GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old June 4th 2003, 21:12

Best engine for a 356 Speedster?

I'm building a 356 Speedster and would like a recommendation on the best engine size and associated components (carb, cam, etc.) for the kit car. I plan to use the car mostly around town, but it will definately see some highway use (interstate travel to the beach, etc.). I'd like something peppy off the line at a stop light, but I do not intend to race. I also want something that is very dependable and has longevity. I'm willing to consider a Type IV, but so far all I have built are type I engines (I would like to build this engine for the 356 as well). I have a 3:88 trans for the car. Tires/wheels will be pretty much stock height. i'd also like to know what cooling would be best (Porsche fan shroud, oil cooler with temp, or stock shroud). Finally, When suggesting options let's keep price in mind - nothing outrageous please - just a good peppy economical engine set up.
Your suggestions and reasoning would be appreciated.
Jake, if you sell a kit, I'd like to know more about it.
Thanks,
Steve
Old June 5th 2003, 10:41

22270 C without a doubt.

I do sell a kit for this engine size..
Old June 5th 2003, 13:59

Jakes engines and kits have a great reputation, if you can afford one, by all means do it.

If you need to spend less, here's my opinion and it's just that, my opinion.

2056cc (71x96) using a counterweighted 2L crank, have all rotating parts balanced, pick a WebCam and lifters that suits your intended use, 1.8l heads (41x34) valves (have them gone through completely), set the compression at 8.5 or 9 -1, depending on the cam choice, using a .040" deck height, dual 40mm Dellortos, a Mallory distributor, a type 1 style fan kit (911 cooling is not needed). It won't be the most "scienced out" engine but built correctly should make about 100 hp and last a lifetime. It still won't be as cheap as a type 1 but will last longer.

ken
Old June 5th 2003, 16:10

How big can you go?? 2386cc T1 or 2.9L T4, with turbo. That should be fun.

I got the full specs of my street car to be on my site - 2332cc T1
Old April 23rd 2009, 03:09

I don't think you can go much bigger in a 356/912 (non type 4) than 86mm pistons. As for the conversion I would keep it stock and have Duane Spencer (Shasta design) build it for you. That is all he does, he does it better than anyone, and he breaks the motor in for you and makes all the adjustments after the break in before you pick it up. I would use the solex P11 carbs by all means and the Bursch exhaust. Keep the stock cam it works very well and provides great power from idle to 5800 rpm! And keep the stock porsche fan shroud and do a full flow oil filter and your done, drive it like I have been doing for over 10 yrs now. vwdon