back.
Old April 20th 2009, 18:26
Administrator

Please do. Could you also ask him why that link to my website is still on his damn landing page. I am realy sick of that.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old April 20th 2009, 18:45

He took some time off and will be back soon. As soon as he is back I will address all of the issues with him including your link.
Old April 20th 2009, 19:50
Administrator

Thank you. We will be waiting to hear from him or you.
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old April 21st 2009, 15:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO_H2O View Post
I find this disturbing and will relay the facts as I know them.
I joined the original Germanlook site when if spun off of the Eurolook section of STF. I only recall Alex and Sandeep as the builders and admin staff of the site. I remember when life changes created the need for Alex and Sandeep to pass the site on to someone else. Zen stepped up to take the lead roll and cary the site on. The domain name registration was passed from Alex to Zen. Superman's name was not listed in that domain registration nor was he a part of that transaction. Years later family, life and work teamed up on Zen and he needed to hand the wheel to someone else as he did not have the time to dedicate to the site. Superman stepped in and the site admin and domain registration was passed to him. Many here know what happened to the site under Superman's watch. The site suffered several outages, the main landing page went down and never came back. All of the tech articles, galleries, member galleries, and links were dead and only the forums were reactivated. Then sometime after the first of the year the site went down again. Sometime later we were treated to a germanlook.com page the stated it would be an online store selling struts and other performance parts geared toward the Germanlook tunning crowd. There was no talk of the forums or main site content on that page. Threads on the Eurolook section of STF spured Superman to first contact Zen in an attempt to give the forums back or get Zen to fix them. Zen did not have the time to put the forums back togehter for Superman given the fact the work and family would not allow the time needed and germanlook.com by then was veiwed as damaged goods. Superman then called me and offered to turn over everything but the domain name germanlook.com so that I could get the forums back up and stop people from bashing him. I told him that I was not an IT guy and know nothing about building a forum site. Hell I don't know the difference between http and hmfic. It seemed to me at the time that Superman's reason to step into the admin roll at germanlook.com has to get control of the domain name.
A few calls from Superman later, he saw the Sandeep was ready to take his old backup, get a domain name and rebuild the site. He asked me to contact Sandeep and ask him if he would take the database and mainsite information and rebuild the site but again would not give up the domain name germanlook.com. Superman said that the domain name was his but the content of the forums and the site belong to the community that created it. Superman gave me a username and password for Sandeep to retreive the files needed. He then later called be back and said the the site COULD be hoasted on his (Superman's) server at the Germanlook.com domain name. By this time I had already contacted Sandeep and gave him the username and password and he downloaded the files and started to see what was needed to get them working. I told Sandeep that the site could be hoasted with Superman at germanlook.com. We talked with Zen, factored in the comments from all of the people (from the germanlook comunity) who had emailed us after reading the thread on STF and decided that given the history of the site while under Superman's watch and while living on his server, it would be best to hoast it on one of zenwebservices plans and secure a new domain name. I tried to call Superman and inform him of our plans but all of my calls went directly to a voicmail box that was not taking mesages at that time. Sandeep continued to repair the database and secured a hoasting plan to upload it to. I secured the domain name germanlook.net and soon after Sandeep had the forums up and running.
Superman called me one day later (Wed. April 14th) while I was sleeping (I work the midnight shift) and left a voicemail stating that he was glad the forums back up and that was all he wanted all along. There were some other personal comments that I will keep to myself but that was the content of the voicmail. I again tried to call him back but got the same inactive voicmail box.
Then I get a link to this thread on SBO. I knew better than to waste my time posting this on SBO only to have him delete it. I can't beleive that he clings to his statment that germanlook was created by him when we all know who built it, He also told me that the domain name germanlook.com always belonged to him when I know that it was controlled by Alex and then Zen before Superman. I also can't believe he now says the forums/site were hi-jacked after he said the site content belongs to the community that built and used it and he gave us the username and password to get the files to rebuild it. I don't know how many times he told me the he has a degree in business managment with a minor in accounting. He claims that he is a great businessman. I am still trying to grasp the business plann of creating a store to serve the small germanlook community and set out to piss that community off before you are get it open for business. I now have my opinion of who and what Superman is but I will keep that to myself. I do want everyone to know how the events that brought us here unfolded and for everyone to know the truth. I am sure that Zen and Sandeep will confirm my account of the history of both the .com and .net germanlook sites.
I hope that Superman will stop tryng to say that we hi-jack the files when most view him as the hi-jacker of the community we all built.
Wow, I'm really glad you wrote that, my fingers are sore just thinking about it. I might not have been around from the very very beginning either, but this post is EXACTLY how I remember it all going down as well, but again I wasn't there from the very beginning. It's becoming more and more evident to me that James has taken a wrong turn somewhere, and hearing about his academic accomplishments and seeing how things are unfolding at the same time is only cementing my thoughts. I don't think James is a bad person at all, it just seems like his ego might be getting the better of him. I hope things do work out for him regardless, the community needs active people with passion regardless of the motivation.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old April 21st 2009, 15:52

All drama aside, please be sure all of you are letting everyone know they are back up at a new address. Sandeep emailed all registered members, but it is in everyone's best interest to continue to get the word out. These forums were/are so valuable only due to the level of participation. We are only back up to 115+ active members (recent activity) so far...but it is early. It was over 500 when I gave up the site with a total of over 3,000 members in all. Put www.germanlook.net in your signature in other forums and spread the word in general.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old April 21st 2009, 17:13
Administrator

I wish I could get a voice mail off my cell phone and into an mp3 so I could upload it and everyone could hear Supermans measage to me on April 14th (same day he posted his "They Hi-Jacked My forums" thread. His measage confirmed that we did things just as he asked us to in the first place. That would be all the proof of our story needed.
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old April 21st 2009, 21:17

I spoke with Superman and he is going to take NO_H2O's link off of the GL.com site. He also said that he has no problems with the way you set up the GL.net site ie. sepatating it from the GL.com site and hosting it yourselves. We hope this is water under the bridge and let's all get back to enjoying SuperBeetles, Beetles, GermanLook, EuroLook or any kind of other VW's that you may play with. I have only one last comment on the origin/creation of GermanLook.com and then I am done with the subject. Take a look at this thread on the STF from 2001 and you will see how GermanLook.com got started. That being said, We are just glad the GermanLook Forums are back up and running no matter who is at the helm.

Edit: Fixed Bad Link

Last edited by Bugorsh; April 21st 2009 at 21:41.
Old April 21st 2009, 23:05
Administrator

Ok he was in on the GL.com in the begining. I am glad he was. But he did not build the site, as we all know Alex and Sandeep did that. As I said before the domain name was trasfered from Alex to Zen and then to Superman, This we know to be a fact.The rest of the history has been covered well here. I am glad he has no problem with the way we rebuilt this site. He did not say that in the thread in question posted April 14th on SBO. Did he or did he not agree to delet the thread in question on SBO and will he or will he not apologise to us for him comments. They were way out of line. They were not true. They were a direct stab at the people here who brought this site back from the ashes left by him. They were nothing short of slander.
I am not busting on you Bugorsche. I am glad you are here. I am just looking for the right answer from him. He posted that as a stab at us trying to make us look dishonest and slander us, we posted this thread so that people would know the truth. Every word of his post is a lie. I want to hear the right answer. If I mess up something I step up and take my lumps but I will not let someone make me out to be dishonest or slander me when I have done nothing wrong. He has done just that. If he does not have the right answer, I will do all I can to make sure the truth is know. Again, I want to hear the right answer. Untill today I had forgoten all about the voicmail he left on the 14th and that I had saved it.

BTW. I can forward the voicmail I got from Superman on April 14th giving us congrats for getting the website/forums up and running again. The same day he posted on SBO that we hi-jacked it and that we didn't work with him and we do not know how to conduct business because he has a degree in business managment and we don't. I would love to convert it to mp3 and post it. If you would like to hear it PM me your number and I will forward it to you so you will know who is telling the truth and who is not.
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old April 22nd 2009, 19:39

Superman originally built the GL.com site on Ikon board software and hosted it for a while, Steve Carter can verify this as he is still around and posting on various VW forums, if anyone could locate Alex, he too could corroborate this part of the story. There was not alot of traffic on the site at that time so Superman took it down for about 6 mos. or so. Alex and Sandeep created a GermanLook Forums site on a .org domain. Superman offered to host their GL Forums on the Germanlook.com domain and they agreed. Alex was Admin and Sandeep was the webmaster. Alex then turned the Adimin. job over to Zen who, after it was taking up too much of his personal time, turned it back over to Superman once again. Superman originated and owned the GL.com domain name and assigned it to Alex with the stipulation it would revert back to Superman if he left he scene, Alex then assigned it to Zen with Supermans permission and Zen took over with the understanding that when he got tired of being the Admin, he would sign it back over to Superman which is exactly what happened. Personal time spent to be the Admin appears to be the main factor for it being transferred to all these different people as it takes up alot of time to keep things up to date and running smoothly. The content of the site and all the articles belong to all the members who have helped to make this the great place it is today which is why it has been passed to Sandeep for safe keeping so that all the members can keep contributing and enjoying this GermanLook site. The derogatory post on SBO! will be dealt with and NO_H2O's link will be removed from the GL.com site, so let's all just relax and get back to our VW's.

Edit: to correct factual content

Last edited by Bugorsh; April 22nd 2009 at 20:24.
Old April 23rd 2009, 15:16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugorsh View Post
Alex then assigned it to Zen with Supermans permission and Zen took over with the understanding that when he got tired of being the Admin, he would sign it back over to Superman which is exactly what happened.
I happened to speak with Zen today. He read this and again stated that this part of the story is not true. He is not going to post because he has said all he is going to say. As far as the rest of the above account according to Superman. I could not say. Given how far James had had to back pedal from "I created and have always owened germanlook.com", a few more backstrokes might be needed to have a beleivable acount. The thread in question is still on SBO and there has been no public apology given on either forum for slandering us.
The link to my website on the germanlook tunning page has been removed and I am happy about that. That you Bugorsh for relaying my feelings on that.

I have stated all I care to as well. We have told the truth, acted honestly and acted within the bounds that Superman gave us. I can not speak about the money that many gave to James to keep this site up and running as we have not had any of it transfered to us and I do not have a dog in that fight nor do I want to be a part of it.

Please no more of Supermans acounts of how things were started or who created what or who owned what. They have been picked apart and there is not enough merit left there to argue over. Please do not do anymore speaking for Superman. If he wants to say something let him say it. You are a good member here and a good person and you do not need to be flamed because you were given bad information to post for someone who could not muster the testicular fortitude to do it on thier own. Don't put yourself out on them limb anymore. We can all hear it cracking.
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old April 23rd 2009, 20:53

I am done with it too. (said as I am wrapping rope to repair limb and get back to tree)
Old April 26th 2009, 15:07

So, why won't Superman come into this discussion and answer to all of this personally? Is he so busy that he has to have a mouthpiece to do it for him?

We appreciate your explanations Bugorsh, and I don't mean any disrespect to you by saying that. Seriously, this speaks strongly of James' level of integrity.
'83 928S 4.7
Old April 26th 2009, 23:03

Wow......I am speachless.

Germanlook.com was created really with a lot of money of the GL community.
We all gave money to Superman to get it going. Supe had personal problems back then and the site was going nowhere.
To those that originaly donated to Superman I apologize that I forgot your names to give you credit.

This when Sandeep and I took over which I did discuss with Superman and he was totally fine with it.
Ownership of the domain transferred then as well.
Even when Sandeep and I discussed the passing the site along there was always an understanding between the two of us that the site belongs to the community. Advertising cost were kept low (100$ per year) so that only the cost of running the site was covered. The forum software was bought by me.

I was very lucky to partner with Sandeep on the site and I believe that was the reason that germanlook.com got such a good start.

Well.....I do not drive a beetle anymore....I still have (technically) an aircooled VW (NSU was taken over 69 by AUDI which was/is owned by VW....so if you guys need help I am willing. ;-) It is hard for me to let go and see something struggle along which some of us worked and fought hard for.

Regards,
Alex
Old April 27th 2009, 10:02
Administrator

Great to hear from you Alex. I hope life has been good to you. The History leason is now complete.
I know this site is a hand full to keep up and running. We don't have anyone to hand off to right now so if we devide the work between us so that it is not more that any one person can handle, maybe we can keep it rolling along. I will do what I can. It will not be the first time I had to learn something new.
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe