GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old July 1st 2004, 13:46

Kickbutt Street/Compeditive Track/Canyon Road Dream Car!

I'm curious,

What would be your dream Kickbutt Street/Compitive Track/Canyon Road fun car. IE. A car that is compitive on the track and still streetable; just this side of race. What mods would it have? Bang for buck.. budget is not unlimited, although it can be pricy.
Old July 1st 2004, 14:09

I have had great experience with my WRX, with some mods.

Mods such as Tires,track pads, better strut and spring combo, and swaybars go far.. with a little less restrictive exhaust i.e. uppipe, downpipe and turbo back with some Engine Management it really wakes up the car..

Car is streetable, not to loud, and a whole lot of fun.. so much, my wife enjoys driving it

At the track it is quite good.. Can tackle and pass most cars.. your limiting factor will be the driver.. in good hands it plays well with most..

an 02-03 can be found for 16G's give or take.. about 3-5 grand for upgrades.. and your having fun.. again it all depends on what company and parts you pick..

if you have money and do not what to modify to much then the STI may be for you.. less streetable, but comes as a great package.. other in this price range also include the EVO

That would be my recommendation..

ALex

Plus it is a flat four.. can't go wrong with that..
Old July 1st 2004, 14:16

I started dreaming about My dream car even before I knew what a GL was.
This was about 12 years ago. The basis would be a 69 to 74 Karmann Ghia built around a race style chassis with Porsche suspension, wheels, brakes, 5 speed transmission and a bid T4 motor or possibly even a 6 cylinder engine.

Exteriorwise, it would have Porsche 911 headlights, shaved turn signals (mounted in bumper) body colored fresh air vents, shaved chrome molding, body color bumpers, tinted windows, and an electric rear wing from a Porsche 964 mounted in the deck lid.

Interiorwise, it would have a full leather recarro seats w/ matching rear seat, Porsche style carpeting, full set of Porsche guages, hidden 10 speaker sound system with cd, DVD, & a playstation too.

One of the reasons I sold my 71 Super was because I always wanted to do this to a Ghia. I may not go with the full race chassis, but I will eventually do a Ghia with everything else listed.

Here's a pic to get an idea
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kgprofil+.jpg (48.3 KB, 225 views)

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old July 1st 2004, 14:39

Excelent cars! I'm a fan of the EVO WRX. AWD!! my goodness. make them lighter and wooh!

I was refering more to the wonderful world of VW's old cars with good platforms..
Old July 1st 2004, 19:38

I've always like the 1302's, I never got used to the curved windsheids on the 03's, but I really like the McPherson struts. Basically what I'm doing to mine is my dream setup, beefed up front sus, 944 alloy full rear sus, 901 tranny w/914 gears, health Type IV maybe a turbo or FI down the road (since I got the sport bike I've really been enjoying have the ability to accelerate like a bullet), 944 brakes, gutted interior, sport seats, carbon dash, 944 guages, mono chromatic canary yellow paint, no stereo, 17's...what a GL is all about, a VW supercar.
I have some idea's for the 914 too; f/g trunks, f/g flared fenders, glass bumpers, and valances, 17's, bigger brakes, Porsche 3.6L, roll cage, mono chormatic white paint, carbon dash insert (thanks Carbon Joe)...914 GL.
Old July 1st 2004, 22:20

My ultimate car is sitting in my garage right now. 944 brakes on all 4 corners. Late 944 trailinmg arms with complete 944 suspension. Built type 1 tranny. 18" turbo twists. Käfer cup brace. 914 gauges. The rest is still in the works so there is no telling what it will end up like.
www.volksport.net Volksport Kfer Gruppe
Old July 2nd 2004, 02:08

I've been wondering how you supercharge or turbocharge an aircooled. (I like the go like a bullet thing. Not only from a stop/drag but passing other cars up to say about 80MPH on the freeway.

How do you cool a boosted engine? That's more heat for the engine to take and cooling is a big issue with these aircooled engines it seems. How much boost can they take?

Another thing I'm interested in is cost to run, buy (initially) and make a reliable VW 1302 Superbeetle Supercar vs a watercooled supercar vs Honda vs toyota vs Mitsu vs...whatever vs 5.0 Mustang (do those handle )
Old July 2nd 2004, 03:05
Administrator

If you have never driven or taken a ride in an 1800 lb. bug with 150 hp stuffed up the back of it you might want to do that before you start planning on a 300 hp powerplant. A 150 hp bug is fairly quick, not alot of stuff on the street will run with it. Stuff 200 hp in one and it is crazy quick. Add the right 5 speed to that ant is is both crazy quick and fast. 150 hp should keep all the hot Honda's and 5.0 Mustangs at bay. 200 hp should keep all the rest in your rearview.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old July 2nd 2004, 03:14

That's prety much my goal. Best bang for buck 140-200HP whichever gets me there reliably. Is there anything wrong with having a 4 speed? My MK2 VR6 on the track I've only gone 128MPH. Don't imagine I'd need any more, as long as I can cruse and get good gas milage say..60-80. Rarely do I go faster even in the 6 (although I got pulled over going 95 at 1AM, nobody on the road and my inst cluster didn't work. I knew I was going a lil fast but it was soo smooth..) That I don't do..well intentionally.
Old July 2nd 2004, 08:01
Administrator

Nothing wrong with a 4 speed.
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old July 2nd 2004, 09:11

power to weight is one of the key figures to keep in mind. the other is torque and where it comes on. some engines (rotary, T1) you won't see your power until 4.5k or higher. a TIV will come on about 2.5k. just depends what kind of driving you want to do. by the sounds of it, you lean towards the latter.

i have 176HP at the fly (will know wheels later this year) and expect weight to come in around 1800 give or take 50lbs. that puts me near 10:1. it is plenty.

since i have a standard, handling is sub-par compared to a 1302 or 1303. if i had to do over again, i would probably go 1303, but i like the uniqueness of mine (and benefit) that it is chopped and besides the weight loss i am forced to shift the center of gravity lower by moving the seats closer to the floor.

--low and wide--

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old July 2nd 2004, 14:26

I like that alot. What engine and tranny do you have in your car? I was looking at Massive Type 4 engines. Their nice, but it seems that 148HP is my limit with relibility. I'd love 10:1. What kind of tranny work do you have?

For the same price I can converat a CRX or boost a Miata.. but the superbeetle is all new parts
Old July 2nd 2004, 17:05

Oh I just saw you have a 2316. How much did it cost? Did you have a core to send? How long is it suposed to last? Why not the 2270 C? How do you like the engine? What's your tranny? Do any suspension work?

(one of the questions I have is how hard it is to turn the steering wheel with wide front tires, and how much pedal effort it takes to make the car stop. No power brakes or steering, but it donesn't need it..mabey)
Old July 2nd 2004, 17:59
Administrator

I built my Yard Sale Type 1 at the MassIVe shop(a great learning experience). I have seen lots of nice stuff come out of there. Jake strives to stay on the cutting edge of things. My last trip up, he was getting ready to test some DLC coatings for heat and ware protection, I saw Nickies for a VW for the first time at his shop, ceramic lifters for a VW I first saw at Jakes. There is a 3L Type 4 torque monster in the works up there called project X, I have seen it in different stages. He is working on some billet type 4 heads with Type 1 exhaust ports (just plain sick). He is very close to having a roller lifter/cam to market for the Type 4. Every time I go up there it is like a trip to Mad Scientist Lab.......well I guess it is. Just when you think you have seen it all,,,,,,the twisted Marine from Cleveland GA. will show you something new.
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old July 2nd 2004, 18:12

What's the differences in cost for type 1 vs type 4? Someone told me the prices are very similer for type 1 to type 4 all the way to a mild type 4 converion (vs miald type 1)?