GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old April 11th 2003, 10:06

Cutting the decklid? (Porsche fan)

I've noticed a lot of the 'late' beetle owners cutting their decklids so that the Porsche fan setup will fit. Is this a requirement, or can something be modifed to eliminate the cut?

I'm planning on putting a RAT 2270 engine in an early '60s Beetle. I'd rather not cut the lid. (especially since it wouldn't be as hidden as in a late model)

Thanks.
Old April 11th 2003, 10:30

Thumbs up Depends

Craig, I have not had to do any cutting in my 1964 type 1 . It depends on if its a type 4 and whos conversion you are using. I am using a Sharpbuilt kit from Australia and the only thing I have done is drill some holes behind the number ploate to let some more air in ,and you cant see these holes. You just mount the plate on some rubber standoffs.
Cheers David

Big motor-Big brakes-Big wheels-Big FUN !!!!
Old April 11th 2003, 10:33

If you use the Fat Performance 911 shroud cutting is required. The Fat shroud was developed for offroad competition so clearance was not an issue. No case machining is required either. It is the least expensive of the 911 shrouds. If you use one of the other shrouds cutting is not required because they were designed for the type 1 from the start and case machining is required.
ken
Old April 11th 2003, 11:52

Ok, so with the Sharpbuilt 911 kit, I shouldn't have to do much other than drill some holes for improved cooling behind the license plate.

Jake does recommend this kit on his webpage, so that is probably what I'll go with. If machining of the case is necessary, I'll leave that to him!

Thanks for the clarification guys!

EDIT: Yeah, this is for a type IV conversion
Old April 11th 2003, 13:04

craig, jake does both. looks like i will be going back to using a FAT as jake is reporting a delay in the Sharpbuilt shrouds right now. i already have a FAT as i was planning on using a runner (like Sandeep) has done, but ran into some money and was able to go with a RAT sooner rather than later.

so jake will do either. the FAT is easier on him, but tougher on the car owner due to the decklid issue. i have some possible decklid designs i have been playing with just to do something "different". they are below. not sure how much any of them will cost at this point. let me get some votes so i know opinions for the hell of it.

the main difference is that FAT has the fan sit on top of the breather chimney and all others machine the chimney down to get the engine "shorter" to fit under the lid.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design

Last edited by zen; April 11th 2003 at 13:09.
Old April 11th 2003, 13:33

Nice design.

I think I might have the same problem with my decklid....only that I will not cut it. I might change my Porsche fan. Having the old long decklid makes it even harder to fit the Porsche fan without cutting the decklid.

BTW....I believe the was already a rear decklid that had a scoop like that many years ago.

Alex
Old April 11th 2003, 19:35
VW consumer products reseller and researcher

Alex do you mean one like this? If so I've been think about making a mold off this one and making them in carbon. But I like the way Zen's #4 lid looks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old lid.jpg (22.8 KB, 79 views)
Old April 11th 2003, 20:03

That is it.

My friend had in on his beetle in Germany 89 when I joind the aircooled mania.

Alex
Old April 11th 2003, 20:14

After my findings this week (watch for them on my forum and the STF) I dislike the 911 shroud even more!

I can do the 911 either way. The FAT shroud is fine, and is less work for me, for sure. The Sharpebuilt is a better looking kit, but adds a solid day to the build time of the engine.

Craig, you should have came up to see me this week, I dynoed 7 engines since last Saturday, its all I have done all week. Of those only one had a 911 fan, it ran HOTTER than the rest!!!! No lie!
Old April 11th 2003, 21:26

Quote:
Originally posted by Carbon Joe
Alex do you mean one like this? If so I've been think about making a mold off this one and making them in carbon. But I like the way Zen's #4 lid looks.
let's talk joe. if you think this is something you will be doing soon i may be interested. the one thing i have not figured out in my tiny little head is how to deal with diverting rain and such from the intake. thoughts?

Last edited by zen; April 11th 2003 at 21:30.
Old April 12th 2003, 08:49

Quote:
Originally posted by Massive Type IV
After my findings this week (watch for them on my forum and the STF) I dislike the 911 shroud even more!

Craig, you should have came up to see me this week, I dynoed 7 engines since last Saturday, its all I have done all week. Of those only one had a 911 fan, it ran HOTTER than the rest!!!! No lie!
Yeah, I just figured that as long as I'm spending all that loot, I would want to see something really cool in the back. But hey, if I'm spending all that loot, I want it to run good also. . .

I wish I could have been up there. I drove up to West Va a couple of weeks ago for some snowboarding, and paid special attention to where Cleveland is! Budget plans are in the works!
Old April 12th 2003, 11:57

Cool.......Let me know when you get the figures ironed out!
Old April 13th 2003, 11:07

calling all aerodynamic experts

so what is the impact of design #4 on air in the engine bay. does the scoop work against the low pressure zone that the fresh air grills create to suck in air? does it matter as the 911 fan will probably pull any air it needs? keep one thing in mind that the scoop will probably not be a straight through. it will probably have a rain tray and some type of diverter to avoid the pit falls of standoffs.

any other thoughts.

Old April 13th 2003, 13:09
VW consumer products reseller and researcher

If you run a roof spoiler you won't have that low pressure zone. If not, the fan and carbs will pull what it needs. I don't think it will create a ram air effect, just a larger area for air to enter the engine bay (kind of like stand off's). I think with the right shape using a grill with a rain tray would look great. With the grill and tray removable for when you want to show off what's under the decklid.
Old April 14th 2003, 08:58
Administrator

Thumbs up Nice !

I like design #4 the best. Its subtle and the lines look nice. Would you do away with the grills on the stock lid and just have some sort of grill in the fan area ? Or would the carbs benefit from the stock grills ?

Would fibreglass be an option ?

This will definately make the Fat 911 kit more of an option for people.

Sandeep