GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old April 8th 2012, 10:33

Hey Francelle, good to see your making progress on your motor.I agree with Richard on the lifters.Light lifters are an advantage,yes. If you insist on running the 356 lifters with turbo you will have to re-think some things.Titanium valves to reduce weight and therefore spring pressure.But how will it hold up in the long run? In your 103x88 (iirc) application you are forced to run a cam with a 1" or smaller base circle which makes the ramps steeper and harder on the valvetrain,more spring pressure is required to keep the lifter on the cam.That's one reason why I gave up on the 3 Liter turbo project and switched to a 2320cc 102x71.If I ever do decide on more power than the stock crank and rods can cope with I will just go with the same size crank but in billet from Moldex and Pauter rods.All of which is unlikely to happen...
Next question is: why do you want so much oil pressure? What do you expect to gain from it? I would concentrate more on cooling.60-70psi is plenty.
What main bearing size do you need? Std?
Old April 9th 2012, 22:28

I'm wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad bug View Post
effvee which of the BMW bearing can be used in the t4.
Hi, I won't be able to use BMW bearings at all. I have .020 over sive mains.
Old April 9th 2012, 22:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Turbobug View Post
Hey Francelle, good to see your making progress on your motor.I agree with Richard on the lifters.Light lifters are an advantage,yes. If you insist on running the 356 lifters with turbo you will have to re-think some things.Titanium valves to reduce weight and therefore spring pressure.But how will it hold up in the long run? In your 103x88 (iirc) application you are forced to run a cam with a 1" or smaller base circle which makes the ramps steeper and harder on the valvetrain,more spring pressure is required to keep the lifter on the cam.That's one reason why I gave up on the 3 Liter turbo project and switched to a 2320cc 102x71.If I ever do decide on more power than the stock crank and rods can cope with I will just go with the same size crank but in billet from Moldex and Pauter rods.All of which is unlikely to happen...
Next question is: why do you want so much oil pressure? What do you expect to gain from it? I would concentrate more on cooling.60-70psi is plenty.
What main bearing size do you need? Std?
I choose the Mazda oil pressure regulator, set at 80psi. I'll have 8 quarts to run with, and oil squirters, one day I hope to find out like Walter did. If I can find a business willing to laser my lifters and be reasonable, I'll have them done. Oil on the lobes fave can't hurt, and hopefullly to the positive. One person said too much oil pressure will keep the engine hot. I want it by-passed only after it been through the oil cooler. My Jeep ran 70psi all the time, I liked it, the engine ran quite.

One of the problems with not knowing is, not really knowing. My new size is 104X88 due to my machinst bo-bo, so now have to order a new set of pistons(double damn).

And then I have my cylinders made from just word alone on the stud pattern, only to have them wrong, damn. I really like the wide fins, but again another hard choice for not knowing.

Can anyone in Germany get me a sec of Klaus lower tins (see)?

Old April 10th 2012, 14:57

If you are running a 911 style fan and a good shroud you won't need those tins,they dont work well with other shrouds.They only work with the Klaus shroud because there is a hose that goes from the shroud to the tin.With your aluminum cylinders you won't need tins anyway and they wouldn't fit properly either.Also, you want air to pass through the cylinders from above.It doesn't make sense to blow air from the bottom that collides with the downward air.The heat needs to escape from the cylinders and heads and not twirl around all over the place.
Send me the specs on your pistons,if they fit my application I may be interested in buying them from you.

Last edited by 70Turbobug; April 10th 2012 at 15:02.
Old April 10th 2012, 20:27

Pistons

Hi Mark, the pistons are not for sell, I have other cylinders that they will fit. One of my major problems were for the two set of heads that I have. The cylinders will fit my third set of heads and pistons, but that's down the road. My heads were opened up for the 105's, thus I had to have my machinst make four rings to compensate they cylinders. The machinst that did the work was working from a very large lath. I had Jorge at EMW bring them back into specs, thus the new 104s. Ok, if Mr. Klus won't work and I still feel I will need some sort of deflection, I will maybe use the type one or type IV deflectors. I have Walters early version shroud for his early project. However, given the fact that the 911/11 blade has very nice seperators, I may just make four runners to each cylinder. Either way Mark, I need to get my 2110 turbo out of the way and a re-vamped 2332.
Old April 12th 2012, 06:26

The outside diameter of 103mm,104mm and 105mm cylinders are the same.Why did you have to use rings or am I misunderstanding something? My Deutz cylinders have a larger outside diameter than the Mahle,JE and AA cylinders so I had to machine the case and heads a little larger.It sounds like you have had a lot set backs with your engine besides the EP heads issue which I remember too well.I hope you have better luck now and finally get it finished.
Back to the deflector issue...deflectors are useless with such big engines,because they are simply too small! The engine is wider, the cylinders longer.Trust me Remmele doesn't use them either.Anything with a stroker crank and longer cylinders the deflectors become more of a hazard than an improvement in cooling.Also you have custom cylinders so the off the shelf stuff won't fit anyway,at least not properly...
Old April 13th 2012, 00:40

Added ring

Hi Mark, the added ring is due to way back when; Gregg Riddle of Rimco offered a wider sealing surface for the type IV cylinders. It was to add a extra sealing area.

These are the cast iron 94's opened up to 96's and with a added sealing ring. I also had the heads and cylinder dual "O" ring grooved.

These 2.0 head were opened up for the extra sealing ring. I also had the 1.7 heads done the same way. But then I got greedy and wanted more bore and stroke.

I have read somewhere the lower side of the cylinder do need air routing, so I'm going to address it some how and when I get to that point. I need to have the heads CC and see how much of my combustion chamber were enlarged in my porting. I want 8 compression, and possibly zero piston to cylinder height; I hope my heads were opened up enough to gain the 8 compression ratio. So now you know why the extra ring on the latest version. and this is it no matter what

Old April 14th 2012, 20:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Turbobug View Post
My Deutz cylinders have a larger outside diameter than the Mahle,JE and AA cylinders so I had to machine the case and heads a little larger...

Mark couldn't the bottom of the liners be machined down so they are the standard fit of the 103mm to 105mm bore. Why i ask is i dont want to take too much from the case. The heads i was thinking of utilizing the wider sealing surface of the deutz to help seal the liners to the head.

For some reason i am still thinking of using dual plug 993 or is it 964 heads to build a overfly engine.
Old April 16th 2012, 04:34

Actually,after I had posted that it got me thinking,I went back and measured my case.The spigots are still the standard size for 103 and 105mm cylinders.I had machined the heads larger.I did just machine the heads for the larger diameter Deutz cylinders and machined the bottom of the cylinders to fit the case. If you´re wanting an overfly engine based on the type 4 then talk to Russ Fellows (Bobtail ?).He has done the same thing.Ralf Noll from ADV Performance (here in Germany) builds and sells complete overfly engines.His engine however is his own developement with his own case,cams and internals.A really fantastic engine,though! A type 4 based overfly would probably be cheaper.However,then you are starting from scratch again and won´t be able to use your current cylinders either.To be honest with you,I wouldn´t go through all the trouble and you have had enough of it so far,right? I would get JE pistons and cyinders and a set of Pauter Pro heads and be done with it.You will be able to run 500-600hp - who needs more? Pauter is just around the corner from you and you won´t have any shipping hassles etc. with JE either.If it gets too hot on the street run water/methanol injection additionally.Seriously - as much as I like the overfly engine and what Russ Fellows did - at this point I think you would be loading up a whole lot of work and stress and another year or 2 of waiting and hassle.Just my 2 cents and I mean that with respect for you.

Nice pics by the way! Slap them on and just get JE pistons and cylinders and be ready to go!